FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:18 pm
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Smorek
Hello,

I'm not very well versed in the compensation laws and eligibility when it comes to US flights, so I wanted to reach out for advice on whether I am eligible for anything with AA or should I not bother trying.

Details:
FF membership - British Airways (Gold / Oneworld Emerald)
Flight booked through BA on AA metal.
Incident occured on the return journey.
Date of travel - 10 January 2020
Route - BHM - DFW - LHR - EDI

BHM - DFW @5:32 pm - Flight departure delayed c.3 hours due to bad weather over Dallas. Flight itself had to take a detour and took about twice as long as normal. Total delay about 4 hours.
DFW - LHR @8:30 pm - missed the connection due to delays in BHM-DFW, was rebooked on the next available flight which was the next day @5:15 pm
DFW - LHR @5:15 - flight arrived roughly on time but due to gate delays (another plane blocked the gate for c.30 min) I missed the LHR-EDI connection and got rebooked on another one
LHR - EDI @11:25 am - flight roughly on time. Arrival at final destination 21 hours later than initially planned.

At DFW, I was told I am not eligible for anything and that I need to sort out my own acommodation etc., which I have done.

Is there any point to raising this with AA (and through what channels) and are there any chances for any sort of compensation for this delay?

P.S. apologies for the typo in thread title.
If it's weather related the airline owes you no compensation, including any lodging and meals. Only those situations within the airline's control. In a situation like this where one is massively delayed even though weather is involved AA might throw some token miles but compensation in the form of cash, a voucher or reimbursement of expenses is pretty much a no go. If you have travel insurance you can put a claim with them.