Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (10 Mar 2020 - obsolete)

Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Network updates link

Updated April 2, 2020.

American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

Carrier further reduces international capacity for summer and winter

FORT WORTH, Texas American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will make further capacity cuts this summer to address record low customer demand. The airline will:
  • Suspend more than 60% of international capacity for the peak summer travel season versus the same period last year.
  • Delay the launch of new routes, including service from Philadelphia (PHL) to Casablanca (CMN), Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK) and Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore (BLR) to 2021.
  • Delay the launch of new winter seasonal service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Christchurch (CHC) and from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Auckland (AKL) to winter 2021.
  • Suspend 25 total summer seasonal flights until summer 2021.

Summer and winter capacity will be reduced

American will suspend more than 60% of its total international capacity this summer compared to the same peak period in 2019, which includes an 80% reduction in Pacific capacity, 65% reduction in Atlantic capacity and 48% reduction in Latin America capacity. These changes are due to significantly decreased customer demand as well as government travel restrictions both related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The reduced summer schedule, as well as the previously announced domestic schedule reductions for May, will be reflected on aa.com starting Sunday, April 5.

The airline previously announced that new service to AKL from DFW, CHC from LAX and BLR from SEA would all begin in October 2020, but American will now begin operating those routes in winter 2021. The resumption of existing service to AKL from LAX which was originally slated to resume in early October 2020 will now resume at the end of October 2020.

American will further extend the start date of new routes. Service to London (LHR) from Boston (BOS) will now launch in October 2020 and service to Tel Aviv (TLV) from DFW will begin in September 2021. Service to CMN from PHL and KRK from ORD will not launch this year, as well as 23 existing summer seasonal routes.

A full list of changes to the international summer schedule is below. There are no further changes at this time.
New schedule changes can be seen here
Will American make additional schedule changes?
American continues to review the airlines flight schedule to ensure that customers needs are accommodated and will make additional refinements as necessary.

How will customers know if they are impacted?
American's Reservations team will contact affected customers directly by email or telephone. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly.

My flight was canceled, and I dont want to rebook. Can I get a refund?
Yes. If a flight is canceled and a customer chooses to not be rebooked, they may request a full refund by visiting aa.com/refunds.

Also see here for news in aa.com

See here for AA Coronavirus changes (this) or downloadable PDF

See here for AA Travel Alerts

Print Wikipost

AA 2020 schedule changes due to coronavirus (10 Mar 2020 - obsolete)

Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Got the "change to your trip" email overnight for a July domestic trip. Thank goodness (so far) just minor time and aircraft type changes on two segments.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by VitaliU
I was on the phone with the ExP line this morning and they did tell me a schedule update will load on Saturday night. Obviously, I dont know if all of the above changes will be loaded or not.
As far as I can see, some flights are already cancelled but many are still online. That means that you can't cancel yet and get a full refund. Might be possible if you call, but no luck so far ...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by lostfly
As far as I can see, some flights are already cancelled but many are still online. That means that you can't cancel yet and get a full refund. Might be possible if you call, but no luck so far ...
What are the rebooking options if the flights are cancelled by AA ahead of time? Ive found it hard to know if the fare difference is charged to the customer if a new date is selected for an AA-initiated cancellation, assuming the itinerary is identical but shifted a few months to a passengers desired dates.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
Originally Posted by lostfly
many are zeroed out (you cant book anything) but not cancelled. Im assuming this is to help them deal with cancelations for this month and next one, then they will cancel the zeroed out flights for future months
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
What are the rebooking options if the flights are cancelled by AA ahead of time? Ive found it hard to know if the fare difference is charged to the customer if a new date is selected for an AA-initiated cancellation, assuming the itinerary is identical but shifted a few months to a passengers desired dates.
You can get a refund and rebook later. You can also rebook for a different date with no change fee, but you would be charged any fare difference, meaning the net result is effectively the same. Given that the disruption looks like it will occur for at least a couple of months, I would personally take a refund in most situations and then start from scratch.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by VitaliU
many are zeroed out (you cant book anything) but not cancelled. Im assuming this is to help them deal with cancelations for this month and next one, then they will cancel the zeroed out flights for future months
Yes, many are zeroed out, but many still advertise availability. Of course, this is so massive that everything is understandable in this situation.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by jridge
You can get a refund and rebook later. You can also rebook for a different date with no change fee, but you would be charged any fare difference, meaning the net result is effectively the same. Given that the disruption looks like it will occur for at least a couple of months, I would personally take a refund in most situations and then start from scratch.
Aha! Thank you - I didn’t realise that if AA cancel the booking themselves that I would be charged any fare difference if I moved the booking later in the year, with exactly the same route. That is good to know. (Please let me know if I misunderstood your response though).

P.S. For specificity, these are two bookings on 001-* tickets from ex-UK to the USA, all AA marketed but a mixture of BA- and AA-operated in May that I was hoping to move to August if they get cancelled by AA
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
BTW, the Peruvian government just announced that LIM (and the whole of Peru) is closed. No inbound or outbound flights starting midnight today (this is not a passenger restriction, is a full lock-down of the country). So, no flights to/from there with AA.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:43 am

Just in case this affects anyone, I figured I'd post it here: AA appears to have silently (I cannot find any mention of it in their releases--they mention the rest of South America, just omit MVD from their near-term suspensions) suspended flights from MVD-MIA. At first this was supposedly a temporary thing, but the writing was on the wall. I have no citations, but just search for flights and you'll see it. Glad we escaped with Copa through PTY while that was still an option.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jnagar
Just in case this affects anyone, I figured I'd post it here: AA appears to have silently (I cannot find any mention of it in their releases--they mention the rest of South America, just omit MVD from their near-term suspensions) suspended flights from MVD-MIA. At first this was supposedly a temporary thing, but the writing was on the wall. I have no citations, but just search for flights and you'll see it. Glad we escaped with Copa through PTY while that was still an option.
Quite possibly a number of suspensions that didn't get a press release. The suspension was published in last weekend OAG schedule update --
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1443279
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by euromannn
AA has canceled over 7 international flights in past 2 years that I have booked for award travel.
Twice in past 3 weeks 2 international flights canceled.
Think I need a NEW airline FF program!
I agree, but ..
When you find the new airline FF, please let us know.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I agree, but ..
When you find the new airline FF, please let us know.
Also I'd be curious when he finds an airline that hasn't canceled most of its international flights in the last three weeks.
deeruck and allset2travel like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by jnagar
They seem to be doing the same thing on their MIA-ANU-MIA flights. There are currently two flights per day, but they have been, and will be, canceling one of the flights due to light loads. I'd prefer that they simply reduce the schedule to a single flight, but I guess they are looking at this day-to-day.

ETA: apparently they have now canceled ANU service until May 7th. We have a reservation ANU-MIA-DEN on April 29th, but we have not received a cancellation notice. I realize that things are very chaotic now, but I would think AA could create a page that has running flight cancellations on it.

Last edited by SJCFlyerLG; Mar 25, 2020 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:37 pm

AA seems to be cancelling a lot of flights from MIA in the last few hours. At least for where/when I was looking: Friday 27 Mar MIA -> DC, IAH, DFW .
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Carberry
AA seems to be cancelling a lot of flights from MIA in the last few hours. At least for where/when I was looking: Friday 27 Mar MIA -> DC, IAH, DFW .
they are making LOTS of additional cancellations, every day, for 1-2 days out, so this is normal for the circumstances, and not limited to MIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.