Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prosecco vs Champagne

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Thumbs down Prosecco vs Champagne

Flew back from Brazil to Miami in Business yesterday and the wine list had the following:

CHAMPAGNE

Treviso Vignetti Zanatta Prosecco, Italy

Most everyone knows that unless a sparkling wine is actually produced in the Champagne region of France it cannot be called Champagne. Maybe AA needs to find some new wine consultants.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MileTex
Flew back from Brazil to Miami in Business yesterday and the wine list had the following:

CHAMPAGNE

Most everyone knows that unless a sparkling wine is actually produced in the Champagne region of France it cannot be called Champagne. Maybe AA needs to find some new wine consultants.
Don't underestimate Ken Chase. If anyone at all could handpick French prosecco, it's him!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:15 pm

In the US, I don't believe there's a legal distinction between sparkling wine and champagne, so they can call their sparkling wins "champagne" all day if they want to.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

No one's fooled, no one's harmed.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No one's fooled, no one's harmed.
^
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I don't really care if it's champagne, prosecco, cava, or sparkling wine.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Bttc
In the US, I don't believe there's a legal distinction between sparkling wine and champagne, so they can call their sparkling wins "champagne" all day if they want to.
Actually, there is. With the exception of a few "grandfathered" American-made champagnes, only French champagne may be labeled as "champagne" in the U.S.:

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/loopho...ampagne-legal/
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MileTex

CHAMPAGNE

Setting aside the labeling issue, I'm pretty dismayed to see that AA's cheaping out even more and serving crappy prosecco in place of what used to be the only wine they spent any real money on in the premium cabins.

Customers might not be fooled by what they're being served, but they're increasingly going to feel like they were fooled to pay money for such a crappy product.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Nomenclature aside, how did the procecco taste? For me, that's the more relevant inquiry.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Nomenclature aside, how did the procecco taste? For me, that's the more relevant inquiry.
Now we're talkin'. There's good Champagne (not to be expected on AA, I'm afraid), poor Champagne, overpriced Champagne, from good to bad spumante, prosecco, cava, espumante, cremant etc. etc. Veneto vs Valdobbiadene, etc. but "How is it?" is the bottom line.

It's certainly gauche to ball a prosecco Champagne, given Charmat vs. methode traditionelle, but we're talking Ken Chase here...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Supposedly they are serving Lanson Black Label (a decent and proper Champagne by anyone's definition) on most long-haul intercontinental flights. Although a couple of weeks ago on DUB-JFK, they had the cheap Prosecco out. I guess if I'm drinking at 9am, my expectations should be low.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ining/wine.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:15 pm

Yes, they made a mistake.

But, consider yourself lucky that you got some good Italian Prosecco instead of the French stuff.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Yes, they made a mistake.

But, consider yourself lucky that you got some good Italian Prosecco instead of the French stuff.
It is more than a mistake if AA is printing menus listing an italian sparkling wine as champagne

It is bad enough if a crew member calls it champagne, but no excuse for the airline to be issuing menus with it listed as such
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
You know, it's funny - just this afternoon this was posted to the AA Instagram account and I thought "what are the chances it's actual champagne?":

https://instagram.com/p/7JESa5oxxU/
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by phlwookie
You know, it's funny - just this afternoon this was posted to the AA Instagram account and I thought "what are the chances it's actual champagne?":
Saw that IG post today and laughed to myself thinking "it's prosecco"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.