Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doesn't matter. The game and coverage of it is stacked in AA's favor. That's nothing new and was expected.
Ok, how about this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you think this is common knowledge? Or, those allegedly caught up in AA's purge weren't aware of this?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Often1
So sue.

But your interpretation is not just as valid as AA's. You agreed to a contract which expressly states, "in AA's sole discretion". That is hard to get around.
Most corporate-drafted contracts or terms of service are written like this. Most first-draft legal documents are written one-sided like this. It is generally up to the other side's counsel to make the contract more balanced.

Of course, it is not feasible for every AA flyer/AAdvantage member have their own lawyer look at the CoC, make edits, and return it to AA. So in general the corporate-written terms are the ones that stay. If you were a big enough customer of AA's, like Walmart (?), you likely have your own negotiated contract with AA that supersedes the boilerplate terms. But there isn't going to be this level of back-and-forth between AA and every customer.

In light of this, many terms end up being overly one-sided, and in the event of dispute, the courts generally interpret the language to be more neutral as if it had been negotiated from the start. In addition, any contract or terms are subject to relevant laws of fair dealing, etc. So don't look at AA's terms/contracts, see how one-sided they are, and assume that AA is some sort of god. They aren't.

Honestly, this is an often-raised criticism of FT, but Stockholm syndrome seems to be taking hold in this thread. People involved in an ecosystem for way too long become aggressively defensive of that ecosystem. It reminds me of posters in Apple forums, when Apple makes a design decision like the below mouse charger and longtime Apple customers defend it:

strickerj and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Serious question.

Wouldn't you think any perk abuser sophisticated enough with the necessary credit profile and resources available with which to exploit this Citi AA arbitrage would have or should have known about the risks involved, in particular and specifically as it relates to AA's well known reputation on taking draconian measures against those whom they believe are engaging in conduct detrimental to their rewards program?
Everyone knew there were risks that the ability to so easily churn these cards would one day come to an end, just as every other bank has put an end to it. The thought was that Citi would wisen up and close the holes in their sign up process. No one expected that AA would suddenly consider getting multiple of the credit cards they hawk in flight abuse and cancel everyone’s trips, confiscate miles, and shut down accounts.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
If the were sent an invite due to creating AAdvantage accounts in multiple names?
A clear rule violation.

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
There’s nothing wrong with using someone else’s voucher? I don’t get it.
IMHO - I think it is clear using someone else's voucher would be against the rules. But that is just my opinion.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Global321
IMHO - I think it is clear using someone else's voucher would be against the rules. But that is just my opinion.
What rules? Citi rules or AA rules?
ijgordon and GUWonder like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:42 am

If AA were shutting down accounts of hospitalized grannies for nothing more than earning miles from medical bills on old AA bank cards, then maybe things would work out a bit differently.
Not suggesting AA would do this, and only speaking for myself. Not to seem like a monster (ok, I admit, couldn't care less if anyone thought I was a monster), but if in my business the above referenced granny engaged in the same or similar type of activity in which I've purged other clients, I would do the same. No exceptions. No favoritism. I run an algorithm absent of emotion and everyone it spits out gets ripped a new one.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:47 am

No one expected that AA would suddenly consider getting multiple of the credit cards they hawk in flight abuse and cancel everyone’s trips, confiscate miles, and shut down accounts.
Where I come from, this is called a miscalculation. Predicting future events are uncertain, at best.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Don't know the numbers but surely AA gave this a lot of analysis, thought and legal guidance. Depending upon the numbers this may have gone to the C suite for a decision. Most assured AA's cc partners were brought in on the discussion. I'm presuming that number one the cost of providing reward flights to cc churners far exceeded the revenue from selling miles. Two, the Legal Department gave its blessing and likely recommend a closing of accounts with no method for AAdvantage holders to dispute. Finally, while AA seems not to have made any official comment on this action unofficially constant cc churners are being told that AA doesn't want their business.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You're mischaracterizing a whole forum. Some others on that sub expressed similar views but they are still active. So perhaps there is another reason for the ban? idk
Out of ~1,000 members, I counted three people who didn’t believe they were innocent victims. Three. I didn’t “mischaracterize” anything.

Anyway, as predicted, the Bloomberg story is a disaster for AA churners. All it accomplished was to remind bank, airline, and hotel executives to watch out for program abuse.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Pretty common sense stuff, right? Kind of how like I received, say, a letter delivered across State lines from the USPS addressed to someone else. Ah, not only do I open a USPS letter addressed to another person, but upon finding a wad of cash with a letter declaring "for Dim Kettle," I decide that possession is 9/10ths of the law and keep the money for myself.
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:05 am

What rules? Citi rules or AA rules?
Citi rules:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive account in the past 48 months.

AA Rules:
Members may only participate in this Offer with one (1) AAdvantage® account. If a Member is found to be participating with multiple AAdvantage® accounts, all bonus miles earned from this Offer will be forfeited and removed from the Member’s account.

Seems pretty clear to me.
hurnik likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Everyone knew there were risks that the ability to so easily churn these cards would one day come to an end, just as every other bank has put an end to it. The thought was that Citi would wisen up and close the holes in their sign up process. No one expected that AA would suddenly consider getting multiple of the credit cards they hawk in flight abuse and cancel everyone’s trips, confiscate miles, and shut down accounts.
I would be curious to know what the biggest single mileage account balance was for any of the account shut-downs that happened for this.

Even as there are various types of people who may be considered "sophisticated" "gamers" and probably various types who got hit by the account shutdowns of the sort that headline this thread, if the most "sophisticated" "gamers" with the account shutdowns of this sort had expected they were at risk of account closure from AA over card application SUBs, then they more likely would have expected an AA account shutdown and they would have had little to nothing to complain about at this point. Why? Because they would not want to have much, if any skin, in the game come time of AA account shutdowns over this and they would have already reduced their exposure to loss from AA account shutdowns. They would have set up and run down the account mileage balances very quickly and probably far more creatively than gets talked about a lot here (if at all). Those are the kind of customers that push the limits to such an extent that they know they are doing something wrong and go in knowing full well that they should expect to get fired by AA. But the people who didn't take such extreme measures to wipe-out big balances from lots of SUBs are probably the people who thought this game would end with Citi doing what other banks do, that is shutting down SUBs on card applications but AA not doing much of anything about it. I would expect the latter to be more common than the former.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Pretty common sense stuff, right? Kind of how like I received, say, a letter delivered across State lines from the USPS addressed to someone else. Ah, not only do I open a USPS letter addressed to another person, but upon finding a wad of cash with a letter declaring "for Dim Kettle," I decide that possession is 9/10ths of the law and keep the money for myself.
Exactly right. These guys talk about mailers like they were nameless drink coupons, but the reality is that the allegedly acceptable “transferability” only happened if the user correctly entered the recipient’s info on the landing page before changing the name to their own (or their spouse, sibling, etc.) on the next page.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

I would be curious to know what the biggest single mileage account balance was for any of the account shut-downs that happened for this.

Even as there are various types of people who may be considered "sophisticated" "gamers" and probably various types who got hit by the account shutdowns of the sort that headline this thread, if the most "sophisticated" "gamers" with the account shutdowns of this sort had expected they were at risk of account closure from AA over card application SUBs, then they more likely would have expected an AA account shutdown and they would have had little to nothing to complain about at this point. Why? Because they would not want to have much, if any skin, in the game come time of AA account shutdowns over this and they would have already reduced their exposure to loss from AA account shutdowns. They would have set up and run down the account mileage balances very quickly and probably far more creatively than gets talked about a lot here (if at all). Those are the kind of customers that push the limits to such an extent that they know they are doing something wrong and go in knowing full well that they should expect to get fired by AA. But the people who didn't take such extreme measures to wipe-out big balances from lots of SUBs are probably the people who thought this game would end with Citi doing what other banks do, that is shutting down SUBs on card applications but AA not doing much of anything about it. I would expect the latter to be more common than the former.
I’ve seen multiple reports of people losing over 1,200,000 miles as well as families losing over 2,000,000 combined.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Exactly right. These guys talk about mailers like they were nameless drink coupons, but the reality is that the allegedly acceptable “transferability” only happened if the user correctly entered the recipient’s info on the landing page before changing the name to their own (or their spouse, sibling, etc.) on the next page.
LOL...yeah. Imagine, if my defense upon stealing a car were, "I didn't know I was stealing the car. It's just another Black SBC and thought it was mine." But, I had to jimmy the car, hot wire it before driving off, and then bring it to the hoc shop to change the reg & plated before driving it home to my garage as my own.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 21, 2019 at 10:08 am Reason: PS... (redacted>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.