Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by Adrenalist
AA sells tickets to BKK. They fly to HKG, then CX flies their clientele the rest of the way.

In case you weren’t aware, HKG has everything to do with coronavirus. Likewise, so do many other countries in Asia.

The lady I spoke with at AAdvantage/AA customer support said that my “refund was in progress”.

One day? One week? One month? What are you asking?

Sure, cancellations are time consuming. I never said anything negative about that.

I called AA customer service.

I booked the flight through AA.com

I paid via credit card.
You can log into AA.com and go to My Trips. Any leg that is still there has not been cancelled. Make sure that leg qualifies for a refund. Copy down the ticket number and cancel it. Then go the refund box on the travel alert page to request a refund for that ticket. You can then come back to the same page to check the status of your refund. Depends on how many refund requests they have outstanding, it can take a few days.

I don't think you will get refunds on the upgrade, but you can always ask.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:14 am

Anyone know if AA is giving refunds for flights in the summer? I have a flight (CAN-HKG-LAX) in June that I'm wanting to cancel, but not sure that they'll refund the trip yet. CAN-HKG on CX, HKG-LAX on AA. Any data points? Thx

Last edited by idyllwildjoe; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:21 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
I logged into my account (for something else) & next to my PVG-LAX flight? It shows CANCELED???? I have received no email or notification. NO IDEA when this happened
On 2/11 I found out my tickets were canceled although I hadn't received an email. I still haven't received an email. Last week I applied + received the refund. TODAY I got a voice message from AA that my flight was canceled and to call regarding rescheduling or refunding
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
what about MXP or VCE?

Will AA issue a Travel Advisory (refunds/rebook) for flights to/from Milan or Venice?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Will AA issue a Travel Advisory (refunds/rebook) for flights to/from Milan or Venice?
I have a trip to Milan (for a now cancelled event) in March and will try calling today to cancel my ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
I have a trip to Milan (for a now cancelled event) in March and will try calling today to cancel my ticket.

No advisory yet but I would hope one is coming soon.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...covid-n1141466
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
On 2/11 I found out my tickets were canceled although I hadn't received an email. I still haven't received an email. Last week I applied + received the refund. TODAY I got a voice message from AA that my flight was canceled and to call regarding rescheduling or refunding
The airlines aren't very good with notifications of cancellations and changes. Irregular operations and the airlines are better. The best option is to check the itinerary on the airline website periodically. Ideally check the website of both the booking airline and the operational airline. If you booked award flights on AA but the flights are CX and BA the best option is to check all three sites.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:14 pm

Delta and United have issued travel waivers for Seoul through 04/30/20, I imagine AA won't be far behind.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
will AA stop ICN due to collapse in demand like HKG?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:49 pm

Here is the ICN travel alert:

Novel Coronavirus - South Korea

Information current as of February 24, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

• Seoul Incheon, South Korea (ICN)

Your change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by February 24, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel February 24 - April 24, 2020
  • Can travel February 24 - June 30, 2020
  • Change your origin or destination city to Tokyo Haneda, Japan (HND) or Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT)
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference

Change your trip

If your trip is eligible, you can make a one-time change online. Here's how:
  • Find your trip
  • If your trip is eligible, you'll see the option to 'change trip' in the toolbar
Find your trip

Delay your trip

We’ll continue to waive change or cancellation fees to trips that include the listed cities for travel if you:
  • Bought your ticket by February 24, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel February 24 - April 24, 2020
  • Can travel February 24, 2020 and up to 331 days after your original ticket date
  • Wish to change your origin and destination cities
Changes must be:
  • Booked by April 24, 2020
  • Completed within 1 year of original ticket date; difference in fare may apply
These changes can’t be made online – you must contact Reservations.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:23 pm

Interesting that they're still letting you change to Tokyo. Does that mean travel alerts/notices for Tokyo are less likely, or impossible to speculate?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Have a trip booked DFW-HND-SGN, SIN-HND-LAX-DFW (all on JAL except the LAX-DFW leg) in May, has anyone had success in getting AA to refund trips on JL metal (booked on AA.com) to Sing/Vietnam, or just trips flying through Japan? Called yesterday and told no dice. Wondering if this is a HUCA situation or not.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Due to fly to Miami from Milan on Friday, phoned to see if they would allow a switch to fly from another city, as iI'm worried about being put into quarantine if I go through Milan, but no free changes at the minute - would have cost £5700 to change, so I'll wait and watch what happens.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:28 am

Anyone had luck getting AA to cancel non-refundable tickets to Tokyo (NRT) for travel in March?
whkento likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Due to fly to Miami from Milan on Friday, phoned to see if they would allow a switch to fly from another city, as iI'm worried about being put into quarantine if I go through Milan, but no free changes at the minute - would have cost £5700 to change, so I'll wait and watch what happens.
The current hot spots are in rural areas of Lombardy and Veneto, and are under quarantine. Though at least one case has been identified in Milan, at this time there seems to be no issue regarding quarantine in Milan. Nonetheless, several businesses have cancelled events and meetings in Milan. AA has no travel advisories covering Italy at this time.

Given cancellations of meetings and events, I wonder if using the “trip in vain” rationale might evince greater sympathy from AA agents?
cosmo74 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.