Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA Thank you notes: pax trashed several. Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Thank you notes: pax trashed several. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I enjoy little notes from the crew, have received them in F on BA most recently and really liked it. However, after I read it, I snapped a pic, but then I left it in aircraft, not sure what your supposed to do with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we appreciate it and you should continue to do it even if passengers discard them.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weero
I'd appreciate it.

But I'd still throw it away afterward...

I do not see this as a contradiction...
​​
Exactly. It's a lovely gesture that is greatly appreciated. However the appreciated part is the thought and the effort, not the physical piece of paper.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
We received one on a segment last fall. Made our day! So mush so we took them home with us!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Maybe I'm a rube but what exactly are you supposed to do with notes and cards? Is there a rule to how long you're supposed to keep one? It is the same conundrum as cards received during a holiday. You can appreciate the message but what do you do with it? Is there an amount of time you need to wait before trashing it? Are they supposed to be stored forever?
​​​​​​Beats me, but leaving them on the cabin floor seems like the wrong option. In fact, leaving *anything* on the floor at the end of a flight is tacky at best.
​​​
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
It would go home with me and onto my refrigerator door until it eventually got moved off by something newer, which is how it works for things on my fridge. When its time came, maybe I'd try giving it one of those Marie Kondo-inspired thank yous for doing its job well. And I guess I'd enjoy the memory again.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
Does this gesture mean anything to you guys, or should I discontinue thanking my customers? Feeling a little sad about it. I don't expect them to carry them home, but to just trash our gesture, well, that kinda hurts.
I'm at 680 lifetime flights, only received a note like that twice. Personally, I would appreciate it and would keep it as a memento.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
My wife and I have received these handwritten notes on JetBlue Mint flights domestically, and on Asiana, Singapore, Lufthansa, Etihad and Qatar F flights internationally.

We save each and every one of them. To us, it feels special for any FA to do this given the hard job they have and the kinds of ID**TS they have to deal with on a daily basis. Not only does it tell us they were happy to have us and that we weren't a PITA to serve, but also that they weren't compelled to do this due to some airline policy.

To the OP - please don't change who you are. Its things like these that also make flying special.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by thelark
you a big fan of participation trophies too?
hahaha! that's a poor analogy! To answer your question - Not at all !! that's the most stupidest thing I ever seen! In this case, everyone in the plane contributes to the crew salaries at different levels. Thanking a pax in F may exclude someone who paid a lot more for a ticket in the back of the bus. You don't know that; the FA doesn't know that either.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:19 pm

I have received these in the past on AA domestic flights. While I do not frame it, but I do at least put it in the bag and thank the FA upon departure of the plane. I would never toss it on the floor as it does show some disrespect (no less being a litter bug). In each case when I receive these notes, I do noticed that FA does exceptional job at making sure that folks get good service (ie: refilling drinks, asking if additional snacks is needed as well as providing connection information while thanking for being a patron of the airline).

l8r

-doc
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:00 pm

I always appreciate a note. I always take a photo and both IM mine to people at times and get IMs of them from others. Believe me us regular travelers who have been on the road night after night appreciate the notes and share them among ourselves
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA
Those D-bags were probably expecting your number.

Keep being a good person, it's never wrong.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:31 pm

I would have appreciated it and probably brought it home with me to take a picture and add to my digital scrap book.
Please don't stop doing these nice gestures. There are plenty of us who will enjoy it
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by SEA737
This. And even if people don't take it off the plane, I don't think you should take it as a sign that they don't appreciate it. That's not to say it would be nice if people at least didn't leave them there for the person who wrote them to pick up, but I wouldn't put it down to lack of appreciation.
I recently got a very nice box of new year snacks from the crew, as I was flying on the first day of the lunar new year (yes, this was obviously not on AA).
I was super happy to receive them but in the deboarding scrum, as i was packing my various items, I managed to set them aside and overlook them. I hope the crew didn't think me ungrateful. I can certainly see the same thing happening, intentionally or not, with a "non-critical" item like a thank you note.
Finding it crumpled up and thrown on the floor would be an entirely different matter and I'd think far less of the clod who did that.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
I've only ever received a note once in MCE at the start of service. The FA probably handwrote one for all of the EXP in MC. It definitely put a smile on my face, made the interactions friendler, and gave me a positive impression of the FA. It reminds me of when the purser on CX, and sometimes BA, flights comes around and introduces themselves to oneworld emeralds. It's a nice gesture and makes the service more personable.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skylady
I recently worked a trip where the purser and I both wrote personalized thank you notes to our FC customers. It felt good to do it, since we had a really nice flight, no delays, no issues, and we had fun. I was very disappointed after , to see how many of them ended up on the floor after the flight. Does this gesture mean anything to you guys, or should I discontinue thanking my customers? Feeling a little sad about it. I don't expect them to carry them home, but to just trash our gesture, well, that kinda hurts.
I recently received one from TPA to ORD. I still have it in my work bag. Very very nice touch. Some people don’t have any class or decorum. I wouldn’t let it bother you. One idea that will almost guarantee that they walk out with it and it won’t be on the floor...write their connection gate on there along with that thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.