Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elites no longer allowed to SDFC or SDSB if bags are checked. (false alarm)

Old Oct 18, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I didn't see this posted previously and wanted to send it out as a PSA, as of September 5th last month, a new policy went into place where elites can no longer do a same day standby or same day flight change if they've already checked bags. Previously, QIK would allow SDFC or SDSB even if bags were checked for elites. I believe this doesn't appear anywhere on aa.com, just on JetNet's quick reference guide (which, to be clear, I do not have direct access to).

MODERATOR NOTE

As JonNYC has clarified below, we’re closing this thread. The original posting is a false alarm caused by AA failing to provide definitive and clear guidance to employees.

The full thread on SDFC / Same Day Flight Change is Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

The full thread on SDSB / Same Day Standby is Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 1, 19 at 11:02 am Reason: Insert Moderator note
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I didn't see this posted previously and wanted to send it out as a PSA, as of September 5th last month, a new policy went into place where elites can no longer do a same day standby or same day flight change if they've already checked bags. Previously, QIK would allow SDFC or SDSB even if bags were checked for elites. I believe this doesn't appear anywhere on aa.com, just on JetNet's quick reference guide (which, to be clear, I do not have direct access to).
I can at least verify my wife experienced this in person this month. Luckily she carried-on. When she approached a gate agent to try to hop onboard via standby and about 2 hours before her original flight, the first question the GA asked was "did you check a bag?" Wife replied "no" and the GA replied "good, I can get you on this flight." While I had assumed this was for security (airlines don't want pax flying on other aircraft than where there bag is in the hold from my understanding), even my wife gave me call to ask if this was normal. I gave her the "it is likely a security precaution" explanation.

While this isn't an explanation of processes/protocols/procedures I can at least speak about her experience. She is Platinum.
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I always assumed that checked bag meant no standby, then again I check a bag only on vacations where I have dive gear or trips to see family where I need by bottles of tolerance (aka lots of wine and booze). Seems sensible as most of the time you're SDC/SDSB for an earlier flight and fetching the bags could be difficult at some airports/risk you land and your bag is on the original flight
Old Oct 18, 19, 10:20 pm

They only time I ever went SDFC with a checked bag was coming back through customs and asking for a SDFC at the transfer desk and retagging. In the past, GAs usually said no to standby with a checked bag. I don't have any problem with this policy.
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chris8796 View Post
They only time I ever went SDFC with a checked bag was coming back through customs and asking for a SDFC at the transfer desk and retagging. .
OK this might be the one situation where I'd think they SHOULD allow you do to SDFC/SDSB, regardless of status, given you bag is in your possession and not in the bowls of the airport and you're literally at a bag check desk where changing the tag to the new flight is basically zero effort. wonder if this policy change includes re-check after international flights as well?
Old Oct 18, 19, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
OK this might be the one situation where I'd think they SHOULD allow you do to SDFC/SDSB, regardless of status, given you bag is in your possession and not in the bowls of the airport and you're literally at a bag check desk where changing the tag to the new flight is basically zero effort. wonder if this policy change includes re-check after international flights as well?
This is a really good question, I don't know the answer.
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I canít remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesnít fit in my rollerboard it doesnít go.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I canít remember the last time I checked a bag....if it doesnít fit in my rollerboard it doesnít go.
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
you and me both (along with my wife)
The trip can be for a weekend or 10 days .. we will never check a bag , unless of course a agent insists it wont fit in the overhead , even though we arrived on the same plane.
Although I agree in principle, there are times when I need to transport liquids and the like as gifts for family and friends, so it requires checking in at least a bag. But I have never thought to try for a SDFC etc. if I had a checked bag. I would have thought this was always the rule..
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt View Post
While I had assumed this was for security (airlines don't want pax flying on other aircraft than where there bag is in the hold from my understanding), even my wife gave me call to ask if this was normal. I gave her the "it is likely a security precaution" explanation.

While this isn't an explanation of processes/protocols/procedures I can at least speak about her experience. She is Platinum.
It is not likely a security precaution. There is no positive bag matching for domestic flights. You can check a bag and then not get on the plane, and the bag will fly without you.
Spiff, GUWonder and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
There is no positive bag matching for domestic flights. You can check a bag and then not get on the plane, and the bag will fly without you.
This.

Another "going for great" policy!
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I had no idea this was even an option. I always assumed if a bag was checked, you couldn't standby for other flights. (Why would anyone want to do this? Having your bag arrive on a different flight?)
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
This must be recent. I've definitely done SDS with checked bag. When you go on the standby list, the system attempts to re-route your bag onto the new flight (regardless of whether you get on). It's all electronic so there's no need to physically "re-tag" the bag. I have done this as recently as winter 2019 at ORD and my bag made it onto the standby flight but I didn't (despite the agent's prediction of the opposite).
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
You can still check a bag with SDS, you just canít SDS if the bag is already checked on the original flight.

I do this somewhat often and have continued to be able to do so. Ask the check in agent for standby first, and the tag should automatically be for the standby flight.

This of course is all for standby on an earlier flight.

I find this to be nice, since if you donít make standby you can usually just skip the baggage claim and head straight to the baggage service office to retrieve your bags.
Old Oct 19, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
I had no idea this was even an option. I always assumed if a bag was checked, you couldn't standby for other flights. (Why would anyone want to do this? Having your bag arrive on a different flight?)
Agree.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: