Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by aztimm
I received both offers.

Does anyone know how long the $3k EQD takes to hit your AA account after you spend $25k? Similar to the EQM?
Mine hit on the next statement day, posted together with the RDM.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I received both offers.

Does anyone know how long the $3k EQD takes to hit your AA account after you spend $25k? Similar to the EQM?
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Can't say for sure, but the last threshold offer that I took them up on had the miles hitting AA about one statement cycle after the promo period ended. My statement closes mid-month, so the last month of the promo spanned two statements. Once the statement covering the last part of the promo was paid, the miles hit AA just as the next statement closed. That is, say my promo period ended in March. There would be statements on March 15, April 15, and June 15. Once the April 15 statement was paid, miles appeared.
Originally Posted by ckendall
Maybe it was the time of the month for me [eg where I was in the billing cycle] but the EQD seemed to take about 10 days versus just a few for the EQM.
Originally Posted by sailor279
Each of the $3k EQDs I earned this year (once in June and another in Aug) took no more than 15 days to post from reaching the spend threshold to posting on my AA account. Monitor it online.
Just to update... My Sep statement closed last week. Everyday miles posted to my AA account on 10/3.
The $3,000 EQD posted today. ^
(That may put me ahead in the queue for my next flights).

Originally Posted by JY1024
Just curious - where would one find these offers if you were targeted? Along the right margin? Via email? Specific section on the website?
My answer--all of the above.

They sent me emails, I get messages when I log in online, and for these offers they even sent me regular US Mail (I think one was a postcard).

It really is hit or miss though. For some past offers it might only be an email.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I have 2 Silver Elite Aviator cards. After reaching the $20,000 threshold and earning the 5,000 EQM's for one card, I switched to the second card. I hit the $20,000 spending threshold for this other card and Barclays reported my entitlement to 5,000 more EQM's in August. This should give me my total of 10,000 EQM's from Barclays for 2107. Interestingly, my AA activity account reflects an entry for "AVIATOR MC 5000" on August 8 but does not include the 5,000 EQM's in the applicable column. Instead, this line item merely reflects 1 base mile and 1 total mile.

I contacted AA numerous times since September 21, 2017, about the missing EQM's and each time until today I was told that this will be taken care of within the next few days. I called again today and spoke with a supervisor and she advised that I can only earn EQM's on one Silver Elite card. I asked her what that viewpoint was based on. She said that it is somewhere in the agreement. I went to the AA AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MC Reward Rules and it does not say anything to that effect. While not a paragon of clarity, the rules seem to indicate that you can earn on more than one card. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed from here? It seems to me that the people working for the AAdvantage desk do not really have a handle on this.

contacted AAS
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkr529
...I called again today and spoke with a supervisor and she advised that I can only earn EQM's on one Silver Elite card.
Last I checked, that was the official position, I believe.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
... I switched to the second card. ...
Why did you switch?

You can earn 5,000 EQM when you spend $20k, and another 5,000 EQM when you hit the $40k amount for the year. So that would give you a total of 10,000 EQM, for one card.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:15 am
Suspended

Why did you switch?

You can earn 5,000 EQM when you spend $20k, and another 5,000 EQM when you hit the $40k amount for the year. So that would give you a total of 10,000 EQM, for one card.
In some cases (not saying it's the case here) some might do that to trigger a second sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:34 am

I use two cards so I can reach the $30,000 spending level for each card to earn a companion certificate for each card. In 2016, I earned 5,000 EQM's on each card. Furthermore, the rules do not set forth any such limitation. The rules just limit the total amount to 10,000 EQM's.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have 2 Silver Elite Aviator cards. After reaching the $20,000 threshold and earning the 5,000 EQM's for one card, I switched to the second card. I hit the $20,000 spending threshold for this other card and Barclays reported my entitlement to 5,000 more EQM's in August. This should give me my total of 10,000 EQM's from Barclays for 2107. Interestingly, my AA activity account reflects an entry for "AVIATOR MC 5000" on August 8 but does not include the 5,000 EQM's in the applicable column. Instead, this line item merely reflects 1 base mile and 1 total mile.

I contacted AA numerous times since September 21, 2017, about the missing EQM's and each time until today I was told that this will be taken care of within the next few days. I called again today and spoke with a supervisor and she advised that I can only earn EQM's on one Silver Elite card. I asked her what that viewpoint was based on. She said that it is somewhere in the agreement. I went to the AA AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MC Reward Rules and it does not say anything to that effect. While not a paragon of clarity, the rules seem to indicate that you can earn on more than one card. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed from here? It seems to me that the people working for the AAdvantage desk do not really have a handle on this.

contacted AAS
Doesn't work that way, you only get EQMs from one card, doesn't matter how many cards you have (unless second card is in your wife's/spouses name).. Not too sure about the Companion Pass.

This is why people have the Silver Card AND the Citi Exc card this way you can get double EQms. The Bloggers went over this about 2 yrs ago.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Last I checked, that was the official position, I believe.
^

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:47 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:45 am

I received my 5,000 EQM's based on spending from my second card. I finally spoke with an AA employee who understood the AA AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MC Reward Rules. To clarify, you can have two Silver Elite cards and earn 5,000 EQM's on both but that is the maximum you can earn for that year. Any AA employee who tells you otherwise has not read the Rules or if they have, they do not understand them.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I received my 5,000 EQM's based on spending from my second card. I finally spoke with an AA employee who understood the AA AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MC Reward Rules. To clarify, you can have two Silver Elite cards and earn 5,000 EQM's on both but that is the maximum you can earn for that year. Any AA employee who tells you otherwise has not read the Rules or if they have, they do not understand them.
Why would you want two cards unless you want the Campion pass? I'll take the Exc card over a second Silver card, this way I get 20,000 EQMs and access to lounges.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:07 am

Exactly, no matter how many cards you have they are tied into the Primary person’s AA account and can only amass 10,000 EQM a calendar year.

The sticky at the very top explains it all. I don’t think people read the
rules explained there.

Last edited by hitherandyon; Oct 18, 2017 at 7:08 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I recently upgraded from Red to Silver. Does ALL of my spend (the sum of spend in my now-former Red card AND in my new Silver card) in 2017 count towards my total 2017 AAdv EQM and EQD thresholds? Or, just my spend in my Silver card (and therefore my small amount of prior 2017 spend on my Red card doesn't count towards any spend minimums)? Anyone found language on the BC website to confirm?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Suggest u go to the barclay’s website and go under award benefits (something like that) and there is a counter towards ur EQMs and the companion certificate.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I recently upgraded from Red to Silver. Does ALL of my spend (the sum of spend in my now-former Red card AND in my new Silver card) in 2017 count towards my total 2017 AAdv EQM and EQD thresholds? Or, just my spend in my Silver card (and therefore my small amount of prior 2017 spend on my Red card doesn't count towards any spend minimums)? Anyone found language on the BC website to confirm?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Suggest u go to the barclay’s website and go under award benefits (something like that) and there is a counter towards ur EQMs and the companion certificate.
I have the Red card and I know there used to be a progress bar towards the $100 discount at $30,000 in annual spend but I can't see it any longer. Is it hiding somewhere else?

The reason I ask is that I don't think I've had my $100 discount certificate from last year's spend yet. I know you're supposed to get a letter 6-8 weeks after your account anniversary which for me is supposed to be April time. I have my letter from last year for 2015's spend and I made a note I used it in September so I should certainly have it by now.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why would you want two cards unless you want the Campion pass? I'll take the Exc card over a second Silver card, this way I get 20,000 EQMs and access to lounges.
It is for the second companion certificate. The $195 annual fee works for me since I bring two companions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.