Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying domestic leg of international itinerary without passport: possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying domestic leg of international itinerary without passport: possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by dls25
AA does not check passports mid-trip. You have to have it at check-in or you will be denied boarding at the first leg.
The second part is right, but he absolutely will have his passport checked before boarding the JFK-BCN leg too.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
They need to FedEx him the passport. He won't be allowed on the plane without it. He might be able to check in on the App just entering the passport info, but his boarding pass won't be "Docs OK" and he'll be asked by the Gate Agent to show his passport on the first leg.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Others are right, the GA will get a message to scan the passport even if you have OLCI.

Obviously AA doesn't want to have to transport you back to the origin of you actually can't secure your passport at the connection point (or something else, like it turns out your passport is expired).
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AA-EXP
To add an additional data point--I had an international itinerary (SJC-DFW-MEX) with a domestic stopover in DFW for a few days and was paged to gate in SJC to show passport prior to boarding after using mobile check-in.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:42 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
With very narrow exceptions, no. The narrow exception would be if for some reason the first segment of the ticket has a fare break and isn’t actually part of the international ticket. You’ll know if you go to check in and the app/kiosk only thinks you’re going to JFK. Unlikely.

American can always break their own policies, but that’s no guarantee that they will do so for you.

You could probably pay to reissue the ticket in a fashion with a jfk stopover to make this work, but a $25 overnight letter would certainly be a lot cheaper.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
At CMH the gate will page him to verify the passport before boarding. If he doesn't respond, the scanner will deny him boarding at the gate until the passport is verified.
CLT and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
No guarantees it will work, but you could TRY having the parents go to JFK before the CMH-JFK flight and find a sympathetic agent enter the passport info. Probably would work a lot better in the flagship lounge.

I don't think it matters *where* the passport is validated. Once someone has checked the passport, that check shouldn't be needed for subsequent flights. I'm not sure if the agents are supposed to perform positive ID (in my experience, they never compare my picture to the photo).

Probably easier to mail the passport still.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by no2chem
No guarantees it will work, but you could TRY having the parents go to JFK before the CMH-JFK flight and find a sympathetic agent enter the passport info. Probably would work a lot better in the flagship lounge.

I don't think it matters *where* the passport is validated. Once someone has checked the passport, that check shouldn't be needed for subsequent flights. I'm not sure if the agents are supposed to perform positive ID (in my experience, they never compare my picture to the photo).

Probably easier to mail the passport still.
I don’t think this is very good advice. It is highly unlikely that an agent can or would do this, and then what happens? The son is denied boarding with no alternative.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don’t think this is very good advice. It is highly unlikely that an agent can or would do this, and then what happens? The son is denied boarding with no alternative.
Just offering a suggestion in case the flight is today or tomorrow!

I think I put enough disclaimers to suggest it was an option of last resort

I'm pretty sure an agent *could* do this out of last resort. I mean *if* AA were a problem solving customer focused airline JFK could video chat CMH to do the verification!

But yeah, they're not. Used to probably be a few AAngels that would use common sense and problem solve, but they probably all got fired or found new jobs at Delta.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How can an agent in one location verify the identity of someone in a completely different location? I’m certain they are prohibited from doing this.
onanisland and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by no2chem
I'm pretty sure an agent *could* do this out of last resort.
They're not going to allow boarding at CMH without a valid passport. This is not an AA issue, it's a basic rule regardless of carrier.
LondonElite and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I hope the parents have already been to a fed ex / ups office and got the passport on the way.

Heck I'd even be considering one of them jumping on the first flight (no matter the airline) to CMH to get it to him
M60_to_LGA and Misco60 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They're not going to allow boarding at CMH without a valid passport. This is not an AA issue, it's a basic rule regardless of carrier.
The passport is valid, just in the *wrong* location

<redacted> a rules-based AAgent, who sometimes makes up their own rules to fit their narrative!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2022 at 3:08 pm Reason: Redacted ad hominem
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
How can an agent in one location verify the identity of someone in a completely different location? I’m certain they are prohibited from doing this.
Its called zoom?

I mean this is how stuff like telehealth works... Have you done a CDC required verification of your identification for a covid test lately?

I also am not sure they need to do a positive ID check. They probably just need to make sure the passport matches the name.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:32 pm

Existing thread here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.