Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I would ask for 50k miles or $500 voucher for this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
There is no DOT policy that says you have to release J passengers' seats.
If AA truly wants to make their paid business class passengers feel valuable wouldn't it make sense? The other passengers do not have a J seat, nor is there any obligation to get them one. But they take away the one seat that they already promised.
There is no DOT policy for many issues. The airlines file their policies with the DOT and are expected to adhere to them. In this case, AA adhered to its policy. Ironically, some of those complaining in this thread are the ones to gripe first when an AAgent does NOT adhere to company policy. Exactly what do you want the DOT to police in this instance?

Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to make everyone happy all of the time. That’s kind of how the world works. If you go peek at the threads regarding upgrades, there are several posts with people complaining about the timing of getting upgrades processed. Heaven-forbid the flight goes out with empty seats up front while people are on the list...waiting because there was no time to get upgrades processed at the last minute. The reality is processes and procedures take time to complete. And airlines (any entity really) need reasonable time to complete them. Exactly how long did posters in this thread want AA to wait before starting to process them?
tom911 likes this.

Last edited by rumboj; Jan 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Be that as it may, even if they have gone to all that effort to process and ticket an upgrade, if the original passenger arrives the upgradee should be downgraded. Let them sort it out after the flight... just as the downgraded passenger would have had to have done.
Is that AA’s policy?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I would be spending time with my newborn/wife to assuage my guilt that i missed their birth because I insisted on business class, rather than spending hours complaining to AA or on Flyertalk.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:07 am

I don't think the birth of a child matters here. You missed a day of travel because a flight attendant overslept in BOS and a gate agent upgraded someone while you were on the way. One of those things is excusable the other is not. I'd be equally as upset as you if I missed a day of vacation, and I'd definitely expect compensation.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I would be spending time with my newborn/wife to assuage my guilt that i missed their birth because I insisted on business class, rather than spending hours complaining to AA or on Flyertalk.
OP had literally 2 posts out of 80 since Jan 7th and you'd assume he is not with his wife and baby? And I don't think he should have any guilt when the whole thing is not his fault. He was frustrated with the whole experience so he has the right to vent at least.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by naecO
OP had literally 2 posts out of 80 since Jan 7th and you'd assume he is not with his wife and baby? And I don't think he should have any guilt when the whole thing is not his fault. He was frustrated with the whole experience so he has the right to vent at least.
And I have the right to find it distasteful and entitled. What a world!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:38 am

Seriously, did you even read the OP's posts? OP asked a question and had a door closed in his face. OP didn't miss the birth because he "insisted on business class" - he missed it because the AA ground crew were a bunch of jerks.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Seriously, did you even read the OP's posts? OP asked a question and had a door closed in his face. OP didn't miss the birth because he "insisted on business class" - he missed it because the AA ground crew were a bunch of jerks.
Seriously, I did. And I don't think its superclear who the jerk was-- but even in the OPs version of events, it seems he would have arrived in time for birth if he had accepted the economy ticket and not asked about other options.

What I find problematic here, as others do, is the framing of "the airline made me miss the birth of my child." If the ground crew were jerks, the compensation owed should not matter if he arrived a day later and missed that or just good old couch time.

(Of course we all know that if they held the seat and it went out empty, some DYKWIA would be posting here railing why their upgrade didn't clear; same if they were downgraded so close to departure time, or if they held the flight and caused a cascading delay.)

Either way, hope mom and baby are doing well!!!

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 9, 2020 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can we drop the baby business already?
IMO it was insult to injury and the OP was just venting.
My sister gave birth a month ago -- she was induced 3 weeks early as her BP (not boarding pass) was running high, this all happened in about 24-36 hours but I imagine it could have been much quicker if the emergency was more serious and they needed to do a c-section.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Cathay Biz seat to Eco for routing JFK to HKG and compensated 3200 USD cash. Yes cash in an envelope. And CX needs you to sign a paper that you voluntarily gave up the seat. Hope this data point helps.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Seriously, I did. And I don't think its superclear who the jerk was-- but even in the OPs version of events, it seems he would have arrived in time for birth if he had accepted the economy ticket and not asked about other options.

What I find problematic here, as others do, is the framing of "the airline made me miss the birth of my child." If the ground crew were jerks, the compensation owed should not matter if he arrived a day later and missed that or just good old couch time.

(Of course we all know that if they held the seat and it went out empty, some DYKWIA would be posting here railing why their upgrade didn't clear; same if they were downgraded so close to departure time, or if they held the flight and caused a cascading delay.)

Either way, hope mom and baby are doing well!!!
It was very reasonable and understandable for the OP to ask about options. AA should not have closed the door to "punish" him for asking instead of just taking the coach boarding pass (probably a middle seat in the last row) that was offered, sitting down, shutting up, and trying in vain to get some reasonable reimbursement later for the downgrade from a paid J fare.

If we accept the comments earlier in this thread that the OP should have arrived 3-4 days early, that wouldn't necessarily have helped and in fact we don't know what the expected birth date was (which, IMO would be TMI). Babies can be born months premature, so to plan for this contingency, OP should have left his job in the USA four or five months early to go to South Korea in order to avoid the possibility of missing the birth?????? It's not realistic. Moreover, note that the OP did not know about the medical emergency at the time he was asking about other options at the gate.
thelark and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
One of the more popular travel blogs picked up this story overnight.
https://viewfromthewing.com/customer...ican-airlines/
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by nk15
I would ask for 50k miles or $500 voucher for this.
I think that might be a bit high for the "inconvenience" of being upgraded then downgraded IF you got back your original seat, but I understand your position. The problem with the downgrade of the last-minute upgraded passenger (which is what I believe sounds appropriate in this particular circumstance) is that if you had the coach seat with "unlimited" legroom (the one I usually fly on long-haul economy) and, when you got downgraded, you got a "regular" seat. Because THAT then becomes a major inconvenience for you. But if you get back what you booked (unlimited or regular) then I think you request is a little too high (but I would appreciate the customer service gesture if that is what AA felt was appropriate).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:14 am

Birth aside, original delay was for late crew. The OP should have been rebooked on another OW or offline carrier for that day. The AC/FL is able to handle this without having to go back to the ticket counter.

I wonder if the OP ran into my favorite ORD GA? Was she, perhaps, in her 50s with mostly grey/ black hair and wearing a massive cross around her neck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.