Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

As facts emerge about the mechanics of the Plusgrade system, please add them to this wiki.

• AA information from plusgrade.com website:
https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AmericanAirlines

• Terms and conditions from plusgrade.com website:
https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/...rvice?lang={0}

• Important statement of non-impact upon elite upgrades from above webpage:
Elite Status Members: AAdvantage elite status members (Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum members) should continue to request 500-mile upgrades (complimentary or purchased) as normal. This option is offered to passengers who aren't able to use 500-mile upgrades, either because they aren't AAdvantage members, or because they are traveling on fares that are not eligible. Rest assured that elite status member upgrade requests will continue to be given priority and will not be impacted by this program.
Print Wikipost

[Plusgrade] New Service -- Bid on an Upgrade [31 Mar 2013]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
[Plusgrade] New Service -- Bid on an Upgrade [31 Mar 2013]

I just received this email today for a ticket I bought for my mother-in-law to visit at Thanksgiving. It's an opportunity to bid in advance on flight upgrades. Likely targeted to non-elite members, but not sure.

An upgrade to First Class is easier than you think.

It's as simple as making us an offer.

We're excited to introduce a new service that lets you tell us how much an upgrade from Main Cabin is worth to you. Simply make an offer and we will email you before check-in to let you know whether your offer was accepted.

Not every flight qualifies for this new option, but fortunately for you, your upcoming flight is eligible!

If you're interested in upgrading from Main Cabin to First Class, just click here and send us your offer.

Thank you for flying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm Reason: add quote box
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Interesting... wonder what order this is processed in?

Fascinating concept though (although I hope it isn't like UA's TOD upgrades)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by 777Pax
I just received this email today for a ticket I bought for my mother-in-law to visit at Thanksgiving. It's an opportunity to bid in advance on flight upgrades. Likely targeted to non-elite members, but not sure.

An upgrade to First Class is easier than you think.

It's as simple as making us an offer.

We're excited to introduce a new service that lets you tell us how much an upgrade from Main Cabin is worth to you. Simply make an offer and we will email you before check-in to let you know whether your offer was accepted.

Not every flight qualifies for this new option, but fortunately for you, your upcoming flight is eligible!

If you're interested in upgrading from Main Cabin to First Class, just click here and send us your offer.

Thank you for flying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.
And so it begins.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Yikes... Would you be willing to provide info on the exact flight?
I'd be curious to see the actual loads.

Last edited by bdemaria; Nov 19, 2013 at 9:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
Interesting... wonder what order this is processed in?
Originally Posted by skunker
And so it begins.
"I've got a bad feeling about this."
' - H. Solo

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
This is not good for us FF folks at all! Some foreign carriers have been doing this for a little while. Basically, revenue management can look at any given flight, see what the offers are and clear those passengers ahead of those of us getting free or sticker upgrades if it's more revenue. Might initially seem appealing to AA, but I understand this is being tested on only select/limited routes for now. Upgrades are what keep me loyal to AA (often pay higher fares, as I know I will likely be upgraded), so if upgrades are being auctioned to the highest bidder, I might as well fly whoever is cheapest.

We should be writing customer relations with our concerns...

Last edited by bcm0830; Nov 19, 2013 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
If this is real it is very disturbing. I wonder what the minimum bid might be. I can see as an EXP getting no upgrade because someone else bid $5 to upgrade. $5 new revenue is better than giving it to me for free.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:59 am

I hope AA understands that loyalty isn't cheap, and they probably do have a minimum value that must be crossed to displace an EXP, and perhaps another to displace PLT, then GLD for upgrades.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bcm0830

We should be writing customer relations with our concerns...
Maybe. Since they already do something like this with LFBU (yes, you can look it up ), and this does not impact upgrades, it is quite possible that this will all happen after waitlisted elites have been processed, just as LFBU are. I agree that it's not a good omen, but early panic-monkeying is likely not necessary.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I hope AA understands that loyalty isn't cheap, and they probably do have a minimum value that must be crossed to displace an EXP, and perhaps another to displace PLT, then GLD for upgrades.
Assuming, of course, that they plan to displace anyone.

On the other hand. some per-emptive emails wouldn't hurt either

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by brp
Maybe. Since they already do something like this with LFBU (yes, you can look it up ), and this does not impact upgrades, it is quite possible that this will all happen after waitlisted elites have been processed, just as LFBU are. I agree that it's not a good omen, but early panic-monkeying is likely not necessary.
The OP mentions a ticket for visiting at Thanksgiving, so it's likely that this is a week or so out but the offer has already been made - before the 100 hour window opens. Of course, RM may have looked at how many upgrade requests have been made but many EXPs will buy tickets much closer in than 100 hours so not be on the list yet.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 777Pax
Simply make an offer and we will email you before check-in to let you know whether your offer was accepted.
This is the part that I find disturbing, considering how as of late, more and more upgrades (at least for me as a Plat) are being cleared after check-in, at the gate.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
First, AA gives away its entire domestic first class cabins by making mileage upgrade "A" bucket = ∞, now, the bean counters want to follow UA's foot steps and offer cheap bid upgrades?

AA bean counters, do your research and look at UA's numbers. You want to screw elites and offer TODs? That's the kind of numbers you will have.

Then, look at DL's numbers. DL does not allow any kind of upgrades for non-elites on discounted coach fares, miles or revenue. Elites are happy, DL makes more money.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
This would make AA the first North American participant in the "Plusgrade" upgrade scheme. At least one North American airline was said rumored to be partnering with the company earlier this year, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...coming-na.html

Other participants include Copa Airlines (very closely tied to UA/CO).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
First, AA gives away its entire domestic first class cabins by making mileage upgrade "A" bucket = ∞, now, the bean counters want to follow UA's foot steps and offer cheap bid upgrades?
You missed the bit about giving away elite status to every man and his dog just in case there weren't ten upgrade requests for each seat already.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
The OP mentions a ticket for visiting at Thanksgiving, so it's likely that this is a week or so out but the offer has already been made - before the 100 hour window opens. Of course, RM may have looked at how many upgrade requests have been made but many EXPs will buy tickets much closer in than 100 hours so not be on the list yet.
This is precisely why is it KEY that the OP post the specific flight details.

I've traveled often during T'giving (regular flight SJC-DFW-BOS, etc... not HNL or TATL [although one T'giving I flew home on a TATL w/just 5 people in J)

and there have almost always been empty F seats, its lots of families, award tickets, etc.. and X upgrades clear at 100 hrs, b/c Y is packed and many elites choose to avoid the fray.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.