Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

Old Oct 18, 19, 9:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,875
Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

I didn't see this posted previously and wanted to send it out as a PSA, as of September 5th last month, a new policy went into place where elites can no longer do a same day standby or same day flight change if they've already checked bags. Previously, QIK would allow SDFC or SDSB even if bags were checked for elites. I believe this doesn't appear anywhere on aa.com, just on JetNet's quick reference guide (which, to be clear, I do not have direct access to).

MODERATOR NOTE

As JonNYC has clarified below, we’re closing this thread. The original posting is a false alarm caused by AA failing to provide definitive and clear guidance to employees.

The full thread on SDFC / Same Day Flight Change is Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

The full thread on SDSB / Same Day Standby is Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 1, 19 at 11:02 am Reason: Insert Moderator note
donotblink is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I didn't see this posted previously and wanted to send it out as a PSA, as of September 5th last month, a new policy went into place where elites can no longer do a same day standby or same day flight change if they've already checked bags. Previously, QIK would allow SDFC or SDSB even if bags were checked for elites. I believe this doesn't appear anywhere on aa.com, just on JetNet's quick reference guide (which, to be clear, I do not have direct access to).
I can at least verify my wife experienced this in person this month. Luckily she carried-on. When she approached a gate agent to try to hop onboard via standby and about 2 hours before her original flight, the first question the GA asked was "did you check a bag?" Wife replied "no" and the GA replied "good, I can get you on this flight." While I had assumed this was for security (airlines don't want pax flying on other aircraft than where there bag is in the hold from my understanding), even my wife gave me call to ask if this was normal. I gave her the "it is likely a security precaution" explanation.

While this isn't an explanation of processes/protocols/procedures I can at least speak about her experience. She is Platinum.
GlobalMatt is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,050
I always assumed that checked bag meant no standby, then again I check a bag only on vacations where I have dive gear or trips to see family where I need by bottles of tolerance (aka lots of wine and booze). Seems sensible as most of the time you're SDC/SDSB for an earlier flight and fetching the bags could be difficult at some airports/risk you land and your bag is on the original flight
ryan182 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 53
They only time I ever went SDFC with a checked bag was coming back through customs and asking for a SDFC at the transfer desk and retagging. In the past, GAs usually said no to standby with a checked bag. I don't have any problem with this policy.
chris8796 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,050
Originally Posted by chris8796 View Post
They only time I ever went SDFC with a checked bag was coming back through customs and asking for a SDFC at the transfer desk and retagging. .
OK this might be the one situation where I'd think they SHOULD allow you do to SDFC/SDSB, regardless of status, given you bag is in your possession and not in the bowls of the airport and you're literally at a bag check desk where changing the tag to the new flight is basically zero effort. wonder if this policy change includes re-check after international flights as well?
ryan182 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:26 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,875
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
OK this might be the one situation where I'd think they SHOULD allow you do to SDFC/SDSB, regardless of status, given you bag is in your possession and not in the bowls of the airport and you're literally at a bag check desk where changing the tag to the new flight is basically zero effort. wonder if this policy change includes re-check after international flights as well?
This is a really good question, I don't know the answer.
donotblink is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:21 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,345
I canít remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesnít fit in my rollerboard it doesnít go.
miles4CDG likes this.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:04 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,803
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I canít remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesnít fit in my rollerboard it doesnít go.
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
fotographer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,445
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I canít remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesnít fit in my rollerboard it doesnít go.
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
Although I agree in principle, there are times when I need to transport liquids and the like as gifts for family and friends, so it requires checking in at least a bag. But I have never thought to try for a SDFC etc. if I had a checked bag. I would have thought this was always the rule..
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:52 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,435
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt View Post
While I had assumed this was for security (airlines don't want pax flying on other aircraft than where there bag is in the hold from my understanding), even my wife gave me call to ask if this was normal. I gave her the "it is likely a security precaution" explanation.

While this isn't an explanation of processes/protocols/procedures I can at least speak about her experience. She is Platinum.
It is not likely a security precaution. There is no positive bag matching for domestic flights. You can check a bag and then not get on the plane, and the bag will fly without you.
Spiff, GUWonder and Antarius like this.
javabytes is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MIA
Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Posts: 903
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
There is no positive bag matching for domestic flights. You can check a bag and then not get on the plane, and the bag will fly without you.
This.

Another "going for great" policy!
saltytheseagull is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,642
I had no idea this was even an option. I always assumed if a bag was checked, you couldn't standby for other flights. (Why would anyone want to do this? Having your bag arrive on a different flight?)
Beachfun71 likes this.
USFlyerUS is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:07 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Posts: 1,474
This must be recent. I've definitely done SDS with checked bag. When you go on the standby list, the system attempts to re-route your bag onto the new flight (regardless of whether you get on). It's all electronic so there's no need to physically "re-tag" the bag. I have done this as recently as winter 2019 at ORD and my bag made it onto the standby flight but I didn't (despite the agent's prediction of the opposite).
wetrat0 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Posts: 195
You can still check a bag with SDS, you just canít SDS if the bag is already checked on the original flight.

I do this somewhat often and have continued to be able to do so. Ask the check in agent for standby first, and the tag should automatically be for the standby flight.

This of course is all for standby on an earlier flight.

I find this to be nice, since if you donít make standby you can usually just skip the baggage claim and head straight to the baggage service office to retrieve your bags.
ORD-DCA Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 12:49 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SE Wisconsin
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
I had no idea this was even an option. I always assumed if a bag was checked, you couldn't standby for other flights. (Why would anyone want to do this? Having your bag arrive on a different flight?)
Agree.
Beachfun71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: