Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA announces new "nerd bird" routes: AUS-BOS, AUS-SJC and "special event" city pairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA announces new "nerd bird" routes: AUS-BOS, AUS-SJC and "special event" city pairs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Ok I have to ask.... I don't get the "nerd" reference.....
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MorganB
Flights between major tech centers. Thus nerd birds.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
BOS is truly a bloodbath in terms of airlines battling it out. Great for BOS flyers. Funny, I remember when folks decried BOS fares and would go to MHT, PVD, and even BDL to avoid it. Now it seems BOS is drawing a lot of that traffic back.
Funny, the only way BOS is a good airport to fly from, I might argue, is if you can buy F, since there are non-stops on some airline, but it isn't consistent. Nearly every airline has its negatives. I've been looking pretty hard at switching to Delta. I can't just fully sort out the switching costs (which are small, admittedly). My hurdles: 1. I really dislike the long trip from the gates to the curb in Terminal A. It seems minor, I suppose, but at midnight, I've already had it. 2. Having to park in Central Parking (AA has the terminal B parking benefit). By the time I'm in my car from a Delta flight, I'm already most of the way home on a Delta flight. Traffic permitting, natch. 3. I know the routes and terminals so well on AA after 2MM miles, that it is less stressful to travel. Plus, while DFW is no great shakes, ATL can really stink in terms of transfers.

What could tip the scales in Delta's favor:
Delta flew BOS-SFO more often than once a day.
Delta had less than exorbitant pricing on the Asia flights that land in Detroit. Since AA abandoned east-coasters in terms of Asia travel, I have been contemplating a switch. (I can't take UA as that airline only really works for GS passengers domestically).

If I have gone too far off from the OT (and there is a Delta switching thread) feel free to move this post...
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
I wonder if they are getting incentives now for these "new" nonstops. AUS has CDG LHR AMS and FRA non-stops now, just off the top of my head.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ional-flights/
plus LGW
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MorganB
Nerds or geeks, but nerd rhymes with bird.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold
United Express does fly LAX PSP 1x day except in deep summer when it disappears

Last edited by drgreg; Dec 12, 2019 at 10:05 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Agreed! Does anyone fly this route anymore?
In the 1970s, AA flew a DC-10 LAX-PSP-PHX-ORD-DTW.

I took the flight when I was 6 years old from PSP to DTW, and I still remember seeing the inbound DC-10 landing, with the Santa Rosa mountains in the background.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Some days having over 1000+ seats each way daily (3x B6, 2x AA, 1x DL, 1x WN) seems absurd to me.
And then there's SxSW, ACL Fest, and F1, when that doesn't seem like enough capacity...
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
And then there's SxSW, ACL Fest, and F1, when that doesn't seem like enough capacity...
These routes start in April, when South by happens in March.
If the routes are still around, they could be helpful for ACL and F1 next fall.

But I definitely agree, it would be nice if airlines could add more capacity for these events. As a local, I generally avoid even going near those areas. Thankfully I live about equidistant between AUS and GRK, and can use GRK when AUS is a mess (although there are only flights to DFW from GRK).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by redct
Competition on AUS-BOS is steadily increasing - with the AA flights, there will now be 2x AA, 2x B6, 1x WN, 1x DL each way on the weekdays.
B6 announced a 3rd daily BOS-AUS frequency, starting, 'summer," 2020:
https://www.boston.com/travel/travel...miEbMm-ZbT1H7E
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Forgot the SAS flights for SXSW last march

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...in-march-2019/
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What a tough crowd, AA brings back routes and everyone is still angry. I'm happy for any new or restored service and happier still to see BOS being slowly built back up.
teemuflyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:36 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by CMK10
What a tough crowd, AA brings back routes and everyone is still angry. I'm happy for any new or restored service and happier still to see BOS being slowly built back up.
Agreed. I find the build-up in BOS interesting due to AA's recent hub-only strategy, and the fact that there are DL/B6 in the market, but I still find it welcome.

BOS-LHR can be explained by the fact that the BA flights on the same route are extremely profitable, AA used to fly it on their own metal, and there's a large base of credit card holders in BOS that might want to fly to Europe on AA.

I do wonder if we will see BOS-CDG again any time soon, and possibly BOS-HEL from AY...
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Our little airport is.. not so little anymore

Great to have these new additions. Great to see the nerd bird back to SJC! Never made any sense to me to cancel it, but I don't have the inside info, so..
JoeWoodstock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.