Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Right, so the kid can have a father without a job? You are incredible. This dude spent 1000's on a ticket.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Then, in reality, expectant fathers should stop traveling out of town for work within 3-4 months of due date. Last I checked, babies in wombs do not have access to daddy's Outlook calendar.

Given what my wife had to go through for 9 months, especially the last few hours (twice), I have no right to complain about being uncomfortable or in pain for 14 hours. OP has to suffer through the pain in a sitting position for takeoff and landing, regardless of class booked. I'm also sure OP is in a sitting/standing position during most of the work day (8-12 hours), but that is a wild assumption, and I apologize if that part is not true.

Back on topic: yes, AA definitely dropped the ball.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
This 100%

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
1. AA failed to get the passengers to final destination under CoCs. T-30 or T-10 doesn’t matter as the gate agents already knew he was going to misconnect.

2. AA closed the door without giving enough information to OP about possible options to work with.

3. AA staff flagged the pax as no-show by denying they were actually in fault - late crew.
-> This is the current state of AA customer service. Shifting the blame and twisting the story(Misconnect interpreted as no-show) are the worst things that happen to the airline.

4. AA did not provide other options to OP with even non-AA or OneWorld airlines getting OP to final destinations as soon as possible. If I were OP I would have explored all other options including non-OW to get to the final destinations.

If I were OP I would go after AA on social media and their customer relations to figure out what compensation will be due. However, look at the bright side, the baby seemed ok even after medical emergency, and you got there safely. Blessing in disguise. Congratulations on the new family member and I wish you best against AA.
Spiff and J S like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:25 am
J S

Originally Posted by Often1
Analogies never work. Yours is no different than however many others there are on FT.
Just because you are unable understand something does not mean it doesn't work.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:39 am
J S

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
No no, the correct analogy would be if you drove only 5mph over the speed limit like all the other drivers in the area did, the child jumped in front of your car at the last second, there was no cross walk and the parent didn't do their legal duty to watch their kid.
the fine print
Please explain. I am all ears.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Right, so the kid can have a father without a job? You are incredible. This dude spent 1000's on a ticket.
Jobs are a dime a dozen. The birth of your child is not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The post you were responding two was not talking about the OP as a last-minute upgrade, but rather the passenger that was upgraded into the OP's seat when the GA thought he would misconnect. I think most last-minute upgraded revenue passengers would understand a downgrade for a late-arriving paid pax (not that they'd be happy), as long as they get their original or a comparable seat back.

Of course we don't know if it was a last-minute upgrade of a revenue passenger or an employee/non-rev. I think processing a revenue passenger downgrade might be more complicated than a non-rev downgrade, but on the other hand the agent is probably inherently averse to downgrading a fellow employee. So the incentive in either case is to screw the OP.
Yes, there was a confusion, I was referring to the OP’s potential compensation and he was referring to another guy who posted the opposite issue.

I am just getting to the bottom of the issue here, the OP needs an apology and his 50k miles comp from AA, and for other posters to stop calling him a bad husband/father, okaaayyy??
wcthomps likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:15 pm
J S

Originally Posted by Dgosche
I'd be equally as upset as you if I missed a day of vacation [instead of the birth of my child].
Really?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by J S
Really?
The point of my post was that AA caused the delay because a flight attendant overslept. They should compensate no matter what you missed. How someone prioritizes their needs shouldn't impact AA decisions to pay and may just complicate the case to them.

Having clarified that, yes, I'd be more upset about missing vacation. But, I'm blissfully childfree and intend to stay that way. I'd be flying the other way if there was a spawn being born into my family.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Sounds like the flight could go back to daily.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Often1
AA routinely holds flights such as this, but "routinely" does not mean "every." Neither you nor I have access to the specific data for this flight, nor are we the Ops people who control all of this.
Can you provide data to support this phrase?

I find it interesting that so many posters had less than 100 posts.

The survival in many countries of a child born at 24 weeks is very good, so we should take the birth of the child out of the conversation. The OPs physical issues do have some merit in my opinion.

I have had a battlefield OP up after seated, and a battlefield OP down, so it appears to me that the GA was slacking off, which has happened to me on AA more times than I can count. The OP is entitled to outrage. The delay from BOS was not WX, so it was MX (late crew) and he/she should have been prioritized. If late crew is not equal to a mechanical, show me the money on that all you FT experts.
wcthomps likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Cathay Biz seat to Eco for routing JFK to HKG and compensated 3200 USD cash. Yes cash in an envelope. And CX needs you to sign a paper that you voluntarily gave up the seat. Hope this data point helps.
They gave you 3200 bucks in cash.... this sounds spectacularly fishy.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boerne
The survival in many countries of a child born at 24 weeks is very good, so we should take the birth of the child out of the conversation.
The OP opened with it. So, it is part and parcel of the discussion.

If it wasnt relevant.. well, it shouldn't be brought up in the first place.
Adam1222 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:43 am

I don't know why AA flyers tolerate the low level of service and compensation compared to Delta. All these posters blaming the OP for getting delayed when it was due to basic responsibilities of working (showing up on time), not accepting Y after paying 1000's of $$ and needing J, and the lazy rebooking agent. Really amazing. Shame on the posters and AA for this one.
So I'm not the OP, but if you look at ticket prices on a general comparison engine (I used itamatrix) the 2 stop option through ORD doesn't even show up.
If you just went to AA's website 2 stops is more expensive than 1 stop.
I presume the OP had found a deal on the flight, and thus it was cheaper? Delta is quite a bit more expensive (uses KE).
The other problem is you never know how much that 1 extra connection will cost you. Sometimes it is cheaper, by quite a bit (especially on those international ones that route you through China). So it is hard to make a decision in advance. The other question is buffer time. As we all know, airlines (for some inexplicable reason) like to give you short connections, and charge you an arm and a leg for a reasonable connection. And theoretically ORD should be well-run, right? It is a hub for AA.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
I don't know why AA flyers tolerate the low level of service and compensation compared to Delta. All these posters blaming the OP for getting delayed when it was due to basic responsibilities of working (showing up on time), not accepting Y after paying 1000's of $$ and needing J, and the lazy rebooking agent. Really amazing. Shame on the posters and AA for this one.
My goodness, this. So much finger-wagging and stanning for this garbage-as-heck airline. Really? Do y’all think AA is monitoring this thread and taking notes on those who bootlick the best? Y’all need to quit. It’s really shameful and beneath you.

The guy was in paid freakin’ J. I could sorta understand if he was some upgrader, but he’s the definition of a customer you’d want to take care of as an airline. I get you want to go out on time, but as a business you need to understand that that isn’t always gonna happen. They knew he was coming. They knew why he was late. Why risk future revenue to meet some artificial goal? How tone-deaf does one have to be to provide such poor service to a high-rev passenger?

I've had American do this to me on several occasions, and each time I’ve stood firm and told the agent I will fly in the class of service I paid for and that it’s up to them to figure out how. When the airline causes the problem, they’re the ones who should fix it, not me.
J S, beachfan, thelark and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
I am with Sbrower. Totally a AA failure.
wcthomps likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.