Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (10 Mar 2020 - obsolete)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Network updates — link

Updated April 2, 2020.

American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

Carrier further reduces international capacity for summer and winter

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will make further capacity cuts this summer to address record low customer demand. The airline will:
  • Suspend more than 60% of international capacity for the peak summer travel season versus the same period last year.
  • Delay the launch of new routes, including service from Philadelphia (PHL) to Casablanca (CMN), Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK) and Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore (BLR) to 2021.
  • Delay the launch of new winter seasonal service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Christchurch (CHC) and from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Auckland (AKL) to winter 2021.
  • Suspend 25 total summer seasonal flights until summer 2021.

Summer and winter capacity will be reduced

American will suspend more than 60% of its total international capacity this summer compared to the same peak period in 2019, which includes an 80% reduction in Pacific capacity, 65% reduction in Atlantic capacity and 48% reduction in Latin America capacity. These changes are due to significantly decreased customer demand as well as government travel restrictions — both related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The reduced summer schedule, as well as the previously announced domestic schedule reductions for May, will be reflected on aa.com starting Sunday, April 5.

The airline previously announced that new service to AKL from DFW, CHC from LAX and BLR from SEA would all begin in October 2020, but American will now begin operating those routes in winter 2021. The resumption of existing service to AKL from LAX — which was originally slated to resume in early October 2020 — will now resume at the end of October 2020.

American will further extend the start date of new routes. Service to London (LHR) from Boston (BOS) will now launch in October 2020 and service to Tel Aviv (TLV) from DFW will begin in September 2021. Service to CMN from PHL and KRK from ORD will not launch this year, as well as 23 existing summer seasonal routes.

A full list of changes to the international summer schedule is below. There are no further changes at this time.
New schedule changes can be seen here
Will American make additional schedule changes?
American continues to review the airline’s flight schedule to ensure that customers’ needs are accommodated and will make additional refinements as necessary.

How will customers know if they are impacted?
American's Reservations team will contact affected customers directly by email or telephone. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly.

My flight was canceled, and I don’t want to rebook. Can I get a refund?
Yes. If a flight is canceled and a customer chooses to not be rebooked, they may request a full refund by visiting aa.com/refunds.

Also see here for news in aa.com

See here for AA Coronavirus changes (this) or downloadable PDF

See here for AA Travel Alerts

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald

American Airlines Group Inc. said Tuesday it is reducing international and domestic capacity through the summer peak season as it continues to struggle with the fallout from the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. The airline is cutting international capacity by 10%, including a 55% reduction in trans-Pacific capacity. In the U.S., the airline is cutting capacity by 7.5% in April. The company is suspending service to mainland China from LAX and Dallas-Fort Worth through the summer. It is suspending service to Hong Kong from Dallas-Fort Worth through June and will resume with a limited service in July. It is extending the suspension of service to Seoul, South Korea from Dallas-Forth Worth into early May, and will operate flights to Tokyo's Narita International Airport and Haneda International Airport from LAX and Dallas-Forth Worth with smaller aircraft starting in May. In Europe, the airline is suspending service to Rome from Philadelphia effective immediately through end April; it is extending the suspension of service to Milan, delaying the seasonal resumption of flights to Barcelona from Charlotte and to Venice from Chicago to early June; it is delaying the seasonal resumption of flights to Rome from New York and Dallas-Fort Worth through the end of April and suspending operation of its second daily flight from Dallas-Forth Worth to Rome. The company is reducing service to Paris and Madrid for parts of May and June. Shares rose 7.9% in premarket trade, but are down 54% in the last 12 months, while the S&P 500 SPX, -7.59% has gained 0.1%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...son-2020-03-10
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Specific destinations and dates here.
https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com...anges-response

Also said they'd be redeploying internationally configured aircraft into domestic service. If anyone has examples please let me know. I see BOS MIA introduces a 777 beginning March 30.

Last edited by edsh; Mar 10, 2020 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by edsh

Also said they'd be redeploying internationally configured aircraft into domestic service. If anyone has examples please let me know. I see BOS MIA introduces a 777 beginning March 30.
Whoa. Some of those are big changes. And, there is some contradictory info between the text and the table. Several of the new additions to suspensions have not loaded yet into the reservations systems (i.e. AA will still sell you seats on the cancelled flights)
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc

Looks like there is twice daily 777 service BOS/MIA. One of those has been on the books for a while to get the frame in for the new BOS/LHR route, but the 2nd one (late evening arrival/early am departure) is a recent change.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Whoa. Some of those are big changes. And, there is some contradictory info between the text and the table. Several of the new additions to suspensions have not loaded yet into the reservations systems (i.e. AA will still sell you seats on the cancelled flights)
Also, my May flight to from DFW to HND, and my return June flight, are still showing the 773 with me in an F seat both ways. I expect I will receive an email soon telling me of the airplane change to a 788 and being moved to a J seat. Not a huge deal as I had used a couple of SWUs to move from J to F in the first place, it just that I will lose both SWUs as they were ones expiring on 1/31/2020 unless you applied it to a flight.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by jridge
American Airlines Group Inc. said Tuesday it is reducing international and domestic capacity through the summer peak season as it continues to struggle with the fallout from the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. The airline is cutting international capacity by 10%, including a 55% reduction in trans-Pacific capacity. In the U.S., the airline is cutting capacity by 7.5% in April. The company is suspending service to mainland China from LAX and Dallas-Fort Worth through the summer. It is suspending service to Hong Kong from Dallas-Fort Worth through June and will resume with a limited service in July. It is extending the suspension of service to Seoul, South Korea from Dallas-Forth Worth into early May, and will operate flights to Tokyo's Narita International Airport and Haneda International Airport from LAX and Dallas-Forth Worth with smaller aircraft starting in May. In Europe, the airline is suspending service to Rome from Philadelphia effective immediately through end April; it is extending the suspension of service to Milan, delaying the seasonal resumption of flights to Barcelona from Charlotte and to Venice from Chicago to early June; it is delaying the seasonal resumption of flights to Rome from New York and Dallas-Fort Worth through the end of April and suspending operation of its second daily flight from Dallas-Forth Worth to Rome. The company is reducing service to Paris and Madrid for parts of May and June. Shares rose 7.9% in premarket trade, but are down 54% in the last 12 months, while the S&P 500 SPX, -7.59% has gained 0.1%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...son-2020-03-10

AA has canceled over 7 international flights in past 2 years that I have booked for award travel.
Twice in past 3 weeks 2 international flights canceled.
Think I need a NEW airline FF program!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Glad to see this thread. I checked all 8 of my upcoming flights. Two minor changes (a few minutes) and one significant change (2 hours on both legs). I called in to adjust the big change a bit to improve it. No problem in doing so.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL

I've seen the opposite though... MIA to LAX was supposed to run two 777 configs, but in July that's 1* 767 and 3* A321 daily. I just had an alert and managed to move my flight to connect elsewhere.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I've seen the opposite though... MIA to LAX was supposed to run two 777 configs, but in July that's 1* 767 and 3* A321 daily. I just had an alert and managed to move my flight to connect elsewhere.
I'm hoping for more MIA widebodies especial to SFO and LAX. I'm still baffled by the lack of an early morning SFO flight in May.
mkt and SunkissedMommy like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
I just avoided the axe (at least for now) -- my FCO-JFK is on April 24th!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
There is a schedule change rolling out this weekend.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...ange-fees.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:40 pm

Interesting. Last week my FLL > DFW > YVR on July 8th changed from a 6am flight to 5:35am. Fine by me as I get a slightly longer layover making me a bit more comfortable. My seats stayed the same at first when I checked the other day, 13 F & E for both legs.

I checked today after seeing the announcement that things are adjusting across the fleet. Flight time is the same, but my seats are now 31E & F on one leg and 34 E& F on the other. Flight numbers have remained the same..
In my AA account is still says 737-800 for FLL >DFW and A321 for DFW > YVR; but when I go to change my seats back to what I had... the entire seatmap is grayed out. If I go to book as new it's the same planes and my old seats are available. So I am wondering if its a plane change and their system hasn't updated? Or AA just hates me as usual, lol.
I have been hoping to switch the first/business for these flights, but the DFW > YVR leg only has one seat left up there. Crossing my fingers someone cancels and prices aren't crazy.

With call wait times over 2 hours, even at 11:40pm tonight, I have to wait this out as I have better things to do like sleep.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
A number of LHR flights have changed aircraft type again, as far out as July. 773's becoming 772s for example.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I currently have a RT ORD-HKG (via Lax outbound and DFW inbound) on 5/20-5/31 booked in PE with confirmed SWUs on each. Any idea if they will just place me on a Cathay flight in business as an EXP due to this now? I haven’t heard a word from them and trip still shows ticketed and confirmed.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Any idea which domestic routes will be on the receiving end of the repositioned widebodies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.