Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EQD Run Help MIA-MXP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
EQD Run Help MIA-MXP

I normally just fly the Direct Flight from MIA-MXP and do this trip 4-5 times a year, but I am going to fall a bit short right now and have the flexibility to end up in Mugello Italy on October 25th. I am open to Milan, Rome, Venice, or Bologna I would then like to fly back to Miami on the 30th. If I need to connect on either end to maximize EQD's, I am fine with that. I also am willing to spend and pay for prem econ or cheap business fares to maximize EQD's. Based on reading the other threads it seems to me that I need to fly a OneWorld partner and credit to AA for best results. My plan was to book through the Chase portal as I currently have 150k points sitting over there. Any help would be appreciated as I am still a bit confused after reading through the threads.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by StradaleAA
I normally just fly the Direct Flight from MIA-MXP and do this trip 4-5 times a year, but I am going to fall a bit short right now and have the flexibility to end up in Mugello Italy on October 25th. I am open to Milan, Rome, Venice, or Bologna I would then like to fly back to Miami on the 30th. If I need to connect on either end to maximize EQD's, I am fine with that. I also am willing to spend and pay for prem econ or cheap business fares to maximize EQD's. Based on reading the other threads it seems to me that I need to fly a OneWorld partner and credit to AA for best results. My plan was to book through the Chase portal as I currently have 150k points sitting over there. Any help would be appreciated as I am still a bit confused after reading through the threads.
Booking AA flights numbers you will earn EQD based on the actual price of your ticket. So if you buy a $1500 ticket before tax in discount Premium Econ you would earn $1500 EQD.

Booking partner flight numbers will earn EQD based on distance and a fare code multiplier. So a MIA-LHR-MXP rountrip booked as BA flight numbers in discount PE would earn approx $1887 EQD regardless of how much you actually pay.

Premium Economy is generally the sweet spot as you can usually find discount PE to Europe for $800-$1200 depending on the date and route, etc.

From the east coast to Europe, discount business generally doesn't provide that much EQD value booking on partners unless you score an incredibly cheap deal. For example the same MIA-LHR-MXP rountrip in discount biz on BA flight numbers would earn only approx $2529 EQD. From the US you will be hard pressed to find a fare much cheaper than that in business, so most likely would be better off just booking the AA flight numbers.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United 1k, ITA CE, Marriott Ambr, Hertz Pres, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Booking AA flights numbers you will earn EQD based on the actual price of your ticket. So if you buy a $1500 ticket before tax in discount Premium Econ you would earn $1500 EQD.

Booking partner flight numbers will earn EQD based on distance and a fare code multiplier. So a MIA-LHR-MXP rountrip booked as BA flight numbers in discount PE would earn approx $1887 EQD regardless of how much you actually pay.

Premium Economy is generally the sweet spot as you can usually find discount PE to Europe for $800-$1200 depending on the date and route, etc.

From the east coast to Europe, discount business generally doesn't provide that much EQD value booking on partners unless you score an incredibly cheap deal. For example the same MIA-LHR-MXP rountrip in discount biz on BA flight numbers would earn only approx $2529 EQD. From the US you will be hard pressed to find a fare much cheaper than that in business, so most likely would be better off just booking the AA flight numbers.
So when booking part numbers for example I booked a flight MIA-LHR-DUB in December in Business through AA website but on all BA flight numbers. Is this what we are referring booking partner flight numbers. Or do I need to be booking BA flight numbers on BA website and just using my AA frequent flyer number to credit the flights to?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
So when booking part numbers for example I booked a flight MIA-LHR-DUB in December in Business through AA website but on all BA flight numbers. Is this what we are referring booking partner flight numbers. Or do I need to be booking BA flight numbers on BA website and just using my AA frequent flyer number to credit the flights to?
When crediting to AA it doesn't matter where you book, all that matters is what flight number you book. So a BA flight number will earn exactly the same whether you purchase it at aa.com or ba.com...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When crediting to AA it doesn't matter where you book, all that matters is what flight number you book. So a BA flight number will earn exactly the same whether you purchase it at aa.com or ba.com...
And remember that it doesn’t matter who’s operating the flight, only the marketing carrier (flight number) matters.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Djokison
And remember that it doesn’t matter who’s operating the flight, only the marketing carrier (flight number) matters.
This really helps clarify the situation for me, thank you!

Last edited by StradaleAA; Sep 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Earnings vary from one partner to the next when not booking it as an AA flight number. Double check your calculations based on the respective airline earning chart if your flights are using their airline code/flight number. I have found, however, that when trying to book a partner through AA with an AA flight number, the price is sometimes much higher for the exact same route than if I book that flight on the partner airline directly. Your mileage may vary. (pun intended)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by PHL
Earnings vary from one partner to the next when not booking it as an AA flight number. Double check your calculations based on the respective airline earning chart if your flights are using their airline code/flight number. I have found, however, that when trying to book a partner through AA with an AA flight number, the price is sometimes much higher for the exact same route than if I book that flight on the partner airline directly. Your mileage may vary. (pun intended)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Agree this is YMMV. I have seen this and purchase directly on BA but I have also seen other way around. I purchased on aa.com with AA flight numbers for a BA trip for $3300 in Business Class, while the same was showing $8500 on ba.com

My suggestion would be to check all sites and options, as you may get lucky and get lower price in one site vs the other

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.