Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (10 Mar 2020 - obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Network updates — link

Updated April 2, 2020.

American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

Carrier further reduces international capacity for summer and winter

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will make further capacity cuts this summer to address record low customer demand. The airline will:
  • Suspend more than 60% of international capacity for the peak summer travel season versus the same period last year.
  • Delay the launch of new routes, including service from Philadelphia (PHL) to Casablanca (CMN), Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK) and Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore (BLR) to 2021.
  • Delay the launch of new winter seasonal service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Christchurch (CHC) and from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Auckland (AKL) to winter 2021.
  • Suspend 25 total summer seasonal flights until summer 2021.

Summer and winter capacity will be reduced

American will suspend more than 60% of its total international capacity this summer compared to the same peak period in 2019, which includes an 80% reduction in Pacific capacity, 65% reduction in Atlantic capacity and 48% reduction in Latin America capacity. These changes are due to significantly decreased customer demand as well as government travel restrictions — both related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The reduced summer schedule, as well as the previously announced domestic schedule reductions for May, will be reflected on aa.com starting Sunday, April 5.

The airline previously announced that new service to AKL from DFW, CHC from LAX and BLR from SEA would all begin in October 2020, but American will now begin operating those routes in winter 2021. The resumption of existing service to AKL from LAX — which was originally slated to resume in early October 2020 — will now resume at the end of October 2020.

American will further extend the start date of new routes. Service to London (LHR) from Boston (BOS) will now launch in October 2020 and service to Tel Aviv (TLV) from DFW will begin in September 2021. Service to CMN from PHL and KRK from ORD will not launch this year, as well as 23 existing summer seasonal routes.

A full list of changes to the international summer schedule is below. There are no further changes at this time.
New schedule changes can be seen here
Will American make additional schedule changes?
American continues to review the airline’s flight schedule to ensure that customers’ needs are accommodated and will make additional refinements as necessary.

How will customers know if they are impacted?
American's Reservations team will contact affected customers directly by email or telephone. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly.

My flight was canceled, and I don’t want to rebook. Can I get a refund?
Yes. If a flight is canceled and a customer chooses to not be rebooked, they may request a full refund by visiting aa.com/refunds.

Also see here for news in aa.com

See here for AA Coronavirus changes (this) or downloadable PDF

See here for AA Travel Alerts

Print Wikipost

AA 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (10 Mar 2020 - obsolete)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by mrosskam
I currently have a RT ORD-HKG (via Lax outbound and DFW inbound) on 5/20-5/31 booked in PE with confirmed SWUs on each. Any idea if they will just place me on a Cathay flight in business as an EXP due to this now? I haven’t heard a word from them and trip still shows ticketed and confirmed.
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Any idea which domestic routes will be on the receiving end of the repositioned widebodies?
Wait for schedule change mentioned by seawolf to be loaded.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by sam2k2002
Any idea which domestic routes will be on the receiving end of the repositioned widebodies?
Initially I would think trunk routes (ORD/MIA has a 772 flight next month) and high volume routes, however, if domestic travel plummets (and that looks more like when not if) I can't see AA flying around half full 772s between hubs and other cities such as SFO, MCO, and BOS.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
RDU is a ghost town today as well as the AC. It 'swhat airports and lounges used to look like on a Wednesday morning 20 years ago. The CEO of B6 today said that it's shaping up to be worst than post 9/11. We could quickly see post 9/11 flight loads (I remember like 10-15 people on a 737). I assume airlines can park some planes but only so many can be parked. The ULCC will really be hosed.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some have attempted to change or cancel based on the news, but remember the schedule won’t be loaded until the weekend and most agents won’t waive change fees, etc. until the schedule changes are loaded into the system.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some have attempted to change or cancel based on the news, but remember the schedule won’t be loaded until the weekend and most agents won’t waive change fees, etc. until the schedule changes are loaded into the system.

Time estimate?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
Time estimate?
Usually happens overnight from Saturday into Sunday. For me in the past, it's been completed as early as 2 am Mountian time Sunday.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Initially I would think trunk routes (ORD/MIA has a 772 flight next month) and high volume routes, however, if domestic travel plummets (and that looks more like when not if) I can't see AA flying around half full 772s between hubs and other cities such as SFO, MCO, and BOS.
Except that AA could market it as:
Everyone gets to spread out on the plane, so no one has to sit next to anyone else they don't know.
in hopes that on those routes they'd get some travelers who don't mind flying in general but do mind flying on crowded planes.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except that AA could market it as:
Everyone gets to spread out on the plane, so no one has to sit next to anyone else they don't know.
in hopes that on those routes they'd get some travelers who don't mind flying in general but do mind flying on crowded planes.
Maybe they could even call it "More room throughout coach"
Spiff, ryan182, sdsearch and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Looks like the nonstop AUS-SJC has been suspended... It was available for purchase yesterday, but seems gone now.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Some coming attractions here:
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bunch of cancellations and suspension of service here. Travel Alerts haven't been updated yet. Newsroom - American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19 - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm curious how they're going to be able to get away with the accelerated mainline aircraft retirements when there's been a mainline to regional ratio problem due to the MAX grounding. I wonder if more regional jets will have to be parked?

Also, ALL 757s are gone by the end of 2021?! That's several years ahead of schedule!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thank you for posting the link!

When do we expect these changes will be loaded? Overnight Saturday?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:53 am
C46

Going to miss the 76!

From a pax' point of view - yes, they need to go.

But as an AV-geek/airport worker - loved them! Noisy, dirty, lovably unfitting for today. And I loved the 1L-operation, the noisy "clank" of the lever and then pressing the switch, so that the "curtain"/door rises...memories.
AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
I was on the phone with the ExP line this morning and they did tell me a schedule update will load on Saturday night. Obviously, I dont know if all of the above changes will be loaded or not.
As a side note, a lot of C inventory was released for the DFW-HKG route earlier this week. Now that my SWUs cleared, I feel much better about possibly being moved to another airline
silverthief2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.