Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by hotturnip
People, did you not read his account? The OP did NOT HAVE TIME to "turn down" the coach seat. He was just trying to get a sense of all of his options in a very stressful situation, and instead of trying to accommodate him, AA just closed the door. They didn't even say, "You have 10 seconds to decide--it's coach or nothing." He didn't know the agent was about to close the flight. Not to mention the eye-rolling, sighing, continually passing him off to others to deal with . . . . This situation was NOT his fault. AA had a late flight crew--that caused all of this.

I think this is egregious behavior, and he's right to be upset.
I empathize with the OP's plight in that the underlying cause was an AA issue but the GAs are under pressure to close the flight so they don't have time to dither. Sometimes split-second decisions are required with very little information and the outcomes aren't always what we would have desired had all the avenues been clear upfront.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:32 pm

This response may not be perceived as helpful, but the correct answer here is to stop flying AA. They are terrible at this kind of thing.

I spent a long 9 months dealing with similar nonsense this past year. Something vaguely similar to this happened every 3-4 flights or so. The last three months with DL have been night and day.

Seriously, just stop. Find a company that actually knows how to operate an airline.
estnet and ijgordon like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by enpremiere
.....GAs are under pressure to close the flight ...
Yes, and this is an AA problem, and one that is rectifiable. Closing the doors at T-10 doesn't have to be the goal. This is another case of poor customer service brought to you by stupid corporate AA paper pushers. I've been a victim of this madness as well.

The OP is owed much more than an apology. A connecting passenger shouldn't have a paid J seat swiped from under them during a tight connection due to AA errors. It undermines the SOP that AA has us follow to "run and try to make your connection".

I wouldn't accept a Y seat in this case either -- a 'fare difference' refund is a slap in the face considering the Y fare AA still takes is not something you chose (or would choose) to purchase.
thelark and Biggie Fries like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Yes, and this is an AA problem, and one that is rectifiable. Closing the doors at T-10 doesn't have to be the goal. This is another case of poor customer service brought to you by stupid corporate AA paper pushers. I've been a victim of this madness as well.

The OP is owed much more than an apology. A connecting passenger shouldn't have a paid J seat swiped from under them during a tight connection due to AA errors. It undermines the SOP that AA has us follow to "run and try to make your connection".

I wouldn't accept a Y seat in this case either -- a 'fare difference' refund is a slap in the face considering the Y fare AA still takes is not something you chose (or would choose) to purchase.
On the contrary, it is the very nature of commercial air travel that "the best for the most" has to rule the day. This is not about fault, but rather about reality. Thus, why OP was late to the departure gate (the deadline is T-30, not T-10) is irrelevant. Rather, that is the time AA judges it needs to properly close and dispatch a long-haul flight. It is also not an unreasonable time as most carriers have such a deadline and for exactly the same reason.

Presumably OP did not lose the J seat in a vacuum. Rather there were passengers waiting for an upgrade. If they aren't processed at T-30, is it T-25 or when?

At ORD, a late push can easily mean a 30-minute delay while one is slotted back into the pattern by Ground Control. That may mean an arrival delay and then a delay for the people at NRT.

More importantly, when the flight is about to close, there is no way that a GA is going to spend time research possibilities with one passenger. As OP found, it was that second or never and OP selected the "never" (perhaps entirely correctly).
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by mctaste
Missing the birth is immaterial to the situation. Either you were cutting it really close to begin with, or it happened unexpectedly and nobody could plan for that.

It sucks that they give paid seats away like that. Should just fly it empty, rather than upgrade someone.
If they had upgraded someone to his seat they should have un-upgraded that person. Delta did that for me once when I was late because of mechanical problems on the inbound flight.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Yes, and this is an AA problem, and one that is rectifiable. Closing the doors at T-10 doesn't have to be the goal.
To be fair here, another criticism of AA is their on-time performance and that they (along with UA) have lagged behind DL in this metric. So I can appreciate there's pressure to close the door and ship out when time's up. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Holding flights / being flexible on door close, and being on time, are two contradictory objectives.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
How mad was your wife !
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I would love to know who got his J seat - it seems the most likely winners were an SWU or nonrev, but to me either should have gone back to their Y seat when OP arrived at the gate.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AA's rules say that you can lose your seat (assignment) at T-30 and be denied boarding at T-10. We had this discussion on FT before. The question is whether a passenger arriving at the gate between T-30 and T-10 (or whenever final standbys are seated and the door closes) is entitled to a seat in the cabin purchased or just some seat on the plane.
iadisgreat and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AA's rules say that you can lose your seat (assignment) at T-30 and be denied boarding at T-10. We had this discussion on FT before. The question is whether a passenger arriving at the gate between T-30 and T-10 (or whenever final standbys are seated and the door closes) is entitled to a seat in the cabin purchased or just some seat on the plane.
For stations with MCTs of 25 minutes, if a flight landed with a 27 minute connection, an unfortunate passenger could be (by the letter of that policy) fried before even stepping off the jet bridge.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, you missed out on the opportunity for lifetime blackmail material against your kid! Every time they complained about something you could have reminded them about "The sacrifice daddy made flying in economy for their birth. Barefooted in winter!"
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Minimum connection time at ORD is 40 minutes, so if the flight was delayed by 45 minutes, I can see how the airline would not think a passenger was going to make this flight. That doesn't mean this situation doesn't suck, but it is what it is...this is why I hate tight connections!

I am wondering, though, why the OP thinks the airline should compensate him because of a medical emergency that led to the early birth of his child...what control or responsibility does the airline have on that? To my knowledge, AA has no control over someone's medical conditions, unless their actions cause it.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:51 am
J S

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I would of taken the Y seat to see my kid born but you didn't and if it went down the way you say I'd demand compensation as well. Maybe the fare difference plus a couple hundred more
This is really unfair. The poster already said he had no idea his child would be born at that time. Condemning him/her for choosing business class over the birth of his/her child is not accurate. He/she did not make that choice.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Often1
On the contrary, it is the very nature of commercial air travel that "the best for the most" has to rule the day. This is not about fault, but rather about reality. Thus, why OP was late to the departure gate (the deadline is T-30, not T-10) is irrelevant. Rather, that is the time AA judges it needs to properly close and dispatch a long-haul flight. It is also not an unreasonable time as most carriers have such a deadline and for exactly the same reason. .
United connectionsaver holds flights for an average of 6 minutes , they operate it at ORD, and they claim to have saved about 3-4,000 connections per month. Even without having the software, giving GAs a flexible 2-3 minutes to wait on door closure when they need to accommodate a few passengers running at the gate is very doable without hurting anyone, while helping many.

Presumably OP did not lose the J seat in a vacuum. Rather there were passengers waiting for an upgrade. If they aren't processed at T-30, is it T-25 or when?.
For a customer on a paid J seat that is possibly making a connection, I would argue the 'upgrade' should wait until the doors are (practically) closed. For empty seats, by all means upgrades should be processed before boarding starts, but every effort should be made to protect a paid seat for a customer that has any chance of making a tight connection.

At ORD, a late push can easily mean a 30-minute delay while one is slotted back into the pattern by Ground Control. That may mean an arrival delay and then a delay for the people at NRT.
Yet, united seems perfectly happy holding flights for 6 minutes at ORD. From March 1, 2019-Jan 1, 2020, ORD-departing flights, United has 22.55% of their flights late, while AA has 24.89% of their flights late. I would argue that the statistics show that T-10 door closure vs a more flexible approach when needed is not in any way "the best for the most".

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/OriginAirport.aspx
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:56 am
J S

Originally Posted by kmandrew
I’m confused by some of the answers, let’s leave the child thing out. Over the years I thought the prevailing advice in this type of situation was refuse to go to Y, when the GA gets nasty inform her you want your luggage back. She will be in a bit of a pickle and become more accommodating; hopefully find a satisfactory solution.
Good advice, but in this case, I am guess that (even if he/she had checked luggage), the luggage would not have made the connection and so would not have been loaded given that he/she was running to make the connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.