Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by fotographer
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
This. Currently at a month all carry on. Doing 6 weeks next April. But prior to this date in September, I have been asked by the GA if I have checked bags. Perhaps the reason for the question has changed or been amplified. Also, it may reduce those times when AA baggage has to be delivered to home, which would also save a few bucks.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
This. Currently at a month all carry on. Doing 6 weeks next April. But prior to this date in September, I have been asked by the GA if I have checked bags. Perhaps the reason for the question has changed or been amplified. Also, it may reduce those times when AA baggage has to be delivered to home, which would also save a few bucks.
now that is impressive...
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have always assumed you couldn't switch flights if the bag were already checked. Not sure what the point would be if you have to wait for the bag at the other end anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
I have always assumed you couldn't switch flights if the bag were already checked. Not sure what the point would be if you have to wait for the bag at the other end anyway.
Delays. Sometimes I proactively SDFC when I know a delay is coming and AA isnt posting it. Better to be somewhere and come back for my bag then be stuck in an airport without my bags anyways.

I'm unclear what problem AA is solving here.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I can’t remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesn’t fit in my rollerboard it doesn’t go.
Originally Posted by fotographer
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
You’re all very special.

But if AA can’t even get “correctly” tagged bags to the destination on time, of course it makes sense that they don’t want to have to deal with electronic re-tagging. So they just take away the customer choice instead.
ExpatExp and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Pretty sure I was turned down on SDFC after having checked a bag a few times over the years. I'm not sure this is new.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You’re all very special.
Yeah, this is up there with "I'm a vegan" and "I don't watch TV".
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I must be the rare person who checks a bag and cannot remember the last time it was waylaid. Certainly not in my 76 segments on AA this year, and I don't recall any issues last year on similar numbers. I'm often on two connection trips, with RJs on one or both ends. The bag will be on the hold anyway, so why should I bother schlepping it around the airport.

I've also done same day confirmed changes and standby with checked bags, and my bags have made it onto the new flights all but one time in the past couple of years.

I'd much rather go back to the airport the next day (15 min from work) than wait for hours for a long connection or delayed flight. Seems like that will no longer be an option for me.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbender
I must be the rare person who checks a bag and cannot remember the last time it was waylaid. Certainly not in my 76 segments on AA this year, and I don't recall any issues last year on similar numbers. I'm often on two connection trips, with RJs on one or both ends. The bag will be on the hold anyway, so why should I bother schlepping it around the airport.
Exactly - why schlep it around the airport (and through TSA) when you can have someone else do it for you?! We've been checking carry-on sized suitcases on DL recently, just for the heck of it. Their baggage service is reliable and FAST (usually out or about to come out on the carousel by the time you get there). Takes a lot of stress about boarding time - since we're only using under-seat space, we can just saunter onboard whenever it's convenient).

My husband and I have probably only had 4 delayed luggage instances in 10+ years, and two were on AA (where both of our bags didn't make our connecting flight, for no good reason other than incompetance in DFW). I suppose one could look at the DOT stats to see whether AA is really worse than other carriers. Your 76 segments don't really mean a whole lot. (Neither do our 4 experiences, to be fair! )
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Post still allowed

update:
PTahCha, GUWonder, cbender and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ryan182
OK this might be the one situation where I'd think they SHOULD allow you do to SDFC/SDSB, regardless of status, given you bag is in your possession and not in the bowls of the airport and you're literally at a bag check desk where changing the tag to the new flight is basically zero effort. wonder if this policy change includes re-check after international flights as well?
In theory, you can't SDFC/SDSB a domestic flight in connection with an international itinerary (excluding the Caribbean and Canada). However, if it needs to be done, the agent needs to cancel the old tag, rebook you, and add a new tag with new flight information.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I had no idea this was even an option. I always assumed if a bag was checked, you couldn't standby for other flights. (Why would anyone want to do this? Having your bag arrive on a different flight?)
Just a few months ago, UA allowed my travel party to fly standby with checked luggage. DL allowed me to do the same last year. It’s been a while since I’ve flown standby on AA, and most of my AA trips are carry-on-only, but I recall some AA reps also had a practice of allowing some people to fly standby with checked luggage if notifying the check-in rep of flying standby in 2017 at least.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

the latest on SDS:
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If I think I am going to standby for an earlier flight, its best to do so at the check in desk so that the bag can be tagged for the earliest flights. Heck most of the time lately my bag is still beating me to my destination anyways when being checked normally.

I think for the hub to hub flights they just load every bag going to DFW or ORD etc regardless of which one it is supposed to be on haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.