Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by aschuett
On an LAX-AUS yesterday the FAs started talking about this. Key points to them was that a duty free bag even a bag of food would be considered a personal item, and FAA requested they start enforcement. This sounds like it’s going to be a mess. I know in some flights it seems over half of folks bring a bag of food and wouldn’t be happy if that counted as a personal item.
This doesn't sound like the audit focus is carry-on size though, more so number of bags.

It's still seems super easy for two people traveling together, or even a family traveling with kids, to circumvent intent if the number of carry-ons is the issue, and not overhead bag size. (More often a person with an empty hand, or a hand that can be empty, for extra bags to make it through boarding.)

In contrast, as a traveler solo, this pretty much does away with my ability to pick up a special bottle of something on a trip in the duty free store, or grab that last minute gift at the airport. Unless I've allowed space for "maybe/discretionary" purchases in my carry-on (which will pretty much never happen). Generally, a duty free bag has been allowed on in addition to the allotment. Again, not really able to abuse as a solo traveler, because, well - one person can only carry so much reasonably. I guess I can understand the problem though if every family member carried through an extra duty free bag every flight. It's not something I've noticed standing out as a big problem or area of abuse though.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
<redacted previously deleted post content >

OK.

Let's try, "people with sufficient mental faculties to understand the concept of the dimensions of an object, the nature of the carry-on policy, and who then make a conscious decision to flout the policy."

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 20, 2019 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by enviroian
That’s great. Let them eat that smelly greasy food out in the concourse rather than stink up a tin tube with 150 people in it.
True, there are enough of those. I’ll agree on that point! But what about people who just want a couple bottles of water or maybe a cold sandwich to replace the lackluster meal or in manny cases complete lack of food provided by the airline? Some people are on too tight a schedule or don’t have a choice. I’ve been there myself.

Plus you KNOW some people have enough room in their personal item like purses or backpacks to just slide that greasy burger right in during boarding 😉
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by aschuett

Plus you KNOW some people have enough room in their personal item like purses or backpacks to just slide that greasy burger right in during boarding 😉
EWH! I could've lived without that visual all day. LoL.

But so unfortunately true.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?
iskingolf, wrp96, eglise and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AS 75K
With many backpacks and bags having various straps and ties I imagine people will just start "chaining" all their handheld things together and claim it's a single item if/when enforcement comes down the line. I personally don't really care how many things people have. To me it's more the size problem. Taking up more than their share in overhead bins and most annoyingly, taking forever to gather all their crap and get off the plane.

I recently saw a young outdoorsy looking girl with a standard rectangle carry-on, a large purse and a hiker's backpack large enough to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (the kind with a large metal frame). She clogged up the aisle for 3+ minutes trying to wrestle all her things out of the bins then kept getting stuck on the seats while walking up the aisle. This is the type of thing is what needs to be stopped.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had no idea the FAA regulated carry on bags except for items like liquids, which the TSA enforces, and mandating that everything fits fully under the seat or in an overhead. What are the specific regulations about size? I can't find any searching online. If a carry on bag won't fit then it can't stay in the cabin. And whether a specific bag will fit can vary among aircraft types. I can understand the airline itself wanting to control sizes to ensure a smooth boarding process but I confess I don't understand the whole FAA audit thing.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
I had no idea the FAA regulated carry on bags except for items like liquids, which the TSA enforces, and mandating that everything fits fully under the seat or in an overhead. What are the specific regulations about size? I can't find any searching online. If a carry on bag won't fit then it can't stay in the cabin. And whether a specific bag will fit can vary among aircraft types. I can understand the airline itself wanting to control sizes to ensure a smooth boarding process but I confess I don't understand the whole FAA audit thing.
Seems confusing to me as well since airlines have different policies on carryon size. Maybe the compliance is not size related but number of items or items stacked on top of each other in bins?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

It is a bit more nuanced. It is up to the carrier, AA in this case, to create a policy dealing with safety & security. That policy is then filed with the FAA and it becomes a violation of FAA rules for the carrier to fail to enforce its own policy. Among the items which the policy must cover are carry on limits.

Thus, different carriers may have different policies, but the FAA concern is that each carrier enforce its own policy. The same for other items such as whether passengers on domestic flights may move between cabins.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
Sorry but this bit is just nonsense, they are not doing this to get more bag fees (AA gate checks for free) or to make it such that you can only travel with a carry on that goes under the seat vs OHB unless you pay more - IOW not at all like Spirit. They are doing this because...well they have to! If you're an airline and the FAA, who is the primary regulatory body that governs your business, tells you that you need to step up your compliance...logic and reason dictate you comply as the ramifications of not doing so can be significant.
Either the FAA suddenly started caring after a decade (which I doubt as the other airlines are doing this suddenly either) or the FAA has nothing to do with it (likely).

AA has not been in compliance for decades. So the FAA, while technically in charge of this - doesnt care.

I'm all in favor of increased enforcement. But I'm also in favor of reviewing the rules to ones that make sense. Compliance is achieved with better enforcement AND buy in. Otherwise we have rampant successes like prohibition and 50 mph freeway speed limits.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ikwia
I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?
You are correct. There used to be such a list. It's gone. With the exception of disability aids, 2 items means 2.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are correct. There used to be such a list. It's gone. With the exception of disability aids, 2 items means 2.
That's OK. If the enforcement becomes ridiculous, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see "emotional support item" waivers.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What happens is the FAA requires airlines have rules relating to cabin baggage. Once an airline files those and the FAA approves them, the FAA requires the airlines enforce them. If they don’t, they can get dinged. This is a result of uneven enforcement.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Often1
Ok, I’m relieved I’m not going crazy

I think that this change should be prominently advertised...people who have been traveling for years with a bag of food or something like that and suddenly get denied are going to be annoyed, and I admit I will empathize with them since the change is not well advertised (imho).
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm ok with them being strict on # of luggage items. But a bag of food? Something that you carry on, but will not carry off? Come on.
Also, don't argue over 1/4 inch on a bag. My bag has flex for a reason, based on how much I need to pack for a trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.