AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Old Sep 10, 19, 7:44 am
Original Poster

AA090 (Poor experience in Y, daytime ORD-LHR)

Very disappointed with the in flight service on AA090 on 2 September out of ORD. Great aeroplane inside (787) but ruined by sullen Flight Attendants and running out of meal options well before getting to our row (29). The meal was simply dumped down with a 'I don't have a choice anymore'. Not an apology or anything. when I said I wasn't able to eat it she just waved a hand and said 'fine'. That particular FA didn't smile once in the entire flight. This seems to be an issue with these crews. Not only that but they ran out of apple juice for the kids as well. BA were much better going the other way. Their response to my concerns didn't inspire so here you are. Anyone else find this with older US legacy carriers
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Custardthecat View Post
Very disappointed with the in flight service on AA090 on 2 September out of ORD. Great aeroplane inside (787) but ruined by sullen Flight Attendants and running out of meal options well before getting to our row (29). The meal was simply dumped down with a 'I don't have a choice anymore'. Not an apology or anything. when I said I wasn't able to eat it she just waved a hand and said 'fine'. That particular FA didn't smile once in the entire flight. This seems to be an issue with these crews. Not only that but they ran out of apple juice for the kids as well. BA were much better going the other way. Their response to my concerns didn't inspire so here you are. Anyone else find this with older US legacy carriers
I doubt any airline loads enough economy meals so everyone can have a choice. If meal choice is important to you, then I recommend booking seats where you are served earlier.
I have had BA run out of food choice I wanted in economy, so I don't think they are better at this. How often did you interact with the FA in economy? I don't really care if they smile or not, as long as they handle the service as it should be
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I think it's generally agreed that BA (and VS for that matter) offer much better coach service over the pond. 90 is the morning flight right? Looks like you got some grumpy flight attendants. Sorry to hear about your experience.
boss315 and Custardthecat like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is it the FA's fault that they run out of meal choices or apple juice? It's a plane not restaurant. There are times I understand why FAs get grumpy. They were suppose to what pull a meal and apple juice out of their backside.
Antarius, nancypants and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
How is it the FA's fault that they run out of meal choices or apple juice? It's a plane not restaurant. There are times I understand why FAs get grumpy. They were suppose to what pull a meal and apple juice out of their backside.
I think he's more upset with the flight attendant's overall attitude towards the customer rather than lack of first choice.
BearX220, Spiff, SK and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I doubt any airline loads enough economy meals so everyone can have a choice. If meal choice is important to you, then I recommend booking seats where you are served earlier.
I have had BA run out of food choice I wanted in economy, so I don't think they are better at this. How often did you interact with the FA in economy? I don't really care if they smile or not, as long as they handle the service as it should be
AA090 isn't normally a busy flight. In fact its a quiet one. I paid for the the same product as the person at the front of the cabin, possibly more. I doubt if many airlines run out of meal choice two thirds of the way up the cabin which they clearly did. On the 787 its very easy to see the whole cabin, therefore I could see what the FAs were doing (or not doing). I do care if they smile and I don't want sullen FAs for 7.5 hours giving the impression they are doing you a favour just by being there without doing much else. I don't have to constantly interact with a person when I can observe them anyway to determine that they are not giving out good vibes.Perhaps you're ok with hands being waved in your face and being dismissed rudely but I would prefer not to be so treated. Therefore they did not handle the service okay. Two of them spent most of the time in the crew rest seats just behind us and for most of the flight the crew spent it in the galley drinking juices (lucky them they had juice). By comparison the BA crew on the way out on a much busier aircraft were busy, attentive and smiled a lot. They were willing to please and I had a meal choice well back the cabin. Im no trumpeter for BA and have no connection with them. the difference in service though was massive. These are the facts
Spiff, LINDEGR and railmatt like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I think he's more upset with the flight attendant's overall attitude towards the customer rather than lack of first choice.
Correct.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I will respond to you but clearly you chose not to see my post in context. Its all about how you deal with an issue. Yes the meal thing wasn't pleasing, nor was no juices for the children but perhaps waving your hand in the face of the customer and saying 'fine' in a dismissive manner may not be the way to go in a customer service environment where there is consumer choice. I had to describe what led up to it surely or did you expect me to say she just did it? This attitude did make me scrutinise them more closely and I wasn't impressed. That's the way it was. I'm sure you've complained about bad service at some ;point or are you about to tell me you never have?
nikbruno likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not going to change for Y paxs. Parker makes it clear (and even UA and DL to a lesser extent) his priority are the people in the front paying the big bucks. The FAs aren't going to change and no one is going to make them change. This is the state of the industry. Cheap airfares get you Wal Mart service. Honestly what do I see in Y? Paxs so engrossed in their phone they wouldn't notice if the FA serving their beverage had horns growing out of their head. When I'm in Y (and thank god 98% of the time MCE) my only hopes are an empty middle seat next to me, which usually doesn't happen, and absent that no POS next me, screaming baby, unkept/unwashed individual. And that the flight arrives somewhere near ontime.
BearX220, KRSW, Gig103 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and thank god 98% of the time MCE
Right but you're still most likely going to have the same grumpy flight attendant serving you in 8A as the person in 28B.
nikbruno likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver
By comparison the BA crew on the way out on a much busier aircraft were busy, attentive and smiled a lot. They were willing to please and I had a meal choice well back the cabin. Im no trumpeter for BA and have no connection with them. the difference in service though was massive. These are the facts
Then you should fly BA instead!
PUCCI GALORE, mhy and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:36 am
Original Poster

This is not going to change for Y paxs. Parker makes it clear (and even UA and DL to a lesser extent) his priority are the people in the front paying the big bucks. The FAs aren't going to change and no one is going to make them change. This is the state of the industry. Cheap airfares get you Wal Mart service. Honestly what do I see in Y? Paxs so engrossed in their phone they wouldn't notice if the FA serving their beverage had horns growing out of their head. When I'm in Y (and thank god 98% of the time MCE) my only hopes are an empty middle seat next to me, which usually doesn't happen, and absent that no POS next me, screaming baby, unkept/unwashed individual. And that the flight arrives somewhere near ontime.
Well George I may partially agree with you to the extent that Cordon Bleur may never arrive in Y. However I don't think its right that an FA who is taught otherwise surely, should be sullen towards his or her customers who may well be having their holiday start right there and then. Its not too much to ask surely for a smile (just one maybe) and not to have a hand waved in my face. I repeat, I have no connection to BA but my experience with the young crew on the way on on the BA297 on 20 August was that they wanted to make that journey pleasant...for everyone.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Finsup72 View Post
Then you should fly BA instead!
Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Noted. And yes, I probably will do do or more correctly, not AA. I had thought this forum was here to share experiences. My response to you will therefore be to follow your own suggestion and try it also.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's possible she was having a bad day. It's also possible you were the 30th customer with whom she had such a conversation and perhaps got tired of having to apologize for lack of choices (which isn't her fault). For every one FA in a bad mood, I've had 20 who aren't, on all carriers. I try not to let someone else's bad day ruin mine.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Smile

Just as an aside George, does the Y cabin on these flights you take arrive significantly behind the Premium cabin. I mean surely there's only 200 feet or so max in it.

Search this Thread