Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by fredc84
Which is why I responded to your comment that the closed ones didn't affect your score...they are still there even though showing closed, they contribute to your score.
Yes, they'll contribute to your average age of accounts until they fall off the report after 10 years. Where it could affect things is for someone who's carrying a balance where utilization of available credit would increase.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by rtkane
No, they do it automatically. I know the day I hit the threshold because I happened to log in the day it was at something like $25,200 of spend. When I went into my AA profile showing "your activity", it says it was posted to AA on 8/8. I'd been checking pretty much daily to see if it was going to change my status and it didn't change to Platinum Pro until 8/10 (unless maybe I just missed checking on 8/9 and checked too early on 8/8).
Thank you for your response. I normally have no way of knowing unless I downloaded the transaction history from 1/1 and run a pivot table on Excel...but I happened to have the same experience as you, as I logged on couple days ago and found out it was met. AA profile remains the same though.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I had 3 PLT cards and cancelled them all after I transferred as much of my credit line I could to my citi executive card. Cancelling those cards did not effect my credit scores at all.
Cancelled credit cards stay on your report for 10 years, I believe.
Canceled cards stay for "up to" seven years. Whether or not they affect one's credit score is dependent on other factors, too. If a cardholder closes an account with a zero balance and has otherwise excellent credit, it's unlikely to have any impact on their score.

The one thing that may be an exception to the above is the duration of the open account. If it is among the longest-held accounts, and credit score is an important factor to the person making the change, it could negatively affect the score.

These are easily researched actions that will change one's credit score, but there are surely many others that are unpublished. Some change that I have seen in my personal credit rating (including FICO, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) are unattributable to any changes that I see anywhere.

This is based on my 17 years of post-divorce destruction and resulting rebuilding of my once again excellent rating.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Are there any DPs of individuals churning this card yet? I got this card ~4 months ago (never had a previous version of this card), and am wondering if I should be able to cancel it / re-apply around the 6 months mark. Does anyone know if it's best to cancel it first, keep it ad re-apply, lower credit limit first, etc?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by morphogencc
Are there any DPs of individuals churning this card yet? I got this card ~4 months ago (never had a previous version of this card), and am wondering if I should be able to cancel it / re-apply around the 6 months mark. Does anyone know if it's best to cancel it first, keep it ad re-apply, lower credit limit first, etc?
Nope....from the T&C's:

"Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer."
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
delete -- ninja'd
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Nope....from the T&C's:

"Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer."
My understanding was that this language has always been present in the T&C, but has never been enforced. Has this changed in the last few months?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This card has existed for over two years (initially only as a conversion from the US Airways card). There are plenty of DPs of individuals who had the card from 2+ years ago churning this card successfully.

What has existed for a lot less time is actual applications for this card (only since December), and there are not yet much in datapoints of people trying to churn it that fast.

In other words, the whole question is not whether this card (or any other card for that matter) "can be churned", it's how quickly it can be churned.

Back when this was a US Airways card, I got denied reapplying after 3 months but approved reapplying about 8 months or whatever. So the longer you wait, the better your chances. Whether there is a fixed minimum time to wait, or whether it's YMMV, that's the big question right now. (Obviously, 2+ years is long enough, but obviously since applications for this card didn't exist yet 1 year ago there are zero datapoints possible for one year churning right now.)

Also, you're not in the best thread for datapoints on churning this card. This thread is mostly for people who already have the card and about its benefits/etc. The main thread about applying for this card is here:

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
My understanding was that this language has always been present in the T&C, but has never been enforced. Has this changed in the last few months?
I just finished reading the thread that SDsearch referenced and so far no one has gotten a 2nd AA aviator after getting one since Dec '16. The only people getting a 2nd card and miles are those with old converted cards from USAir. (Kind of like the W/WE conversion on the Citi cards a while back.) The poster I was responding to was asking in reference to the new iteration of this card who's T&C's I quoted. 'Maybe' it will be churnable, but we have no data points on that yet, but if they uphold the 24 month language....
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:36 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Statement shows a mystery entry: "Annual Fee Credit" $95.

Snail-mail letter explains that some of their marketing materials may have implied no annual fee, and that was a misprint, and there really is an annual fee, but just to make sure everyone's happy, they're refunding the annual fee.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:31 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dstan
Mrs. dstan has had her Red card since Feb and still no Silver upgrade offer
Update: Mrs. dstan called today to check (at my insistence) and was told that the Silver upgrade offer was now available to her. Agent confirmed that YTD spend would count toward EQM/EQD (as expected based on previous reports here). She had previously been told she would receive an email offer when available, but never did, so if you are waiting for yours, suggest being proactive!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Two questions:
Yesterday, my wife clicked on the upgrade button and confirmed we wanted to upgrade the annual fee.
1. Was there any confirmation this happened for the rest of you? Secure message, email confirmation, anything? 24 hours later there was nothing to me yet.
2. Once upgraded, if you were past your $25,000 spend for the year did they back date the EQMs? (or is it $20k AFTER upgrade)?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EP
They send a confirmation with the appropriate disclosures in a well or so. You should not see the upgrade option any more online.

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Two questions:
Yesterday, my wife clicked on the upgrade button and confirmed we wanted to upgrade the annual fee.
1. Was there any confirmation this happened for the rest of you? Secure message, email confirmation, anything? 24 hours later there was nothing to me yet.
2. Once upgraded, if you were past your $25,000 spend for the year did they back date the EQMs? (or is it $20k AFTER upgrade)?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
If I'm at $20k spend on the Red and plan on converting to the Silver, does it make a difference if I convert now or wait until after I cross $30k? If I have the red, cross $30k, get the $100 certificate, do I not get the companion certificate benefit for the Silver at $30k spend? Or can one get both benefits if I don't convert to the Silver until after I've crossed $30k on the Red?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Thanks AAExecPlatFlier. I sent a secure message to customer service, and they relayed the same information back to me, that I was confirmed, they just do not update my website until the card is sent to me. At least now I have a record of my acceptance.

Second question from above is still open though... can anyone confirm if the 25k already spend on red will count toward EQMs or do I have to get busy again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.