Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Two of the most dreaded words in US aviation
Exactly. Absolutely no reason for the pilot to come on the horn after landing. That's why I usually sigh when the pilot comes on the horn after take off in situation where we took off early and he's all excited to tell us that. Of course I know that 99.99% chance our gate will be occupied upon arrival.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:16 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly. Absolutely no reason for the pilot to come on the horn after landing. That's why I usually sigh when the pilot comes on the horn after take off in situation where we took off early and he's all excited to tell us that. Of course I know that 99.99% chance our gate will be occupied upon arrival.
I thought it was only me!
Every time I fly AA I have at least a 2 hr connection and it ends up being about 30-45 minutes because we land "early" and wait for a gate or take laps around O'Hare. Such a bummer.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I don't think it's too much to ask that the FA's are not surly or rude.
Agreed, FAs should be professional. The focus on smiling by the OP is something though.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Youd prefer silence as the plane stops on the taxiway and waits?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
Youd prefer silence as the plane stops on the taxiway and waits?
You missed my point. No captain announcement means no gate delay so when he does come on it's only bad news.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
To the OP, I would write a short note to AA Customer Service with a description of said FA. Their supervisor will be notified and it will be noted in their HR file.

That said, if you have dietary restrictions, then I would suggest ordering a special meal. At least, you would have a decent shot at getting what you ordered...just a thought.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This must have changed. In the past those working that flight went back on AA91 the next day. The reason that they liked and bid for it was that they never really left Chicago time - they landed in London, went to bed at about 6pm body clock time, go up the next day and worked late the next afternoon. It was far less cruel jet-lag wise. It used to be thus for the day flight from JFK.

All airlines run out of meal choices, but there is a way of telling people and it would appear that this was lacking. She could have cared less and it showed. On AA the is no one to whom you can complain - there is no Senior Crew member (CSD/CSM) who is in charge. The crew can and do as they please and are answerable to no one. I flew this route in J about mid-June. As others have pointed out, BA do not offer a day service and I love the timings of this flight. The crew working our side were as miserable as the day was long. Smiling was not part of their Job Description. The pair working the other side were clearly totally different. We swapped. Clearly this was novel but no one could find a good reason for saying No other then the meal orders had to be moved. We had a most pleasant flight with two friendly and convivial people.
Not sure if it changed or not. I overheard two FAs talking about AA90 and long layover
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Given the situation, I'm not sure any amount of apology would make OP happy. There is only 1 option left, which is not acceptable by OP due to dietary restrictions or whatever reason. There are no other complimentary meals left. This is how it's going to play out based on what OP was complaining about:

FA, smiling: I'm sorry, I only have one choice left. It's the frozen microwave meal of pasta with unexplained meat. [hands over tray]
OP: But I can't eat this. I have an aversion to unexplained meat.
FA, smiling: I apologize about your aversion to unexplained meat.
OP: But I can't eat this.
FA, smiling: I apologize. Would you like me to take it away?
OP: No.
FA, smiling: I'm sorry that you would not like me to take it away. Have a good day and enjoy your flight. Because at American, we are going for great. [To another passenger] I'm sorry, I only have one choice left....
<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 15, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Given the situation, I'm not sure any amount of apology would make OP happy. There is only 1 option left, which is not acceptable by OP due to dietary restrictions or whatever reason. There are no other complimentary meals left. This is how it's going to play out based on what OP was complaining about:

FA, smiling: I'm sorry, I only have one choice left. It's the frozen microwave meal of pasta with unexplained meat. [hands over tray]
FA, smiling: I'm sorry that you would not like me to take it away. Have a good day and enjoy your flight. Because at American, we are going for great. [To another passenger] I'm sorry, I only have one choice left....
OP: [Opens laptop and posts on Flyertalk]
Or...just bring your own food and/or eat before the flight and then get all the questions from the FA’s on why I am not eating...

1) “Would you just like the tray with the salad?” A: “No”
2) “Do you hate my cooking?” A: “Yes - but don’t take it personally”
3) “You did not eat dinner, the mid-flight or now breakfast are you OK?” A: “Quite, thanks for asking though”
4) “You’ve been before haven’t you”? A: “Far, far too many times over the last quarter century, I already know the drill”

#4 is my favorite to get...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not to pile on the OP but of all of that could go wrong with a flight a FA not smiling and not having my desired meal, particularly the subpar McDonalds food served In Y would be way down my list. To be truthful I get these surveys from AA every couple months. It always asked me did the FA/GA/AC staff smile at me/make eye contact. I never remember so I say yes.

You are always going to get more personal attention in a premium cabin than Y because of design and the fact that the F FA has far fewer paxs to look after. As I said before a sign of the times when I'm in Y a FA could walk down the aisle with horns growing out of their head and I think most of the paxs so engrossed in their phone wouldn't even notice.

Finally writing to AA will get exactly one result. A form letter.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTahCha

OP: [Opens laptop and posts on Flyertalk]
Pretty much. I'm a vegetarian, and every now and again, the veggie option is popular and I miss out.

Solutions
1. Preorder Special meal
2. Preorder the veggie option
3. Bring my own food
4. Pick around the other option.

If thats the worst thing that happens on the flight, meh.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:45 pm

Pretty much. I'm a vegetarian, and every now and again, the veggie option is popular and I miss out.

Solutions
1. Preorder Special meal
3. Bring my own food

Also if you preorder special mean you will be served first so gives you extra time to sleep or do some work
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust

Solutions
1. Preorder Special meal
3. Bring my own food

5. Employ the 5th grade battle plan: Offer to trade with someone who has a more appetizing option with a less discerning palette, preferably a passenger in the J or F cabin.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
To the OP, I would write a short note to AA Customer Service with a description of said FA. Their supervisor will be notified and it will be noted in their HR file.

That said, if you have dietary restrictions, then I would suggest ordering a special meal. At least, you would have a decent shot at getting what you ordered...just a thought.
Thank you for this. I did write to AA. Their response was underwhelming. They stated in their initial response that they do not load meals in Y for everybody to have choice. I was aware of this but they ran out of choice well before my seat row. They also ignored my comments on the attitude of the FA. Interestingly, they did not suggest pre-ordering meals.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Not to pile on the OP but of all of that could go wrong with a flight a FA not smiling and not having my desired meal, particularly the subpar McDonalds food served In Y would be way down my list. To be truthful I get these surveys from AA every couple months. It always asked me did the FA/GA/AC staff smile at me/make eye contact. I never remember so I say yes.

You are always going to get more personal attention in a premium cabin than Y because of design and the fact that the F FA has far fewer paxs to look after. As I said before a sign of the times when I'm in Y a FA could walk down the aisle with horns growing out of their head and I think most of the paxs so engrossed in their phone wouldn't even notice.

Finally writing to AA will get exactly one result. A form letter.
If they ask you then presumably they expect something in that vein from their FAs. It would appear you have a poor view of Y pax. Perhaps this is indicative and is part of the issue. If you expect to be treated badly etc etc. I don't agree that 'most of the [Y] pax are as unobservant as you suggest. That's an assumption. A dangerous one at that.

Originally Posted by ty97
Agreed, FAs should be professional. The focus on smiling by the OP is something though.
I guess if you arrive on one flight where the cabin crew were energetic, smiling and made frequent passes through the cabin then that experience will leave you content. If another carriers crew on the same route are surly, unsmiling, rude and make limited passes through the cabin and seem intent on dimming it as quick as possible then that will of course leave an impression of the second carrier that is less favourable. There is something to be said for energetic crew who aren't afraid of smiling and giving the impression they care. If you're idea of 'professionalism' in an FA is pushing out the service as quick as possible in an automaton condescending fashion then AA is the carrier for you. The BA mixed Fleet crew were superb by comparison. As I said before, I have no connection with BA, just highlighting the good and the bad between the two. I've been discouraged by some of the more sarcastic comments but thank you to those who appeared to support. Have a good day all of you. I'm out.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 15, 2019 at 11:38 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
If they ask you then presumably they expect something in that vein from their FAs. It would appear you have a poor view of Y pax. Perhaps this is indicative and is part of the issue. If you expect to be treated badly etc etc. I don't agree that 'most of the [Y] pax are as unobservant as you suggest. That's an assumption. A dangerous one at that.
No that's just the honest state of Y service. Management keeps shoving more Y seats into a/c and offering fares so that those a/c are filled to the rim. Clearly despite their bs pr campaigns the Y pax isn't very high on their list of priorities. If you want a better Y experience at least in the US fly Southwest. I fly AA not only because I'm out of a hub but as a PP I can get MCE and some upgrades along the way. If I didn't have status I'd take the cheapest fare, pay for a seat selection and adjust by expectations.

Doug Parker couldn't give a rat's behind the FA threw attitude at you.
Custardthecat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.