Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a "fake" Flagship First ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I dont really agree - it does specify the caveats for access to these benefits in its marketing - it is also not charging the fare that goes with bookings with full flagship service
How is a consumer supposed to know that business isn't offered on that flight? It says it's "Not Available", but that's the same as what aa.com will show if the cabin is sold out. Especially close in, I pretty frequently see three cabin flights with business sold out even though first is available, and I don't think anyone takes that as a sign that the first class cabin somehow gets downgraded.

It seems like the "Flagship" First designation is probably a bug, or AA should just be marketing the service as Business class, but I agree that the current display is pretty misleading.
SK, JonNYC, HKG_Flyer1 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jordyn
It seems like the "Flagship" First designation is probably a bug, or AA should just be marketing the service as Business class, but I agree that the current display is pretty misleading.
It's a coding error; an I fare should never translate to Flagship First. Until it's fixed, there's a very good argument the passenger should be granted FF Dining access.

Let the speculative bookings begin!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if you are savvy enough to know first class on 3-cabin transcon has flagship first dining, i am sure you are also savvy enough to know the fare basis is not A or F class.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbd456
if you are savvy enough to know first class on 3-cabin transcon has flagship first dining, i am sure you are also savvy enough to know the fare basis is not A or F class.
You've got to be kidding me. Now published benefits knowledge about first class now requires fare code knowledge. Do they need to know how to fly the plane too?

​​​​​​ FT is divorced from reality.
steve64, Spiff, SK and 26 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As far as I’m aware the 772 is basically a 2 class aircraft at this point (no F). F was ripped out in favor of more Y when the aircraft were all reconfigured. I would only expect J service on these flights.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, DL Platinum
I don't mind having an argument with the lounge reception agents but I'm not sure there is much evidence I can present to convince them. I checked another "real" Flagship First ticket I had booked before (which btw, is only around 100 dollars more expensive than this one, so don't tell me I'm not paying enough for Flagship First), and found no difference on how they address the class of service other than the Booking Code. Otherwise I can only show them the screenshots attached in this post...
writerguyfl and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by pbd456
Believe or not, I only noticed the fare class after I received the receipt. But again, I don't believe being able to match fare class with correct corresponding product is a fair requirement for passengers.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
You could always call AA and ask? If it is within 24 hours of when you booked, you can get a full refund (so long as your travel is far enough out).

[mod note] Arguing here isn't very productive to anyone, and won't get any real answers. Well calling AA may not get a real answer either, but it might be more official. [/mod note]
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
As far as I’m aware the 772 is basically a 2 class aircraft at this point (no F). F was ripped out in favor of more Y when the aircraft were all reconfigured. I would only expect J service on these flights.
That's because we are on FT. The average person who books Flagship First expects Flagship First and all the benefits advertised as Flagship First. This is the same thing as booking domestic J and being put in MCE and being expected to know that due to the row number.

If my mother booked this, she wouldn't have the foggiest idea what fare codes, reconfigured 772s etc. are. Just that she paid for x and did not receive it.
Spiff, lowfareair, JonNYC and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Feb 20, 2020 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:31 pm
Suspended

It's obviously and patently misleading, claiming otherwise is ridiculous. Will call it out on Twitter and see if an answer comes back.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
That's because we are on FT. The average person who books Flagship First expects Flagship First and all the benefits advertised as Flagship First.

This is the same thing as booking domestic J and being put in MCE and being expected to know that due to the row number.
Perhaps I suppose I’m biased. I would never defend AA, but my understanding is that the only aircraft left in the fleet with a true F product are the 77W and A321T. Outside of that, the remaining equipment is all basic J/Y.

Wirh that said, AA should absolutely not be marketing the J cabin on 777s as F. That’s just ridiculous.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, keep that screenshot as I am certain that AA will correct the display in fairly short order.

The box should not be branded as "Flagship" if it is not "Flagship" OP ought to immediately call AA and ask about FL and FFD access. If the answer is "yes" ask to have the PNR annotated. If it is no, ask to be moved to the 6:30 PM flight. It's only 30 minutes later and is clearly 3-class. It's also roughly double the price, so cancelling & rebooking isn't what OP is looking for.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MKLDH
Believe or not, I only noticed the fare class after I received the receipt. But again, I don't believe being able to match fare class with correct corresponding product is a fair requirement for passengers.
Its undoubtedly an error, and you unfortunately got burned. But maybe not? Take screenshots (you may have sufficient here) to show if you’re denied. IMO, for what that’s worth, you should not be made to pay for their mistake.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
What is interesting is that when you pull this flight up on Google Flights, it says it is "Flagship Business".
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimike
What is interesting is that when you pull this flight up on Google Flights, it says it is "Flagship Business".
Which is actually accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.