Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Archive Of ORIGINAL AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard

FOR CURRENT THREAD SEE HERE.

NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

Both cards will offer spend offsets to the required Elite Qualifying Dollar spend in 2017.[/B]

Spend $25,000 or more on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage Aviator Red credit card and earn 3,000 EQD.

Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3,000 EQD - a second $25,000 spend will earn another 3,000 EQD.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?
  • Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.
What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?
According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Wait until 01Jan.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by rove312
As to whether you're promised the 10,000 miles: at the Aviator MasterCard site, under Rewards & Benefits, INSTEAD OF "My card benefits," click on "Earning AAdvantage Miles." For myself, I get
"Earn 10,000 AAdvantage anniversary miles annually." If they were discontinuing it, they would need to notify you, but I suppose it could be in the fine print of a statement.
Do you know when did you have to sign up to get the 10k legacy miles annually? Mine was converted from a US Airways card, but mine says "Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® anniversary miles in your first cardmembership year" and does not post annually.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:30 pm

I signed up when it was a US card, in 2013 as I recall. I didn't realize that it gave these miles rather than EQM or the like, which aren't useful to me, and with no minimum spend. I wasn't sure whether to believe someone's word that I'd get these miles until they posted on the first anniversary.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
So with apologies, I'm going to ask a question which is a slight riff on the does the "spend tracker" carry over from Red to Silver. I've read the Wiki and most (but certainly not all) posts in this thread.

I completely understand that if one has the Red card and later upgrades to Silver the spending does follow the upgrade and you don't have to "start over." Got it.

In my case, I'm considering putting some rather substantial, time sensitive expenses on these cards (in 2018), but given the rather bizarre vagaries of getting the "invite" for the Silver it's possible I'll need to make the spend before I would be eligible for the Silver invite.

So, I'm curious if anyone has experience putting literally the entire $50K of spend all on the Red card, then down the line being upgraded to the Silver. In that case will you just magically (and automatically) be given the incremental benefits that come from the Silver card (i.e. the additional EQMs, the additional EQDs and the companion certificate)?

I know this has been sort of asked, but I haven't seen anyone speak to this specific scenario. Personally, I care little about AA RDMs, only the EQD/EQMs, so I'm hesitant to divert this amount of spend to this card without clarity of those items being granted. Particularly interested in first hand experiences, if there are any, as opposed to theoretical deductions or pointers to the T&Cs (I'm familiar with them)

Regards
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Do you know when did you have to sign up to get the 10k legacy miles annually? Mine was converted from a US Airways card, but mine says "Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® anniversary miles in your first cardmembership year" and does not post annually.
Mine was 2012. It posts every year. I call every year to have the annual fee waived, which they’ve always done, and use the card once or twice a month. For me, the only reason to keep it is the 10,000. If you call Barclay they can send you your agreement that will say whether you signed up when the annual bonus was a perk.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
There were different application links for different card offers at the same time.
- one that offered anniversary miles annually
- one that offered anniversary miles only after 1st year of membership

Just depended on on which offer you applied and got approved for.
There is a thread somewhere here that detailed how to find out if you were the annual or just the one time recipient but honestly would take sometime to find it. It was basically looking at the Barclay website once you login and one of the sentences would read something like "Every year" or just say "miles on your 1st anniversary."

It had nothing to do with when you applied. Just which offer link you happen to click on and get approved for.
I certainly didn't anticipate Barclay's honoring the offer for so long - must admit I didn't get the "every year" offer partly cause I didn't really care or think that the card would last so long. Let that be a lesson to anyone, always bet on the long game!

This thread contains posts from 2014 through 2017.

To read the current thread, see here.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2019 at 4:05 pm Reason: Add moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.