Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Welcome to the "2020 & 2021 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

For further information on the new “ISolve” app on FA tablets allowing them to issue bonus miles compensation, see here.

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:
  • Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments

• Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

• JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):

DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
• Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956110-archive-questions-2019-about-guide-listing-compensation-master-thd.html]ARCHIVE: 2019 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation [/url]
ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Question Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Have a friend who followed the guide for filing a complaint for miles compensation for a 3 hour delayed flight from 10pm to 1 am due to mech troubles and got a negative response for any form of compensation. Any advice what to do next? Complain on Twitter?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:14 am

Question Compensation for 4 hour Delay

On Jan 01 I was scheduled to fly on AA173 LHR to RDU. We had boarded the plane and as they were pulling out the jet bridge they hit the plane. So we sat in the plane for a while and then we had to deplane. After sometime they said they were waiting on the arrival of another plane and that we would be on that flight. Original departure time was 11:55 am we left at 4:22 pm. They gave us 10 euro meal voucher while we waited. I have read that we are entitled to compensation because of EU rules but I am not sure. Does anyone know based on my situation if I would be entitled to some compensation.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:42 am

When did you actually arrive and when were you scheduled to arrive
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:16 am

Looks like your flight arrived at the gate 3:53 late. Assuming it didn’t take 7 minutes to open the door, the compensation would be 300 EUR.

However, given the reason for the delay being an aircraft struck by the jet bridge operated by airport employees, AA could argue that falls under an extraordinary circumstance exemption.
mom2kids likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Data point. AA 3919 BUF to DFW ended up being about 4.5 hours delayed due to weather, and then was miscatered so no meals were available in F. Flight attendants proactively offered 2k miles for the catering mix-up.

Does that sound right for no meals on what is supposed to be a meal flight? Seems a little low to me.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:28 pm

Compensation elogibility

Hello,

I'm not very well versed in the compensation laws and eligibility when it comes to US flights, so I wanted to reach out for advice on whether I am eligible for anything with AA or should I not bother trying.

Details:
FF membership - British Airways (Gold / Oneworld Emerald)
Flight booked through BA on AA metal.
Incident occured on the return journey.
Date of travel - 10 January 2020
Route - BHM - DFW - LHR - EDI

BHM - DFW @5:32 pm - Flight departure delayed c.3 hours due to bad weather over Dallas. Flight itself had to take a detour and took about twice as long as normal. Total delay about 4 hours.
DFW - LHR @8:30 pm - missed the connection due to delays in BHM-DFW, was rebooked on the next available flight which was the next day @5:15 pm
DFW - LHR @5:15 - flight arrived roughly on time but due to gate delays (another plane blocked the gate for c.30 min) I missed the LHR-EDI connection and got rebooked on another one
LHR - EDI @11:25 am - flight roughly on time. Arrival at final destination 21 hours later than initially planned.

At DFW, I was told I am not eligible for anything and that I need to sort out my own acommodation etc., which I have done.

Is there any point to raising this with AA (and through what channels) and are there any chances for any sort of compensation for this delay?

P.S. apologies for the typo in thread title.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Smorek
Hello,

I'm not very well versed in the compensation laws and eligibility when it comes to US flights, so I wanted to reach out for advice on whether I am eligible for anything with AA or should I not bother trying.

Details:
FF membership - British Airways (Gold / Oneworld Emerald)
Flight booked through BA on AA metal.
Incident occured on the return journey.
Date of travel - 10 January 2020
Route - BHM - DFW - LHR - EDI

BHM - DFW @5:32 pm - Flight departure delayed c.3 hours due to bad weather over Dallas. Flight itself had to take a detour and took about twice as long as normal. Total delay about 4 hours.
DFW - LHR @8:30 pm - missed the connection due to delays in BHM-DFW, was rebooked on the next available flight which was the next day @5:15 pm
DFW - LHR @5:15 - flight arrived roughly on time but due to gate delays (another plane blocked the gate for c.30 min) I missed the LHR-EDI connection and got rebooked on another one
LHR - EDI @11:25 am - flight roughly on time. Arrival at final destination 21 hours later than initially planned.

At DFW, I was told I am not eligible for anything and that I need to sort out my own acommodation etc., which I have done.

Is there any point to raising this with AA (and through what channels) and are there any chances for any sort of compensation for this delay?

P.S. apologies for the typo in thread title.
If it's weather related the airline owes you no compensation, including any lodging and meals. Only those situations within the airline's control. In a situation like this where one is massively delayed even though weather is involved AA might throw some token miles but compensation in the form of cash, a voucher or reimbursement of expenses is pretty much a no go. If you have travel insurance you can put a claim with them.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Flying on AA to the EU is not EC261 eligible. Perhaps AA might throw you some miles, but if it’s weather related I wouldn’t even count on that.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Smorek
Hello,
What was the difference in arrival time at EDI between your first rebooking (after moving the DFW departure back a day) and your actual arrival? There might be some room for compensation if it's sufficiently long.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
What was the difference in arrival time at EDI between your first rebooking (after moving the DFW departure back a day) and your actual arrival? There might be some room for compensation if it's sufficiently long.
It was only a 1.5 hour difference between scheduled and actual arrival following the rebooking.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
Date: 2/8/2020
Fare Class: Y
What happened: 7hr mechanical delay, 3 of which we were kept on the plane for.
Compensations: 7.5k miles. Proactive without reaching out.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:52 pm

Date: 2/1/2020
Fare Class: C (SWU from Q)
What happened: On AKL to LAX, business class table was inoperable. Served meals in lap. Flight attendant profusely apologetic.
Compensation: 5k miles. Had to reach out.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:55 pm

Date: 1/21/2020
Fare Class: C (SWU from Q)
What happened: Booked BOS-LAX-AKL. BOS-LAX with 3hr mechanical delay due to malfunctioning forward door. Off loaded from plane and will miss connection in LAX. Rebooked on BOS-HKG-AKL in J. Arrive 26 hours after scheduled arrival time in AKL. Bag never offloaded from BOS-LAX. Delivered to me 1 week! later.
Compensation: $300 voucher (initially offered 15k miles which I declined) plus baggage necessities reimbursed (check pending). I'm a little disappointed - 1 day of vacation missed and 1 week of shopping for clothes and hoping my bag shows up the next day. Thoughts from the group?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
  • Date January 13, 2020
  • AAdvantage Status Plat
  • Fare class Economy (Q)
  • What happened In flight entertainment not working on DFW-ORD AA 2374 788
  • Compensation 2,500 miles, posted same day as complaint
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Fair comp for broken IFE in J on longhaul?

Just flew GRU-JFK in J, my IFE was inop for the ENTIRE flight. FA gave me 10k RDM on the little handheld but I feel like that’s low for a 9-10h flight and another 10-20k RDM would be more “fair.” Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.