Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA are flight loads being affected by Coronavirus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 12, 20, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
At the beginning of the Covid “era” flight loads appeared quite light. As AA refined flights, routes and aircraft, many fewer seats has meant in some instances full aircraft and oversold flights. In others higher capacity widebody aircraft may offer less crowded cabins. International flights are often operating way below capacity at this time, as many nations have bans in place for American and other specified country’s visitors other than those permitted to travel for essential services. Check aa.com sherpa for further information about international destinations’ current Covid-related restrictions.

AA does not block middle seats in coach.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 10, 20, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

Currently sitting on 2755 to Seattle. 96 passengers (dark 321) on board and cleared F days ago. This flight is always typically zeroed out.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Currently sitting on 2755 to Seattle. 96 passengers on board and cleared F days ago. This flight is always typically zeroed out.
Was on a YYZ to CLT flight on Sunday and was pretty full. CLT was its normal bustling self on a Sunday evening. Not particularly empirical data but all I got.

Safe Traels
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
Was on a YYZ to CLT flight on Sunday and was pretty full. CLT was its normal bustling self on a Sunday evening. Not particularly empirical data but all I got.

Safe Traels
Is that an Eagle or mainline flight?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Currently sitting on 2755 to Seattle. 96 passengers (dark 321) on board and cleared F days ago. This flight is always typically zeroed out.
There’s a reason why no one is traveling to/from SEA....the large corporations have suspended travel. It’s also the largest hotspot of the US virus.

Try flying to NYC....no upgrades and completely packed planes.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Is that an Eagle or mainline flight?
Eagle flight.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Flew from Charlotte to Curacao Saturday for a family vacation (we were originally going to Milan for Spring break...). All but about 8 - 9 seats taken on a A319. CLT was surprisingly busy Saturday morning, but I think things are going to slow down dramatically. I have already postponed business trips to Rotterdam and Seattle, in addition to cancelling our vacation in Italy.
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:50 pm

DFW-PHX on Monday cleared earlier (if at all)than normal.

Upgrade list was still 41 and only about 5 standbys made it on.
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't generalize these things.

All short-term.

If these frequencies aren't profitably supported, they will be toast.

SEA is a special case as the largest corporate customers for air travel have cancelled their business travel.
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Flew MIA to IAH yesteday, monthly flight for me and F was full; everyone on the upgrade list had cleared (first time I've seen that). Y was about 75%...
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Con. Key; Hyatt Globalist
Dfw to phx was full on Sunday also. Like 30 on upgrade list and only few standbys cleared. Flew out of dfw terminal d and it was not busy at all compared to normal.

Side note - Even domestic hotels are being affected. The Resort here in scottsdale is very empty. Staff tells me that they had 300 cancellations (out of 480 rooms) for this spring break week.
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
DFW to STL last Friday, every seat filled and not all standbys cleared. The airport itself was extremely quiet mid morning.
Old Mar 10, 20, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
SFO>DFW>JAX>CLT>SFO all seemed about 3/4 full this Friday and Sunday. CLT>SFO had 2 empty seats in first class.
Old Mar 10, 20, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
This evening DFW-ORD AA2520 789, J is full, 13 PAX on upgrade list, for a Tuesday evening that is a lot of PAX on the upgrade list for a widebody, during the current health concern situation.

My flight this morning had six empty J seats.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
There’s a reason why no one is traveling to/from SEA....the large corporations have suspended travel. It’s also the largest hotspot of the US virus.

Try flying to NYC....no upgrades and completely packed planes.
Not my experience. I took the AA shuttle DCA/LGA yesterday morning, the plane was maybe 25% full, which is crazy for a Monday morning. My return this morning was less full than that, and I cleared into F on an A319 (only 8 F seats) as only a Plat Pro, as did 2 others including one below me on the upgrade list. That is not business as usual, at all.
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA/RDU I was in paid F. Half the F cabin was full. Y was less than half full. But again it's a Tuesday (but not too long ago Tuesday still mean't jammed planes and no upgrades for below EXP).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: