Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2020 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
NOTE: Jan-Feb-Mar 2020 posts have been moved to the archive file that can be read here.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
A flight on Thanksgiving went down in price (which is great because it was EXPENSIVE) and I changed it expecting to get a travel credit.. Got the email difference is going back to your credit card ending in 1234.. I looked at the endorsement on the old reciept and it says 'NonREF/SVCCHGPLUSFAREDIF......".. So it wasnt a refundable fare (it was fare code: G BTW).. I assume normally I will get the fare credit I was expecting. It was the exact same flight, I assume that has nothing to do with it.
It happened again, I was refunded to my credit card rather than giving me a travel voucher. Anyone have any ideas why? Not that I'm complaining just wondering
Old Oct 2, 2020, 5:53 am

"We’re giving you more flexibility by waiving reinstatement fees for awards ticketed by December 31, 2020. Automatic mileage reinstatement: If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements: Travel is on American Airlines flights only."

My award flight is on American Eagle. Does it meet the requirements for free reinstatement?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jadecocoa
"We’re giving you more flexibility by waiving reinstatement fees for awards ticketed by December 31, 2020. Automatic mileage reinstatement: If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements: Travel is on American Airlines flights only."

My award flight is on American Eagle. Does it meet the requirements for free reinstatement?
Yes, as soon the flight is marketed and operated under the AA code, there shouldn't be an issue.
The statement "Travel is on American Airlines flights only" is probably used to indicate that partner awards are not eligible.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I have four 500-mile upgrades in my account and will be flying LAX to JFK in a couple of weeks, a route that requires five in order to upgrade. I have successfully been able to request an upgrade (I have no real hope that it'll clear), even though I am one short. If my upgrade somehow clears will I be asked to pay the $40 for the fifth 500-mile upgrade at that point, or will it be void unless I buy that upgrade ahead of time?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by merlin90
I have four 500-mile upgrades in my account and will be flying LAX to JFK in a couple of weeks, a route that requires five in order to upgrade. I have successfully been able to request an upgrade (I have no real hope that it'll clear), even though I am one short. If my upgrade somehow clears will I be asked to pay the $40 for the fifth 500-mile upgrade at that point, or will it be void unless I buy that upgrade ahead of time?
The upgrade can clear without the required number of upgrades in your account, but you will be required to purchase the 5th sticker before the system will let you check in.
merlin90 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:00 pm

I recall that initially AA change / no fees applied only to revenue tickets not award.

My question is will the following automatically get mileage reinstated if cancelled on line

Ticketed May 10, 2020
Travel 2 people
websaver- on AA,com website
NYC to Florida. TRAVEL DATE DECEMBER 27
can this simply be cancelled by me on line and have the miles automatically miles reinstated,
There are two people on the Itinerary .
Thanks for your time
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by writetorich
I recall that initially AA change / no fees applied only to revenue tickets not award.

My question is will the following automatically get mileage reinstated if cancelled on line

Ticketed May 10, 2020
Travel 2 people
websaver- on AA,com website
NYC to Florida. TRAVEL DATE DECEMBER 27
can this simply be cancelled by me on line and have the miles automatically miles reinstated,
There are two people on the Itinerary .
Thanks for your time
If you cancel online now for a flight in December then the miles should be reinstated automatically within 48 hrs (assuming a few conditions are met per the link below). If they don't show back up in your account in that time frame, then just call AA and they will make it right.

AA.com - Award Travel
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:05 am

Hi, i'm a bit confused with the rules regarding canceling a flight using the Travel with Confidence policy.
Last week I bought a BRU-North America ticket for travel in June. I'm considering booking another option and cancelling this one.

1. I called AA and the agent said I could change the flight once but it should originate in Brussels, the original departure point. Also said I should call back when I know the new dates, no voucher or something possible.

2. On AA's website I found this:
For any new tickets booked between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, we’re expanding our offer to waive change fees for all dates, regardless of fare type or itinerary. This offer includes Basic Economy fares and AAdvantage® award tickets.

Keep in mind:
  • You may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.
  • You’re allowed to change your origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
3. When I go to my booking I have the option of cancelling the ticket and it says somehting in the likes of "the value of your ticket is save, just call us when you want to make a new booking"

Just wondering what the correct option is, option 3 would be best for me as i don't have any specific plans yet.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, MileagePlus PS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Flying first for the first time next Sunday and, as I understand it, the only service available is light snacks and beverages, including alcohol. What sorts of drinks do they have on-board? Is it consistant or does it vary by flight?
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by aibino
Flying first for the first time next Sunday and, as I understand it, the only service available is light snacks and beverages, including alcohol. What sorts of drinks do they have on-board? Is it consistant or does it vary by flight?
Hi ​​​aibino and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Unless you're flying premium transcontinental, the drink choices are the same as the BoB menu that was offered pre-COVID.

- Water
- Canned beverages
- Juices
- Beer
- Wine
- Spirits & Digestives
- Coffee ( not sure about Decaf )
- Tea
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, MileagePlus PS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi ​​​aibino and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Unless you're flying premium transcontinental, the drink choices are the same as the BoB menu that was offered pre-COVID.

- Water
- Canned beverages
- Juices
- Beer
- Wine
- Spirits & Digestives
- Coffee ( not sure about Decaf )
- Tea
Thank you! I've been lurking on here for a bit but wanted to join in on the conversation.

And thanks for the info! It's a short flight so nothing fancy, but I wanted to make the most of it since it was a free upgrade. Hopefully we can see regular on-board service by next year.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:51 am

I have tickets to go fly home from AUS to PHL on Thanksgiving Day and COVID has caused a drastic cuts to all of November especially Thanksgiving. My nonstop flight AA2331 (1235pm departure) has been canceled and I'm now on a flight thru DFW at 1000am. I need to be at work on Friday as I work in retail. While yes I know its quite risky to do it that way before they slashed the flight schedule there were at least 3+ flights available if my 1230 nonstop got significantly delayed some leaving as late as 430pm. Now my flight is the last flight combo to PHL that day (if I get stuck in either airport no way I'm getting back to PHL that day).

So I was thinking about flying back on Wednesday the 25th, are they going to allow me to change it to a different day considering there are such limited schedules on Thanksgiving? My parents were also booked on that flight but they are on AS award tickets while Im a regular AA revenue ticket, I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have tickets to go fly home from AUS to PHL on Thanksgiving Day and COVID has caused a drastic cuts to all of November especially Thanksgiving. My nonstop flight AA2331 (1235pm departure) has been canceled and I'm now on a flight thru DFW at 1000am. I need to be at work on Friday as I work in retail. While yes I know its quite risky to do it that way before they slashed the flight schedule there were at least 3+ flights available if my 1230 nonstop got significantly delayed some leaving as late as 430pm. Now my flight is the last flight combo to PHL that day (if I get stuck in either airport no way I'm getting back to PHL that day).

So I was thinking about flying back on Wednesday the 25th, are they going to allow me to change it to a different day considering there are such limited schedules on Thanksgiving? My parents were also booked on that flight but they are on AS award tickets while Im a regular AA revenue ticket, I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue.
For the AA issued revenue ticket ( your one ), you have the opportunity to change your flight to the previous Wednesday, although as the AA policy allowing only to move your flights 24 hours forward and backwards without paying any fare difference, you would be only allowed to change to a flight departing from Austin after 12:35 pm on Wednesday.

I am not sure about the AS award ticket policies so I would leave that part to another member.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For the AA issued revenue ticket ( your one ), you have the opportunity to change your flight to the previous Wednesday, although as the AA policy allowing only to move your flights 24 hours forward and backwards without paying any fare difference, you would be only allowed to change to a flight departing from Austin after 12:35 pm on Wednesday.

I am not sure about the AS award ticket policies so I would leave that part to another member.
Great to know, I plan on flying back in the afternoon anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great to know, I plan on flying back in the afternoon anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks
You're welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.