Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a "fake" Flagship First ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Why not let DOT have the final word when you complain?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Unfortunately this is one of those "deeper" issues where I wouldn't put any stock into what one random Twitter rep or phone agent says if asked, it's obviously very new and they will most likely have no clue either. "It says Flagship First on the website? Then sure, you get everything that comes with Flaghsip First!" without actually understanding the issue.
Agreed. And the Twitter rep didn't even annotate the record as asked, instead skirting that question.

I'm with the others who agree that AA should honor the "Flagship F" ticket as a true Flagship ticket with all declared benefits. Yes, some astute FT'ers may know full well it's not true F, but the majority of travelers won't. AA asked for it by marketing it as Flagship F, not J. My two cents.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wetrat0
If one were to try to deduce some logic on AA's part here, there is actually a good reason to sell this as flagship F and not J. Namely, the 772 J seat, which is what's being sold here, is very similar to the A321T F seat. In fact, on some 772 configs, I believe it's exactly the same seat though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Good point about the product. If it's the 772 Super Diamond, then IMO it's even superior to the 321T F seat (albeit in a larger cabin, so less "exclusive"). Probably a wash with the Zodiac. The 321T F seat is I believe the Cirrus seat used in J on the 77W, but angled more sharply, so actually feels a tad more cramped and is more difficult to get into and out of, especially if reclined even a little.

Now obviously a reason to NOT sell this entire cabin (at least 37 seats I think) as Flagship First is that there probably isn't enough capacity to handle all those customers via Flagship Checkin and Flagship First Dining.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Why not let DOT have the final word when you complain?
What's the resolution? A bottle of Krug sent to your doorstep?
jcatman likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
FWIW, I would not bet on this being treated as Flagship First at the airport unless you get a lucky agent. I flew the 77W that was rotated on LAX-JFK over Thanksgiving but sold as 2-cabin (and marketed as "First"). Sat in 1J on the 77W, reservation and boarding pass said "First Class" but booking class that printed on BP was I.

I was absolutely NOT let into FFD and the agents at the AC and Flagship were all aware of the aircraft swap and not very sympathetic to the confusion.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Is it misleading and clearly an IT fail on AA's part: absolutely without question. Further "Flagship First" is very different from "First" on AA, so much so that even a competitor using the word Flagship resulted in a lawsuit (https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law...ship-trademark) from AA. So in principle I'd agree that AA should offer those who purchased what AA advertised on their own website as Flagship First all that normally comes with such a ticket but I very much doubt that will happen. For starters I somewhat doubt that AA's crack IT systems could differentiate between those that bought their ticket before they fixed this (if they did/do fix it?) and notify the FS agent on checkin to allow FFD only for those that were affected. Second, I'd imagine that trying to argue with the FS/AC checkin desk is going to go nowhere fast, even with twitter DM screenshots or booking screenshots. So while it would be the right thing for AA to allow you FFD and FS checkin etc, I'd be shocked if it happens. If you really want that I'd change to one of the flights that does have 3 cabin F still, often the delta between J and F isn't that much IME.
coolcoil likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by cmd320
As far as I’m aware the 772 is basically a 2 class aircraft at this point (no F). F was ripped out in favor of more Y when the aircraft were all reconfigured. I would only expect J service on these flights.
I know enough about AA that the last 777-200 I traveled on had 3 separate cabins. Business class seats (1-2-1), Premium Economy seats (2-4-2) and Economy (3-4-3). This was in January.
I certainly do not know for sure whether there remain sub-fleets of 772s with AA such that those subbing in on the Transcons are different; however, if I see 772 I think 3-class.
The 772s will have 37 or so individual flat-bed seats all with direct aisle access. So more (and better) than the 10+20 flat-bed on the A321t.
Presumably the extra capacity translates to making it harder to sell the highest yield tickets.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish
I know enough about AA that the last 777-200 I traveled on had 3 separate cabins. Business class seats (1-2-1), Premium Economy seats (2-4-2) and Economy (3-4-3). This was in January.
I certainly do not know for sure whether there remain sub-fleets of 772s with AA such that those subbing in on the Transcons are different; however, if I see 772 I think 3-class.
The 772s will have 37 or so individual flat-bed seats all with direct aisle access. So more (and better) than the 10+20 flat-bed on the A321t.
Presumably the extra capacity translates to making it harder to sell the highest yield tickets.
Yeah, I guess I forget about PY because I don’t really consider it a premium cabin. The point is the aircraft doesn’t have F anymore. While some of the 772 seats are a bit better than the 321T F, 37 is too many for a real F product even if the seat itself is comparable.
littlefish likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Now that D & I class are sold out, they're selling it as R, which is more expensive than the A (proper First) class being offered on the other flights that day. So now someone will pay more, be booked into a Business Class code, and probably not get F ground service. All this despite the fact that a reputable member here has reported this to AA. What an absolute cluster.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by daron4000
I was absolutely NOT let into FFD and the agents at the AC and Flagship were all aware of the aircraft swap and not very sympathetic to the confusion.
OP should absolutely figure it out before they fly, or purchase a ticket with benefits that are not unclear, for the reason above. If you come in with vague or potentially incorrect expectations, I've found that the agents at the JFK Flagship Lounge are some of the most competent and knowledgable in the system, and they are on top of changes, swaps, and who has access and who does not, and make very few—if any—exceptions for any reasons.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I think it's going to come down to what's printer on the BP: Business or First.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I think it's going to come down to what's printer on the BP: Business or First.
it will say First but show a biz class booking code (eg, JDRI)
JonNYC and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by littlefish
The 777-200 has a premium economy seating area, but on the JFK-LAX route the only classes of travel offered are business and economy, so only 2 classes. Those with an economy ticket can select premium economy seating
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:15 pm

No mention of Flagship while booking with miles but not complaining as I book 7 seats for 23k each.
On AA.com under my trips it is showing up as First but in email confirmation it show Business (J).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sruly
No mention of Flagship while booking with miles but not complaining as I book 7 seats for 23k each.
On AA.com under my trips it is showing up as First but in email confirmation it show Business (J).
Flights were just switched back to the 321 and placed in Business Class and not First.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.