Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:00 am

Any advice?

I'm booking a r/t flight using US Air miles to Asia, it's an Open Jaw. Essentially it's Orlando-Brisbane outbound and then Jakarta-Orlando return. I was able to book outbound no problem, when booking return CGK-HKG-DFW-MCO is the preferred routing and it's AA metal except for CX from Jakarta to Hong Kong. The problem the customer service person was running into is that the DFW-MCO leg is showing sold out. KVS has availability as does AA's Aadvantage booking portal in Saaver economy for both that segment and the larger hkg-mco routing, aa.com can't do ckg-mco as CX isn't integrated. As usair.com's portal is a bit wonky I can't come close to doing any type of one-way routing, but a hypothetical round trip dfw-mco with the outbound on the desired time shows economy low availability. So, what magic words do I need to say the customer service to enter into their computer to get on this segment? I'd prefer to not layover overnight at dfw. If anyone wants to dig deeper, 6/3/15 is the flight date. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:34 am

Its an international ticket, cdg-sjc, layovers of 23.9 hours are permitted anywhere along the route. Call back and find an agent that is competent and it should work fine.

Hope you have the first 3 legs on hold... makes the future call (s) easier. HUCA! Just had to do it on a simple one stop partner award. If there is any confusion reiterate cdg is in france, not in the USA, but be polite.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by The Count
Any advice?

I'm booking a r/t flight using US Air miles to Asia, it's an Open Jaw. Essentially it's Orlando-Brisbane outbound and then Jakarta-Orlando return. I was able to book outbound no problem, when booking return CGK-HKG-DFW-MCO is the preferred routing and it's AA metal except for CX from Jakarta to Hong Kong. The problem the customer service person was running into is that the DFW-MCO leg is showing sold out. KVS has availability as does AA's Aadvantage booking portal in Saaver economy for both that segment and the larger hkg-mco routing, aa.com can't do ckg-mco as CX isn't integrated. As usair.com's portal is a bit wonky I can't come close to doing any type of one-way routing, but a hypothetical round trip dfw-mco with the outbound on the desired time shows economy low availability. So, what magic words do I need to say the customer service to enter into their computer to get on this segment? I'd prefer to not layover overnight at dfw. If anyone wants to dig deeper, 6/3/15 is the flight date. Thanks in advance

So brisbane is in australia, a different region, whats your routing there? Cathay all the way? (How many points are they trying to charge you on that r/t for what class)

If its available on aa and us doesnt see it that is strange...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
So brisbane is in australia, a different region, whats your routing there? Cathay all the way? (How many points are they trying to charge you on that r/t for what class)

If its available on aa and us doesnt see it that is strange...
80k points for all coach
AA for MCO-LAX
QF to BNE
CX for CGK-HKG
AA to DFW and then on to MCO

Agent thought it seemed strange, but just seemed frustrated as I had her on the phone for an hour at this point. Reservation is on a 72 hr hold as I'd really like to get home in one day.

Last edited by The Count; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:36 pm Reason: Didn't answer all wuestions
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:15 am

The space is there for sure as of now, I'd call back maybe another agent might do the trick. Maybe involve supervisor etc.

Have you searched for other flights ex-HKG on cathay? They fly to LAX, JFK, and ORD which might have decent connections onto mco. Cathay is a much better experience than AA.

Also, As Long as your using US miles, you can add in a free one way in the middle of your trip, (like brisbane to cgk or something). They allow a stopover and destination.

I've had to call back as many as 15 times to get an agent to book a somewhat complicated ticket before (due to lufthansa issues, over a year ago). The 15th agent did it in a snap, other 14 tried and failed or were clueless.

Good luck!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:53 am

Hi, i'm new to aa award routing rules so please be patient with me

I'd like to fly from DEL to VIE with QR.
DEL - DOH - VIE // Published Routing available
DEL - DOH - CDG // Published Routing available

What if i'd like to fly DEL - DOH - CDG - VIE ?

According to this post it should be possible to make a slight detour i think?

MPM says 5930, via CDG it's 5324

Last edited by ctrlf; Mar 28, 2015 at 1:10 am
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MPM is not relevant since QR has specific routing rules

for DEL-VIE

Code:

1. DEL-DOH-QR-BER/FRA/MUC-LH/OS-VIE
2. DEL-DOH-QR-VIE
so , no, it would not a valid routing. AA requires that a published fare be valid for the journey
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
so , no, it would not a valid routing. AA requires that a published fare be valid for the journey
Thanks for your quick answer Dave Noble! How do i know which rule comes into effect when searching for the right one on EF?

The most expensive one actually does use MPM so i'm getting confused

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Routing Search:
Departing VIE on 03/28/15 for DEL
Fare basis code COWQRAT
Flying QR
Routing via Eastern Hemisphere

V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   COWQRAT        C O 10339.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-VIE TO-DEL    CXR-QR    TVL-28MAR15  RULE-EU02 IPREUAS/4
FARE BASIS-COWQRAT           NORMAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-BR      OW-BUSINESS CLASS RESTRICTED
EUR  9445.00   MPM  E01MAY08 D-INFINITY   FC-COWQRAT  FN-8O   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 03MAR13/1321  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG VIE-DEL/QR      EF-04MAR13 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/ MPM 4744
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
 MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 700 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA BOM
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 700 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA BOM AND DEL
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:55 am

What you have there is one of the fares from VIE to DEL not DEL to VIE

For DEL-VIE Not even the most expensive JOWIN fare has anything other than a designated routing
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What you have there is one of the fares from VIE to DEL not DEL to VIE

For DEL-VIE Not even the most expensive JOWIN fare has anything other than a designated routing

That means from DEL - VIE the routing given in the routing rules is compulsory;
from vie to del you could choose the routing via MPM.

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ctrlf
That means from DEL - VIE the routing given in the routing rules is compulsory;
from vie to del you could choose the routing via MPM.

Thanks for your help!
I wouldn't rely on that strange QR fare for VIE-DEL being usable as the basis. Given that the J fare JOWAT is restricted on routing , I think you will likely be limited by that

The COWQRAT which is triple the price of the J fare and higher than the unrestricted first class YY FIF fare , I suspect will not be used as a basis for permitted routing
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:28 pm

Quick question - looking at a HKG-LAX-JFK F award on CX then AA.

HKG-LAX is available but nothing on the LAX-JFK in Z, but I checked AA.com where they're all available at the AAnytime rate. Would they make those available for me if I call to book the other segment?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by dustclee
Quick question - looking at a HKG-LAX-JFK F award on CX then AA.

HKG-LAX is available but nothing on the LAX-JFK in Z, but I checked AA.com where they're all available at the AAnytime rate. Would they make those available for me if I call to book the other segment?

Thanks!
No. There needs to be availability in Z class, U class or T class if you are happy to book business or economy for that sector. Altermatively , if permitted fir the award, see whether can get availability connecting in USA between LAX and JFK
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find the answer myself.

Can you add a segment to an award trip, or does the trip have to be cancelled and rebooked with the new routing?

My wife and I are flying QF J BNE-LAX. We would like to add CNS-BNE the morning of our current award. We are already incredibly lucky to have 2 J seats from Aus back to the US and I am worried that if I call to add the CNS-BNE leg they will try to cancel and rebook but the J seats we have now will be lost.

I am a new EXP with the merger, both flights were booked with miles from my AA account while I was platinum.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Guitarthur
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find the answer myself.

Can you add a segment to an award trip, or does the trip have to be cancelled and rebooked with the new routing?

My wife and I are flying QF J BNE-LAX. We would like to add CNS-BNE the morning of our current award. We are already incredibly lucky to have 2 J seats from Aus back to the US and I am worried that if I call to add the CNS-BNE leg they will try to cancel and rebook but the J seats we have now will be lost.

I am a new EXP with the merger, both flights were booked with miles from my AA account while I was platinum.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
changing the origin or destination incurs a $150 fee, waived for exp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.