Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New AA Process: Bidding for First Class Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AA Process: Bidding for First Class Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nope, try again.
Only true within 60 minutes of departure.

"The automation reads the original segment, not the OS protect, so yes, agents can protect VOLS/INVOLS on virtually any flight(s) once within 60 minutes of departure of the original; the automation will not run then (or post-departure of original) when processing oversales." is what I'm hearing. Agents I was talking to were attempting to solicit volunteers and protect more than 60 minutes before departure.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard AA is a tire fire of an airline.

As I've been working out how exactly I want to bail on UA, I'm glad this thread can illustrate in detail how that is true.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

When I enquired about this (the OP,) didn't find much but was reminded that AA's use of "plusgrade" has come and gone a few times:

https://thepointsguy.com/2013/11/ame...upgrade-trial/

[Plusgrade] New Service -- Bid on an Upgrade [31 Mar 2013]

Originally Posted by donotblink
Only true within 60 minutes of departure.

"The automation reads the original segment, not the OS protect, so yes, agents can protect VOLS/INVOLS on virtually any flight(s) once within 60 minutes of departure of the original; the automation will not run then (or post-departure of original) when processing oversales." is what I'm hearing. Agents I was talking to were attempting to solicit volunteers and protect more than 60 minutes before departure.
You're not following what I'm saying.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink
.....where first class isn't fully booked and there's less people on the upgrade list than there are available seats, passengers can bid for a first class upgrade (i.e. offer an amount they would be willing to pay and AA could give those seats to the highest bidder)
Does this ever happen? On my flight Tuesday night from PHL to SAN there were 23 people on the upgrade list and nobody cleared. Maybe I’m flying routes that are loaded with elites but I never see short upgrade lists any more.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by seigex
I wanted to laugh at this, but then I became sad. I'm glad to hear they are offering jobs to out of work elderly folks though; they are really trying to give back to the community.
One of our big projects for an advanced COBOL class was an airline reservations system.
(I graduated from Illinois State Univ in 1988. After spending a lot of time learning mainframe COBOL, PL/1, 370 Assembler, etc, my first job out of college, was with IBM in Austin, TX to support UNIX, first while it was being developed for PS/2 and 370, and then for RS/6000 starting from pre-release. While on an IBM internship in college, I also did some coding for the AS/400 when it was under development in Rochester, MN. So, basically, I have never worked with the computer languages I learned in college. I was thinking about taking a refresher course in COBOL so I could help AA out
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k
Does this ever happen? On my flight Tuesday night from PHL to SAN there were 23 people on the upgrade list and nobody cleared. Maybe I’m flying routes that are loaded with elites but I never see short upgrade lists any more.
I've been on a few flights this year where there were still seats in F after the upgrade list cleared. It's the exception rather than the norm, but it does happen.
ijgordon, AA100k and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Just based upon my experience last friday and last June, dynamic rebooking and Auto Reaccom are a disaster. Yes a flight gets rebooked, no the flight doesnt get rebooked the same day you want to leave. Yes was in first, no didnt need to be in first, just needed to get there. Yes flew Allegiant, no have not received refund from AA yet for failed contract. Yes AA has 11 flights a day from AUS to DFW, No there weren't 2 seats available out of approximately 2035. Yes they blamed it on weather, no all the other airlines, including AA were flying. I never thought I would say this but Allegiant had their stuff together and AA didn't.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boerne
Just based upon my experience last friday and last June, dynamic rebooking and Auto Reaccom are a disaster. Yes a flight gets rebooked, no the flight doesnt get rebooked the same day you want to leave. Yes was in first, no didnt need to be in first, just needed to get there. Yes flew Allegiant, no have not received refund from AA yet for failed contract. Yes AA has 11 flights a day from AUS to DFW, No there weren't 2 seats available out of approximately 2035. Yes they blamed it on weather, no all the other airlines, including AA were flying. I never thought I would say this but Allegiant had their stuff together and AA didn't.
What you're talking is different than this (may be a very legitimate point, but a different subject), this is agent's doing this manually, and holding 2 flights at a time.

Yes, it's, mentioned that agent double-booking will exclude pax from those processes, so I see why you brought it up, etc

A bit more on what agents are up against:
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:54 am

What are "HMT" costs?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
One of our big projects for an advanced COBOL class was an airline reservations system.
(I graduated from Illinois State Univ in 1988. After spending a lot of time learning mainframe COBOL, PL/1, 370 Assembler, etc, my first job out of college, was with IBM in Austin, TX to support UNIX, first while it was being developed for PS/2 and 370, and then for RS/6000 starting from pre-release. While on an IBM internship in college, I also did some coding for the AS/400 when it was under development in Rochester, MN. So, basically, I have never worked with the computer languages I learned in college. I was thinking about taking a refresher course in COBOL so I could help AA out
Loved the reminiscing ...ive also worked with some of those technologies but u haven't heard about assembler and pl1 in a while.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
What are "HMT" costs?
Hotels meals and transportation.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Hotels meals and transportation.
Ahh; Thanks. I was trying to figure that out, thinking something like Human_Management or some HR related thing. Or a bizarre Handling cost for extra work for the agents. (grin)
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
They won't see it that way-- "preferring" you to buy refundable tickets. I wouldn't make a habit of it going forward, they were being polite this time and GS is a lot to risk.
Jon -- are you saying that UA (but my real question is about AA) is OK with overlapping booking to 2 different destinations if they were both booked as refundable?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ikwia
Jon -- are you saying that UA (but my real question is about AA) is OK with overlapping booking to 2 different destinations if they were both booked as refundable?
Definitely, definitely not. Rather, want you to buy refundable tickets and then change as needed, when that kind of flexibility is required.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ikwia
I'm almost 100% certain that if you read the Contract of Carriage, for either AA or UA or probably any airline, it specifically prohibits doing this. Refundable or not.
Of course buying a refundable ticket and then changing the destination will still probably cost more than buying a non-refundable ticket and paying the change fee. Twice.
Airlines systems will catch double-booked or "impossible" itineraries, and they may cancel one. This is usually run in a batch process periodically, so while you can make duplicate/overlapping reservations, you can't keep them for long...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.