FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1986422-problem-champagne-ground-s-prosecco.html)

Fonsini Sep 8, 2019 8:06 am

The Problem with Champagne on the Ground is It’s Prosecco

An FA on a recent international flight in Business told me that the “champagne” that AA serve on the ground is just cheap and nasty Prosecco due to the need for the airline to pay duty on alcoholic beverages served on the ground, and that they only open up actual bottles of champagne when in the air (which is then duty free).

Anyone know the truth of this ?

UKtravelbear Sep 8, 2019 8:11 am

Yes that’s correct re the duty but Prosecco isn’t ‘cheap and nasty’. Many people prefer it to proper champagne

On all the international AA flights I’ve been on the CC has always and correctly asked me if I wanted water, OJ or sparking wine.

Antarius Sep 8, 2019 8:25 am

Dunno about the veracity of this, but it isnt like AA serves particularly nice champagne anyways.

kennycrudup Sep 8, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31503334)
... but Prosecco isn’t ‘cheap and nasty’. Many people prefer it to proper champagne

... same people who buy Pepsi, I guess

bse118 Sep 8, 2019 9:36 am

The problem is - all champagne tastes terrible - cheap or not. :p

drewp123 Sep 8, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 31503550)
... same people who buy Pepsi, I guess

I’m always happy to buy Prosecco, if they accept Monopoly money. Otherwise, my cash buys champagne :)

Often1 Sep 8, 2019 9:54 am

Yes. No different than the reason that many carriers do not serve top shelf booze on the ground. Not only the requirement that duty be paid, but the stuff served on the ground must go in entirely different carts which are not bonded (locked).

teemuflyer Sep 8, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Fonsini (Post 31503325)
An FA on a recent international flight in Business told me that the “champagne” that AA serve on the ground is just cheap and nasty Prosecco due to the need for the airline to pay duty on alcoholic beverages served on the ground, and that they only open up actual bottles of champagne when in the air (which is then duty free).

Anyone know the truth of this ?

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31503334)
Yes that’s correct re the duty but Prosecco isn’t ‘cheap and nasty’. Many people prefer it to proper champagne

On all the international AA flights I’ve been on the CC has always and correctly asked me if I wanted water, OJ or sparking wine.

Yes, they are trying to reduce duty costs by serving a less expensive sparkling wine as part of the pre-departure offerings, but then again, they serve it in cheap plastic glasses. My main complaint is that on occasion, whatever they have served was close to room temperature which doesn't enhance any sparking wine in my opinion.

I've had good Prosecco, Cava, and other non-champagnes that have even been of excellent quality, but actual champagne is generally good to fantastic to my taste.

Final comment on this. I have no idea why AA does this, when almost any other airline offers actual champagne in the premium cabins and in actual glassware. Can't imagine the duty costs are that large, but in exchange it does take away from the "premium" offering experience, IMHO.

Eastbay1K Sep 8, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31503641)
Final comment on this. I have no idea why AA does this, when almost any other airline offers actual champagne in the premium cabins and in actual glassware. Can't imagine the duty costs are that large, but in exchange it does take away from the "premium" offering experience, IMHO.

Many premium carriers serve "substandard" bubbles for the reason mentioned above. Duty costs can be substantial. Glassware? Carrier specific. I don't know if the FAA requires that actual glassware is removed prior to gate departure (for US carriers), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

As for the general proposition, sheesh, it is maybe 4 ounces of a cool beverage prior to departure, and esnobismo exhibited on the topic over the course of Flyertalk history is well, speshul. I'll suffer with a plastic cup of the pre-departure swill so long as my Lorren Parry Aye Granne Saw Selle is chilling to perfection during boarding, taxi, and takeoff.

krispy84 Sep 8, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31503709)
Many premium carriers serve "substandard" bubbles for the reason mentioned above. Duty costs can be substantial. Glassware? Carrier specific. I don't know if the FAA requires that actual glassware is removed prior to gate departure (for US carriers), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

As for the general proposition, sheesh, it is maybe 4 ounces of a cool beverage prior to departure, and esnobismo exhibited on the topic over the course of Flyertalk history is well, speshul. I'll suffer with a plastic cup of the pre-departure swill so long as my Lorren Parry Aye Granne Saw Selle is chilling to perfection during boarding, taxi, and takeoff.

AA serve LPGS?

I shudder to think of the tortuous pronunciations that are inflicted on the poor wine.

Lakeviewsteve Sep 8, 2019 11:13 am

When the birds fly over AA's CEO Doug Parker's house they all scream cheap cheap cheap.

AANYC1981 Sep 8, 2019 11:22 am

DL currently uses glassware for Int’l PDB as did even LUS (I think) before the merger for their Envoy flights. It can be done by US airlines.

AA100k Sep 8, 2019 11:27 am

I never take the PDB sparkling wine because it’s usually piss warm and always served in plastic. Any champagne or sparkling wine will taste awful served in plastic and warm even Krug.

Eastbay1K Sep 8, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31503847)

AA serve LPGS?

I shudder to think of the tortuous pronunciations that are inflicted on the poor wine.

No, it serves LPAGSS :p

cmglobal Sep 8, 2019 11:42 am

The bigger problem is when they try serving the Prosecco in the air.