Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just saw a one-way from PHL to LAX for $29 in April. Wow.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
How insane, transcon round-trips under $150 in Main Cabin, with essentially guaranteed upgrades. Just play the "Get The Virus And Die" lottery.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
3/28 flight 2999 PHX-OKC Skywest CR7. 6 passengers total, all in main cabin. The gate agent told us at boarding to sit anywhere between rows 4 and 14 and to spread out as much as possible. This appeared to leave a buffer between passengers and the galleys.

My guess as to why this flight isnt cancelled is because it provides the aircraft for the 5 AM OKC-DFW flight. That 5 AM CR7 is one of the few OKC-DFW flights that are operating every day and not being cancelled.

Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I send to be in southern Georgia for work Monday morning. I booked RDU-CLT-MGM-CLT-RDU last week.

- This morning I woke up and found RDU-CLT and CLT-MGM were cancelled. I rebooked RDU-DCA-MGM
- This afternoon I was notified CLT-RDU was cancelled. I rebooked myself on MGM-DFW-RDU
- 20 minutes later DFW-RDU cancelled. I called AA and was rebooked on MGM-CLT-GSO
- Three hours later I received notifications that DCA-MGM and MGM-CLT were cancelled. AA autorebooked me MGM-CLT-GSO 22 hours later

I had to cancel the ticket and rebook on Delta.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by redtop43
How insane, transcon round-trips under $150 in Main Cabin, with essentially guaranteed upgrades. Just play the "Get The Virus And Die" lottery.
When there's an antibody titer available, those who have cleared the virus will be traveling like kings.
GaryZ and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:27 am

Interesting stuff

So I have to make a trip DFW-TUS in 2 weeks. (Yes I am in essential biz) and looking at flights.
Direct seemed kinda expensive. So looked at PHX and driving. Seat map 1st is almost full and Y is over 50% full.

I am wondering since many flights have canceled are they all being put on the few remaining? Or have people just not canceled yet?

Dont want to fly with lots of others. Also don’t want to drive 15 hrs either. Guess I will continue to monitor and wait till 1-2 days in advance to make decisions
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by shaddie
So I have to make a trip DFW-TUS in 2 weeks. (Yes I am in essential biz) and looking at flights.
Direct seemed kinda expensive. So looked at PHX and driving. Seat map 1st is almost full and Y is over 50% full.

I am wondering since many flights have canceled are they all being put on the few remaining? Or have people just not canceled yet?

Dont want to fly with lots of others. Also don’t want to drive 15 hrs either. Guess I will continue to monitor and wait till 1-2 days in advance to make decisions
In order to keep social distancing AA is blocking many seats. An occupied seat might not actually have a butt in it. Also, schedules are changing 24-72 hours out so I would wait until close to departure. But I doubt you're going to be on a full flight. Not with 10% or less load factors.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Flights I was on a few weeks ago were maybe 1/3 full. I assume that loads have dropped, but now so many flights have been canceled that capacity is down, too.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Question: I have a trip this weekend which was booked in J months ago. A321. AA "there's been a change in your trip" email says I am in 3F, I assume in compliance with first row being blocked for social distancing measures. But AA seat map / my reservation and EF show 3F open and me in my originally selected 1F.

I do NOT want to sit in F if they are going to cram it with upgrades. I would rather sit in main cabin. Does anyone know if AA is limiting elite upgrades / SWUs on flights to maintain social distancing? Also, should I move to 3F now since AA is likely to put me there regardless?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tismfu
Question: I have a trip this weekend which was booked in J months ago. A321. AA "there's been a change in your trip" email says I am in 3F, I assume in compliance with first row being blocked for social distancing measures. But AA seat map / my reservation and EF show 3F open and me in my originally selected 1F.

I do NOT want to sit in F if they are going to cram it with upgrades. I would rather sit in main cabin. Does anyone know if AA is limiting elite upgrades / SWUs on flights to maintain social distancing? Also, should I move to 3F now since AA is likely to put me there regardless?

Thanks for any insight.
Yes I can tell you AA is blocking all of row 1 and only allowing one per person on each side of the row. You won't be in a completely full F cabin as there isn't even enough paxs for upgrades. BTW the seats maps on the app (if that's what you're looking at are a mess). You likely will be moved out of 1F anyway.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
On flights I took a couple weeks ago, the load factors were around 10% and I was the only person in first.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I was on an Eagle flight from COU to ORD on Friday as the sole passenger. Flying out of a small airport I could see the only other gate and a United flight (also from COU to ORD) left a few minutes ahead of mine with a single passenger as well. It was a little eerie to have the flight attendants begin the safety announcements and the arrival into ORD with my name.
AAway likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I was on an Eagle flight from COU to ORD on Friday as the sole passenger. Flying out of a small airport I could see the only other gate and a United flight (also from COU to ORD) left a few minutes ahead of mine with a single passenger as well. It was a little eerie to have the flight attendants begin the safety announcements and the arrival into ORD with my name.
that sounds awkward. Did they look directly at you when doing their gig?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
ORD-LAS today on a 737. 3 in F and 15 in the back. Crazy!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As an update, my 1F held. But when I boarded with Group 1 there was already a uniformed AA crew member in 2F. Not a FAM. Talking on a cellphone nonstop without a mask. My long-standing germaphobia-based neuroses are in overdrive .

(Appears to be a non-rev as 2F remains unassigned on EF.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.