Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
AA090 isn't normally a busy flight. In fact its a quiet one. I paid for the the same product as the person at the front of the cabin, possibly more. I doubt if many airlines run out of meal choice two thirds of the way up the cabin which they clearly did.<snipped the rest>
They load enough meals for each passenger to have the one of their choice. Sometimes more people want more of some selections more than others.
If you choice is the least favored option and you are near the end to choose, then you are in luck. They are not going to overstock simply so everyone can get their choice
For that reason, I suggest to sit in the area which will be served earlier, if the meal is that much of an issue. I have been left with no choice on BA, so this isn't something BA is perfect at either.
The FA has a lot of people to serve, and maybe this one was having an off day. No matter what the FA said about the issue, you were still not going to be satisfied there was nothing available you desired to eat.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
That's an odd sort of question. Ive never flown AA before, Ive flown DL and UA in terms of US carriers. Mainly Ive taken BA flights and LoCo flights e.g. EZY and RYR. I flew VS a few times in the not very recent pastas well as a few legacy European carriers. Ive had mostly good experiences with only a few poorer ones. Why on earth would it be happening regularly? My interaction with the FA was very limited in terms of verbal exchange, like four words and I was perfectly polite. I didn't express any great sentiment as I knew it was pointless. I'm not getting your question tbh.
It always helps to get an idea of any complaints with any airline on how often any passenger has flown that airline.
Not that it would apply to you, but in my experience, since I only fly OW airlines, If I were to fly another airline, lets say having a bad experience, it would be not be practical for me to judge that airline just on one experience.
not that I am sticking up for AA by any means, but sorry your expectations were not mean.
As it is , in all aspects of our like, sometimes we deal with nice people and sometimes we dont.
I am sure we have, if dining out, for eg, have had great servers and not so great servers.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Hack me off and you've lost all my business.
Goodbye Cruel Airline.
nancypants, AA100k and Uzzar like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I don't think it's too much to ask that the FA's are not surly or rude.

My experiences with domestic AA FA's has been markedly better than international routes.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This is not going to change for Y paxs. Parker makes it clear (and even UA and DL to a lesser extent) his priority are the people in the front paying the big bucks. The FAs aren't going to change and no one is going to make them change. This is the state of the industry. Cheap airfares get you Wal Mart service. Honestly what do I see in Y? Paxs so engrossed in their phone they wouldn't notice if the FA serving their beverage had horns growing out of their head. When I'm in Y (and thank god 98% of the time MCE) my only hopes are an empty middle seat next to me, which usually doesn't happen, and absent that no POS next me, screaming baby, unkept/unwashed individual. And that the flight arrives somewhere near ontime.
Everything that OP described can easily happen in H when you are flying big 3 US legacy airlines.
i also have the same expectations as you when flying in Y.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Unfortunately as is typical at airlines with large workforce, the more "senior" FA's get first pick on what routes/flights they want to work. The more "senior" ones usually pick the transoceanic routes while the more "junior" ones are forced to operate shorter domestic routes. That's why at least in the Y cabin it is common to get fantastic service on short haul domestic hops but get surly/dismissive service on longer transoceanic flights. This is a shame because those are also the routes they have the most competition and should be showcasing their "best product/service".
AA 90 might be preferred flight for more senior and grumpy FAs because they get 2 nights in London vs 1 night if they are working AA 46, 86 or 98
salut0 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by BearX220
... longhaul; AA is the known worst; UA is one small notch about AA....
I don't think that's true...UA has that special "je ne sais quoi" that makes them the worse of the three legacies, across the board...
rowingman likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
This is not going to change for Y paxs. Parker makes it clear (and even UA and DL to a lesser extent) his priority are the people in the front paying the big bucks. The FAs aren't going to change and no one is going to make them change. This is the state of the industry. Cheap airfares get you Wal Mart service. Honestly what do I see in Y? Paxs so engrossed in their phone they wouldn't notice if the FA serving their beverage had horns growing out of their head. When I'm in Y (and thank god 98% of the time MCE) my only hopes are an empty middle seat next to me, which usually doesn't happen, and absent that no POS next me, screaming baby, unkept/unwashed individual. And that the flight arrives somewhere near ontime.
Except, unfortunately, we see countless threads/complaints about over-the-pond premium cabin customers, receiving service just as poor, and sometimes even worse.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:13 pm

If you ever do fly AA again, consider the special meal option
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Sitting here for over 40 minutes waiting for a gate at MIA. This of course a constant occurrence. You wonder why customer facing employees have bad attitudes. Management sees no problem with AA’s lackluster operation and profit metrics. In fact they seem to be proud of it or least not very concerned. Surly FAs are the least of problems,
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Sitting here for over 40 minutes waiting for a gate at MIA. This of course a constant occurrence. You wonder why customer facing employees have bad attitudes. Management sees no problem with AA’s lackluster operation and profit metrics. In fact they seem to be proud of it or least not very concerned. Surly FAs are the least of problems,
Painful AA truly has fallen to the bottom of the barrel operationally.

Did you get the announcement from the captain when landing “well folks ....”
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Painful AA truly has fallen to the bottom of the barrel operationally.

I wonder if “Well folks, I have a good and bad news....” script is mandatory Announcmeny nowadays. 😝
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nk15
UA has that special "je ne sais quoi" that makes them the worse of the three legacies, across the board...
I think on quantitative metrics (OTP, completion, IDBs, etc.) AA is now markedly worse than UA. On human / soft factors, different outcomes on different days, but I don't think people book either airline for the service.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian

Two of the most dreaded words in US aviation
BearX220 and enviroian like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by gateH15
AA 90 might be preferred flight for more senior and grumpy FAs because they get 2 nights in London vs 1 night if they are working AA 46, 86 or 98
This must have changed. In the past those working that flight went back on AA91 the next day. The reason that they liked and bid for it was that they never really left Chicago time - they landed in London, went to bed at about 6pm body clock time, go up the next day and worked late the next afternoon. It was far less cruel jet-lag wise. It used to be thus for the day flight from JFK.

All airlines run out of meal choices, but there is a way of telling people and it would appear that this was lacking. She could have cared less and it showed. On AA the is no one to whom you can complain - there is no Senior Crew member (CSD/CSM) who is in charge. The crew can and do as they please and are answerable to no one. I flew this route in J about mid-June. As others have pointed out, BA do not offer a day service and I love the timings of this flight. The crew working our side were as miserable as the day was long. Smiling was not part of their Job Description. The pair working the other side were clearly totally different. We swapped. Clearly this was novel but no one could find a good reason for saying No other then the meal orders had to be moved. We had a most pleasant flight with two friendly and convivial people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.