Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What do you class as "actual prosecco" as long as it is made using Prosecco grapes and is not , to best of my knowledge, a protected marque for a specific region but just a type of wine
The label is a good place to start. Marriott properties in Bangkok have started serving this one in their PLT/Exec lounges, and I find it a very pleasant wine to drink.

Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The label is a good place to start. Marriott properties in Bangkok have started serving this one in their PLT/Exec lounges, and I find it a very pleasant wine to drink.

That does indeed say prosecco - prosecco is not exactly uncommon or particularly expensive, so was wondering what the person meant by actual prosecco - are other drinks being passed off as being prosecco?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
What do you class as "actual prosecco" as long as it is made using Prosecco grapes and is not , to best of my knowledge, a protected marque for a specific region but just a type of wine
I'd start with looking for a DOCG seal on the bottle, that's what I'd classify as actual Prosecco. DOCG prosecco has to be made in a specific regions in Italy.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
That does indeed say prosecco - prosecco is not exactly uncommon or particularly expensive, so was wondering what the person meant by actual prosecco - are other drinks being passed off as being prosecco?
From Wikipedia:
Prosecco is an Italian wine controlled by DOC or DOCG. Under these wine laws, Prosecco can be spumante ("sparkling wine"), frizzante ("semi-sparkling wine"), or tranquillo ("still wine"). It is made from Prosecco grapes (renamed within the EU to Glera grapes), but EU rules allow other authorised grape varieties to be included up to a maximum of 15%. Those varieties that can be included with Glera are Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir vinified white. The name Prosecco is derived from the Italian village of Prosecco near Trieste, where the grape and the wine may have originated.

Prosecco DOC is produced in nine provinces spanning the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions. Meanwhile, Prosecco Superiore DOCG comes in two forms: Prosecco Conegliano Valdobbiadene Superiore DOCG, which can only be made in the Treviso province of Veneto on the hills between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene (north of Treviso), and the nearby smaller Asolo Prosecco Superiore DOCG, across the River Piave and produced near the town of Asolo.
freeagent likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
I'd start with looking for a DOCG seal on the bottle, that's what I'd classify as actual Prosecco. DOCG prosecco has to be made in a specific regions in Italy.
Those ones do have specific requirements - but unless someone is adertising that they are offering Prosecco DOCG , rather than just Prosecco , there is no issue and it is still Prosecco - unlike champagne , where all drinks sold as champagne have to meet specific requirements

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:57 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Those ones do have specific requirements - but unless someone is adertising that they are offering Prosecco DOCG , rather than just Prosecco , there is no issue and it is still Prosecco - unlike champagne , where all drinks sold as champagne have to meet specific requirements
Prosecco is governed under DOC and DOCG law, these laws are similar to France's Appellation d'origine contrôlée or AOC laws, which champagne falls under. If someone is labelling and selling something as prosecco it will be DOC or DOCG usually printed on the label, like in the picture above or sealed with a seal. Champagne tends to be more expensive due to the increased labor that goes into the champagne method as well as the availability of quality grapes from the region.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by freeagent
Prosecco is governed under DOC and DOCG law, these laws are similar to France's Appellation d'origine contrôlée or AOC laws, which champagne falls under. If someone is labelling and selling something as prosecco it will be DOC or DOCG usually printed on the label, like in the picture above or sealed with a seal. Champagne tends to be more expensive due to the increased labor that goes into the champagne method as well as the availability of quality grapes from the region.

If the term prosecco is itself a protected marque and only those that comply with such requirements can call the drink that, then , indeed, other drinks should not be being called prosecco

Checking the online stores locally there are proseccos for sale with no reference that I can see to DOC on the label
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Surprised this hasn’t been merged to the PDB thread at this point
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
If the term prosecco is itself a protected marque and only those that comply with such requirements can call the drink that, then , indeed, other drinks should not be being called prosecco

Checking the online stores locally there are proseccos for sale with no reference that I can see to DOC on the label
If it’s made in Italy and says Prosecco on the label then you can be reasonably sure that it is ‘real’ Prosecco, and it will say DOC/DOCG somewhere on the bottle.

If it says Prosecco on the label but was made in the USA, then perhaps not. It’s exactly the same as the oceans of fake ‘Champagne’ that used to be sold in the US.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The Prosecco that AA serves may be, but not all Prosecco is. Far from it.

Price ≠ quality, flavor or desirability. People on FT swoon over even the mention of Krug; yet I don't particularly care for it because of its flavor characteristics. (Happy to go into detail by PM if anyone cares.) I much prefer pretty much anything from Veuve Clicquot. It seems to be pretty common on FT for people to assess wines by their retail cost. Makes me wonder how they'd do in a blind taste test between, say, VC LGD and Krug. While there are, of course, some oenophiles for whom this wouldn't be a challenge, I'm quite convinced that many of those here who hold themselves out to be champagne experts (read snobs) wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Ah, but there’s the widow, and then there’s La Grande Dame.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Surprised this hasn’t been merged to the PDB thread at this point
It's all been discussed before in it's own thread here as well:

Prosecco vs Champagne
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1) Andre Extra Dry Champagne* is "cheap", so they could still serve this instead of Prosecco and be truthful in saying they are serving Champagne
(2) When I flew intl. bc AA never served inflight Champagne as good as what you got in the Flagship Lounge in JFK.
*A google search = around $1/750ml bottle
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
They serve either Ruffino or Mionetto Prosecco on the ground.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
The Prosecco that AA serves may be, but not all Prosecco is. Far from it.

Price ≠ quality, flavor or desirability. People on FT swoon over even the mention of Krug; yet I don't particularly care for it because of its flavor characteristics. (Happy to go into detail by PM if anyone cares.) I much prefer pretty much anything from Veuve Clicquot. It seems to be pretty common on FT for people to assess wines by their retail cost. Makes me wonder how they'd do in a blind taste test between, say, VC LGD and Krug. While there are, of course, some oenophiles for whom this wouldn't be a challenge, I'm quite convinced that many of those here who hold themselves out to be champagne experts (read snobs) wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
And I never liked VC but truly enjoy the Krug. Most of the champagnes served in air are fine but the predeparture Prosecco is truly nasty (and I presume cheap but not necessarily).
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Something is missing on this thread.

I have never paid attention, so I wonder what "sparkling wine" is usually available in the air on AA international J/F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.