Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying domestic leg of international itinerary without passport: possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying domestic leg of international itinerary without passport: possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:49 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Is this a recent thing within the past 5-10 years ago? I don't remember the US3 being so strict regarding a passport check on a domestic leg of an international itinerary.

Last year I flew DL CLT-SLC-YVR and they called my name over the PA so they could check my passport at the podium prior to boarding, and then insisted I have it out and open to the photo page while boarding CLT-SLC. Then of course I had to go to the podium again again in SLC and receive on my boarding pass that my passport had been verified, while also having to have it out during the boarding process. I understand that airlines are trying to avoid fines from various immigration authorities, but the checks on the CLT-SLC leg seemed extreme.

AA did the same thing a couple of years back when I flew CLT-PHL-YHZ.

I also don't remember hearing the "If you are connecting to an international destination today, please come see me at the podium for a passport check" announcement as often as I do now.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Another option: Using the AA app, have someone in LA login to her account and check-in for her. Then, use the new passport scanning functionality in the app when that someone is checking her in. The agent in BNA should not be prompted to ask for the passport if it's been scanned using the app.

I used this feature last Friday on my way to Mexico, and no agent at DCA or PHX asked to see my passport since I had scanned it already using the AA app. Others traveling with me had the same experience. Even in PHX, where we were boarding the international leg, the agent looked at his screen after we scanned our mobile boarding passes and, after seeing a message, waved us through without looking at our passports. We had them in our hands, but he never took them to look at them. Regardless ... definitely no one in DCA asked for the passports while boarding DCA-PHX, paged us to the desk, etc. like an agent would have done had the boarding passes been manually entered.

See Newsroom - American Airlines First to Launch Mobile App Passport Scanning - American Airlines Group, Inc..

Or https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...your-passport/.
This would work unless AA did a document check. In which case you likely would end up with issues.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by CLT
Is this a recent thing within the past 5-10 years ago? I don't remember the US3 being so strict regarding a passport check on a domestic leg of an international itinerary.

Last year I flew DL CLT-SLC-YVR and they called my name over the PA so they could check my passport at the podium prior to boarding, and then insisted I have it out and open to the photo page while boarding CLT-SLC. Then of course I had to go to the podium again again in SLC and receive on my boarding pass that my passport had been verified, while also having to have it out during the boarding process. I understand that airlines are trying to avoid fines from various immigration authorities, but the checks on the CLT-SLC leg seemed extreme.

AA did the same thing a couple of years back when I flew CLT-PHL-YHZ.

I also don't remember hearing the "If you are connecting to an international destination today, please come see me at the podium for a passport check" announcement as often as I do now.
It definitely had to have started in the past 5-10 years. I used to be based in some small midwestern town and all international trips connected through ORD, and I distinctly remember regularly having to show my passport to the GA at ORD since I got on the domestic leg without showing anyone my passport.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CLT

Last year I flew DL CLT-SLC-YVR and they called my name over the PA so they could check my passport at the podium prior to boarding, and then insisted I have it out and open to the photo page while boarding CLT-SLC. Then of course I had to go to the podium again again in SLC and receive on my boarding pass that my passport had been verified, while also having to have it out during the boarding process. I understand that airlines are trying to avoid fines from various immigration authorities, but the checks on the CLT-SLC leg seemed extreme
2018 I had BOS-LAX-HND with overnight at LAX on AA. AAgent at BOS told me that when dom-int is less than 24 hrs. the system require document check on domestic portion even if a connection is overnight.

On separate situation an agent said many countries, including the U.S., make minor changes in document requirements frequently. Each time airlines have to review the changes and see if current system still comply or make any changes to airline procedures.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They must carry a passenger who may not qualify to continue on. If flight is overbooked by one, this means paying someone even though international passenger may not be able to fly on.
Okay, yes, it gives the airline an excuse to deny someone boarding without compensation.
Two, cost to then fly passenger back to origin if they dont get passport.
Why would the airline have to cover this? Pax is at fault and would have to buy a walk-up ticket, right?
Third and last, agent at international flight might not pay attention and board passenger anyway. Ie some issue comes up requiring agent to do something, and with boarding already underway,they simply scan passenger on.
There would be no more risk of this than for someone on a nonstop O&D international flight, though. For a connection, if the airline could provide only the domestic BP and then require checking in with passport at the hub to receive the international BP, there would still be a redundant check beyond the GA. That is, allow treating it like separate tickets even if it isn't.

ETA: And if the question is what's in it for AA to allow this, they could certainly charge a fee to gain revenue and offset any administrative costs. Pax in this situation are desperate (witness this thread) and the fee just has to be less than the pax's best alternative.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Jan 3, 2020 at 8:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If, on the other hand, she is ticketed with a connection D-I at LAX and it turns out that there is no passport, AA is stuck with a passenger mid-journey at LAX.
I would like to understand this better. Exactly why is this a problem for AA? The pax has failed to meet their obligations and AA can wash their hands of them at LAX then. If they're worried about some kind of social media blowback, just require the passport-less pax to sign a card at initial check-in saying "I understand that I will be required to provide an eligible passport before boarding international flight __ on date __. If I fail to do so, my entire itinerary may be canceled and AA bears no responsibility."
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I would like to understand this better. Exactly why is this a problem for AA? The pax has failed to meet their obligations and AA can wash their hands of them at LAX then. If they're worried about some kind of social media blowback, just require the passport-less pax to sign a card at initial check-in saying "I understand that I will be required to provide an eligible passport before boarding international flight __ on date __. If I fail to do so, my entire itinerary may be canceled and AA bears no responsibility."
They'd have to unload checked bags too.

It's just easier to handle it at origin.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Situation that OP was in a rare/unique situation and I think 99.99% of the time international traveling pax have
no issues presenting a PP when asked. Not sure why this is made into a big deal by anyone ! Only on FT
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
They'd have to unload checked bags too.

It's just easier to handle it at origin.
Well, they could have a policy not to check bags through in this situation, right? As I suggested above, "allow treating it like separate tickets even if it isn't".
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sure they could. But, that is not a simple thing for the world's largest air carrier. It means training not only its own agents, but providing a training module for every express carrier out there.

This policy is simple and stops the problem at the origin. The required information is all in TIMATIC and AA has a help desk.

What you are proposing means changes to the software for all D-I connections requiring a path to check people in without proper docs, but not check their bags to the final destination. Bottom line is that even that only solves one problem.

Proper documentation has always been 100% the passenger's responsibility and leaving it there is likely in everyone's greater interest. While OP's situation is unfortunate, in most cases, either the passenger lacks proper documentation in which travel is a no go or has left it at home and thus the place to catch it is at the origin.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It may have been an agent handling fee. I know I had to have meds sent via UPS to NZ once. There was no issue with customs and no import fees as meds were for personal use and limited to one month supply. However I did have to pay a fee before picking up package. UPS doesn't do there own customs processing. Thus I had to pay the company that did that. (UPS told my parents when dropping off the package that there would be a fee due)
This makes sense, although there might have also been a government charge for the actual customs inspection itself.

Originally Posted by Often1
If you had an intervening non-holiday weekday, the US Consulate in London would have issued a "passport replacing document" good to get you back to the US and nowhere else.

As a USN, you can't lawfully be denied entry to the US and the document serves the purpose of assuring your air carrier that it will not be penalized.

The import fee was likely a cargo fee assessed by AA for the paperwork of processing the package through Customs, e.g. "importing" the contents into the UK.
Could it have been a government fee for the customs inspection itself? I would hope that the shipping charges would have included all requirements to the shipping company, AA in this case.

Originally Posted by sassysan
It definitely had to have started in the past 5-10 years. I used to be based in some small midwestern town and all international trips connected through ORD, and I distinctly remember regularly having to show my passport to the GA at ORD since I got on the domestic leg without showing anyone my passport.
I've been in situations where the technical rules (domestic to international ticket, not checking luggage) said that I only needed to check in by T-30 (and OLCI OK) but I needed to show passport to airline agent at the originating airport by T-60.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This makes sense, although there might have also been a government charge for the actual customs inspection itself.

Could it have been a government fee for the customs inspection itself? I would hope that the shipping charges would have included all requirements to the shipping company, AA in this case.

I've been in situations where the technical rules (domestic to international ticket, not checking luggage) said that I only needed to check in by T-30 (and OLCI OK) but I needed to show passport to airline agent at the originating airport by T-60.
Shipping Fees - Not necessarily. While inapplicable to a one-off customer such as this, larger business customers likely pay a customs broker directly because they use many more vendors than just AA. Thus, it is not quite so simple.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Can you check in for and board domestic portion of an int’l itin without a passport

Nephew is flying CMH-JFK-BCN, all on the same PNR. He’s meeting his parents at JFK and traveling the international segment with them. And they have his passport. Do they need to FedEx the passport to him, or will AA allow him to travel CMH-JFK without a passport?

Edited to add: Let’s assume he has no checked luggage. I can’t imagine them allowing him to check a bag without his passport.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:18 am

Don't even try. It is not worth the trouble.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
AA does not check passports mid-trip. You have to have it at check-in or you will be denied boarding at the first leg.
BearX220 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.