FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Antarius
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
Sorry but this bit is just nonsense, they are not doing this to get more bag fees (AA gate checks for free) or to make it such that you can only travel with a carry on that goes under the seat vs OHB unless you pay more - IOW not at all like Spirit. They are doing this because...well they have to! If you're an airline and the FAA, who is the primary regulatory body that governs your business, tells you that you need to step up your compliance...logic and reason dictate you comply as the ramifications of not doing so can be significant.
Either the FAA suddenly started caring after a decade (which I doubt as the other airlines are doing this suddenly either) or the FAA has nothing to do with it (likely).

AA has not been in compliance for decades. So the FAA, while technically in charge of this - doesnt care.

I'm all in favor of increased enforcement. But I'm also in favor of reviewing the rules to ones that make sense. Compliance is achieved with better enforcement AND buy in. Otherwise we have rampant successes like prohibition and 50 mph freeway speed limits.