Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New AA Process: Bidding for First Class Upgrades

Old Oct 18, 19, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite

I'm hearing from an American Airlines Airport Ground Staff Employee I'm friends with that some new options have appeared in Qik when checking in passengers. There's a yellow message that appears on some itineraries where first class isn't fully booked and there's less people on the upgrade list than there are available seats, passengers can bid for a first class upgrade (i.e. offer an amount they would be willing to pay and AA could give those seats to the highest bidder). The message says to look at notes added to the VCR, but apparently nothing appears there yet. Could be infrastructure that's being added to QiK that isn't fully live yet? Apparently there's nothing in Quick Reference regarding it. I was asked if I knew anything about it, and I don't. Hoping that if/when this gets fully implemented, it isn't used as a way to take upgrades away from elites.

Last edited by donotblink; Oct 18, 19 at 11:24 pm Reason: fixed a spelling error
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I'm hearing from an American Airlines Airport Ground Staff Employee I'm friends with that some new options have appeared in Qik when checking in passengers. There's a yellow message that appears on some itineraries where first class isn't fully booked and there's less people on the upgrade list than there are available seats, passengers can bid for a first class upgrade (i.e. offer an amount they would be willing to pay and AA could give those seats to the highest bidder). The massage says to look at notes added to the VCR, but apparently nothing appears there yet. Could be infrastructure that's being added to QiK that isn't fully live yet? Apparently there's nothing in Quick Reference regarding it. I was asked if I knew anything about it, and I don't. Hoping that if/when this gets fully implemented, it isn't used as a way to take upgrades away from elites.
Would seem that if the parts I bolded are true, it wouldn't have any effect on upgrades. This is something that lots of airlines do and have done for quite awhile, in fact Amex has many airlines they partner with to do something similar from what I've read in their emails though never tried it. I know that AS does this as does UA, though somewhat controversially with TODs and data points that suggest it has occurred despite upgrade requests. I'm guessing that AA finally found a COBOL dev to work this out for them and is just catching up, end of the day if they can get ancillary revenue for a seat that would otherwise be empty after all upgrades...it would be poor form to not do this.

ETA: you seem to have the inside line on a bunch of new policies...please do keep sharing
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
I'm guessing that AA finally found a COBOL dev to work this out for them and is just catching up, end of the day if they can get ancillary revenue for a seat that would otherwise be empty after all upgrades...it would be poor form to not do this.
I wanted to laugh at this, but then I became sad. I'm glad to hear they are offering jobs to out of work elderly folks though; they are really trying to give back to the community.
JDiver, ijgordon, ryan182 and 9 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
In the situation of AA having more seats in F available than there being upgrade request, you usually get a flat upgrade offer at check in. It seems the only change now is that you can possibly bid to upgrade. In the future I think you'll see everyone getting an upgrade offer after booking as you currently do with United.
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
ETA: you seem to have the inside line on a bunch of new policies...please do keep sharing
There's also a new policy that prevents agents from double booking or protecting a passenger on multiple flights, but I don't have enough info about who is impacted by it (e.x. just airport staff or also reservations), also I'm not sure if all elite passengers are impacted.
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
There's also a new policy that prevents agents from double booking or protecting a passenger on multiple flights, but I don't have enough info about who is impacted by it (e.x. just airport staff or also reservations), also I'm not sure if all elite passengers are impacted.
Ugh, that would be a crap development! I do hope they will still allow protection for EXPs at least...especially given how all the airlines have ratcheted up the spend requirement to reach top-tier (published) status, not allowing protection bookings when IRROPS are in play would be bad form!
Old Oct 19, 19, 1:49 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Ugh, that would be a crap development! I do hope they will still allow protection for EXPs at least...especially given how all the airlines have ratcheted up the spend requirement to reach top-tier (published) status, not allowing protection bookings when IRROPS are in play would be bad form!
AA has already said internally that EXP & CK are exempt from this.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have seen this on the last 2 trips booked on AA .
interesting on a side note. my ticket was around $300 rt,
AA wanted $1005 to upgrade OW... (only a short 600 mile trip)

I think you could have purchased the ticket in F for around $700
jmj9905 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
FWIW

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
AA has already said internally that EXP & CK are exempt from this.
A few nights back we were de-planed from a flight for last-minute MX... a might-or-might-not get fixed situation, layered with a need to get a new crew since the existing one would be almost sure to time-out.

In other words, a typical AA "flight."

While I was cooling my jets in the waiting area, I called the EXP line to see if they would hold me a place on the next night's flight, if and when this one got scrubbed and/or I decided to go home and get some sleep. The EXP agent said that they could not do this; I would have to ask the gate agent at the airport. Which I did. The agent kept trying to do this, but couldn't get the second (protected) reservation to "stick." Finally got out their cellphone and called I'm not sure whom, puzzled over the matter with them, until I'm-not-sure-whom seem to have okayed some sort of override.

Didn't think too much about this at the time -- could have been a glitch for any number of reasons -- but reading the above now gives me pause.
chitink likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:48 am
Suspended

The double booking thing:
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Titanium"
Re double booking: FWIW, I am a UAL Global Services member and in the last two weeks coincidentally I have received two calls from the MP service center saying one of my bookings will be cancelled and to call back or they might cancel the wrong one. In both cases, these double bookings were the result of not knowing to which destination I would need to travel on a specific day, rather than trying to be cute.
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy View Post
..In both cases, these double bookings were the result of not knowing to which destination I would need to travel on a specific day, rather than trying to be cute.
They won't see it that way-- "preferring" you to buy refundable tickets. I wouldn't make a habit of it going forward, they were being polite this time and GS is a lot to risk.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
The double booking thing:
Seems very reasonable other than in extraordinary circumstance.

If you are the passenger facing the possible misconnect you, of course, want to be protected on the later flight. If you are someone trying to book or change to that later flight and cannot because it is now fully booked (or overbooked), you hate double-protection.
Old Oct 19, 19, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

What JonNYC posted about the double booking policy not applying to oversells appears to not be be true. Iím heading itís causing problems when airport staff are trying to recruit volunteers for oversells and canít keep them on the flight they told them would be available when they volunteered.
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:09 pm
Suspended

What JonNYC posted about the double booking policy not applying to oversells..
Nope, try again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: