Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Would you mind explaining why you’d need several of the same AA card rather than one each of three different AA cards? Hard to believe anyone would need three, let alone six or 12, of the same AA card when authorized user cards exist. This is especially true when you consider the $95 annual fee.
Whether or not anyone needs several AA cards is irrelevant. No one needs any particular credit card. People are allowed to have more than they need of many things.

The questions should be how many cards are you allowed under AA's and Citi's T&Cs and did you get those cards by engaging in fraudulent or similar behavior.

AA may set any rules it wants. It should not be able to change those rules and enforce them retroactively.

Signing up your pets for AA accounts and using the resultant offer codes or otherwise using offer codes meant for others? AA should have at it. Signing up for business cards without a business? Not exactly a pure move. Signing up for multiple cards at a time when that was permitted (including being known by AA and Citi without either giving any indication it was an issue), then confiscating miles? That's something else.

What is AA actually doing? It's not clear to me.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by jashsu
I wonder how many $100k customers engage in Citi/AA mailer hijinx.
The one current Concierge Key member I know goes out of his way to go to AA Dining participating restaurants for lunch to get what is typically just dozens of miles per transaction, then will fly to Asia the next day in full fare business or first, earning far more. These rewards programs drive interesting behavior - I wouldn’t be in the least bit shocked to hear of some high status holders participating, even if they don’t really need to.
Happy and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Global321
If you are a $100k customer and opened 3 of the SAME card, I can see AA letting it go. Your ROI as a customer is much greater than the "abuse".
If you are a once a year customer and opened 3 of the SAME card, I can see AA closing your account. Your ROI as a customer is much less than the "abuse.”
It doesn’t appear they’re doing any of this sort of analysis, just shutting down accounts.

I think many of the corporate shills are giving AA too much credit for being shrew. This is the same executive team who declared the stock price would hit $60 before the end of 2018. Current stock price looks to be less than half of that.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
Whether or not anyone needs several AA cards is irrelevant. No one needs any particular credit card. People are allowed to have more than they need of many things.

The questions should be how many cards are you allowed under AA's and Citi's T&Cs and did you get those cards by engaging in fraudulent or similar behavior.

AA may set any rules it wants. It should not be able to change those rules and enforce them retroactively.

Signing up your pets for AA accounts and using the resultant offer codes or otherwise using offer codes meant for others? AA should have at it. Signing up for business cards without a business? Not exactly a pure move. Signing up for multiple cards at a time when that was permitted (including being known by AA and Citi without either giving any indication it was an issue), then confiscating miles? That's something else.

What is AA actually doing? It's not clear to me.
Again, there was never a “rule” that people could have six or 12 or 30 AA cards, just like there was never a rule that the Rothstein guy with the lifetime pass could book 20 flights per day and cancel 19 of them.

Any customer who needs a company to explicitly list every single form of unethical behavior for them is a customer not worth having.

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
It doesn’t appear they’re doing any of this sort of analysis, just shutting down accounts.
According to whom? Where are all the AA elites who’ve been shut down?

I think many of the corporate shills are giving AA too much credit for being shrew. This is the same executive team who declared the stock price would hit $60 before the end of 2018. Current stock price looks to be less than half of that.
AA churners pretending to care about AA’s stock price. Hilarious.
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Hard to imagine any, given that the amount of miles earned through ticket purchase alone would be a huge number. Then again, I recall when Winona Ryder was arrested for shoplifting over $5000 in goods from Saks many years ago when she was at the height of her career and could easily pay for the merchandise. Nothing surprises me these days.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:51 am

Funny you should say that. 5 year Ex Plat reported getting shutdown this morning.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Funny you should say that. 5 year Ex Plat reported getting shutdown this morning.
A person spending $100,000 on AA is CK, not ExPlat.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Link? Source? Were they up to some churn?

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Come on now.

If they are just shutting down accounts without analysis, why are we not hearing from a bunch of elites (that earned status) crying foul?
If they are just shutting down accounts without analysis, why are we not hearing from a bunch of 'innocents' crying foul?

The only people we are hearing from are people who gamed the system anywhere from a little to a lot.

Seems like they are booting exactly who they wanted to boot.
Finkface and joe_miami like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:11 am

Link? Source? Were they up to some churn?
Yes.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I really wish these posts were accompanied by the methods the member used to apply for credit cards and how many credit cards they applied for over the last year or two. Were any of the application methods questionable (purchased codes, mailers sent to others, electronic apps where the name was changed?). Until we're down to that level of detail, it's just impossible to say whether AA is acting properly or not or whether status has any bearing at all.
GUWonder and sdsearch like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by tom911
I really wish these posts were accompanied by the methods the member used to apply for credit cards and how many credit cards they applied for over the last year or two. Were any of the application methods questionable (purchased codes, mailers sent to others, electronic apps where the name was changed?). Until we're down to that level of detail, it's just impossible to say whether AA is acting properly or not or whether status has any bearing at all.
Isn't the lack of information, a possible conformation of shenanigans? No one is saying "hey I only applied for 1/2/3 cards on mailers sent to me and I got shut down."
Isn't the lack of a group of elites saying hey my account got shut down and all I did was grab a card or two in my name a possible conformation of AA getting this right?

What we do have is a lot of people saying 'hey it never said I couldn't apply for 5/67/8/9 cards in one year' / ' no one said I couldn't use someone else's codes' so I should be fine.

And I am not even saying some of them don't have a good argument, but they were not in either group I mentioned above, thus, we have some information to the criteria AA is using.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:55 am

Clearly there's no requirement to share that level of detail (number of apps and method of application), and I can see why most here that are impacted may not want to post that, but hard for someone not impacted, like me, to make any judgement because the facts are just not out there in public. Yes, lots of discussion about what the fine print said or didn't say, but no personal application history and what methods were used to really say that AA is to blame here. We'll just keep going in circles when evidence is not presented.
JDiver, sdsearch and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Clearly there's no requirement to share that level of detail (number of apps and method of application), and I can see why most here that are impacted may not want to post that, but hard for someone not impacted, like me, to make any judgement because the facts are just not out there in public. Yes, lots of discussion about what the fine print said or didn't say, but no personal application history and what methods were used to really say that AA is to blame here. We'll just keep going in circles when evidence is not presented.
So your theory is that the churners have been very vocal and (mostly) upfront about their schemes to get multiple signup bonuses, but the 'innocents' are just a quiet group that don't want to say they were wronged?

Seems like a stretch.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:59 pm

I disagree that churners, if you want to call them by that name, have been up front. If anything, they've been busy complaining about the fine print and quiet about the details of their application strategies. How many purchased those $30-50 codes, filed applications that were sent by mail to someone else, changed electronic applications and inserted their own names, or might have even been involved in the marketing of those codes? What did they do that got AA's attention?

I don't have the answer to any of those questions. Does AA? Maybe some of it. Does it factor into accounts being locked or terminated? Not enough information on this forum to make a call on that.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:22 pm

If they are just shutting down accounts without analysis, why are we not hearing from a bunch of elites (that earned status) crying foul?
If they are just shutting down accounts without analysis, why are we not hearing from a bunch of 'innocents' crying foul?

The only people we are hearing from are people who gamed the system anywhere from a little to a lot.

Seems like they are booting exactly who they wanted to boot.
There’s plenty of data points on status holders getting the boot, just not in this thread. Why would someone in that situation want to come talk about it in front of a bunch of people who’ve already decided they’re committing fraud? Every person who has posted in here with a relatively innocent story is met with “you must not be telling us everything and are a liar.”
GUWonder, Happy, hurnik and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.