Ghost Systemwide Upgrades?

Old Aug 20, 19, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1MM/Gold; AA: CK; Hyatt: Globalist; Marriott: Titanium Elite
Ghost Systemwide Upgrades?

I've had this happen a few times. I search for a flight, and I see systemwides are available. I click on the pop-up and make sure all legs are covered. I book the flight. I then go to apply my systemwide. Magically it is no longer available. After this happened today, I went and checked expertflyer AFTER my ticket issued. Sure enough expertflyer shows 3 upgrades available. I go and check aa.com, and it shows systemwide available. I called the CK desk and asked if a systemwide was available on the flight. They said no. I mentioned aa.com and sent them a screen shot showing it showed up for me. The end result was sorry email customer relations - nothing we can do.

This is almost like bait and switch. I don't understand why hours after my ticket issues aa.com and expertflyer are still showing a systemwide is available, but CK desk says nope. Anyone encounter this previously?
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Just to verify that this is not on a A321T aircraft or the 777-300? The system will show that system-wides are available, but it is usually only from J to F, not Y to J. If it is on one of those aircraft, you have to click on the hyperlink to see which cabin/s the upgrades are available for.
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

This is not a A321T nor 777-300. I did click on the link and it shows the leg available. ExpertFlyer also shows 3 upgrades available on this leg. So far everyone at AA says nothing is available, and yet it is a 321 showing 7+ seats in F available and 3 in C.

One agent indicated that maybe it's too far out to clear. But, this flight is a connection and the inbound cleared. AA.com still showing SWU available so there's a bug in their system somewhere.
Old Aug 20, 19, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How soon are you traveling? Seeing three C seats available (on the seat map or for sale) is not the same as having theee seats in upgrade inventory (for upgrades into business class).
Old Aug 20, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by tiredprofessor View Post
I've had this happen a few times. I search for a flight, and I see systemwides are available. I click on the pop-up and make sure all legs are covered. I book the flight. I then go to apply my systemwide. Magically it is no longer available. After this happened today, I went and checked expertflyer AFTER my ticket issued. Sure enough expertflyer shows 3 upgrades available. I go and check aa.com, and it shows systemwide available. I called the CK desk and asked if a systemwide was available on the flight. They said no. I mentioned aa.com and sent them a screen shot showing it showed up for me. The end result was sorry email customer relations - nothing we can do.

This is almost like bait and switch. I don't understand why hours after my ticket issues aa.com and expertflyer are still showing a systemwide is available, but CK desk says nope. Anyone encounter this previously?
Are you connecting? Any chance of some type of married segment logic causing the difference?
Old Aug 20, 19, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, searching connecting itineraries on ExpertFlyer will sometimes result in phantom C space showing up that is not real and cannot be booked. Other than that, if EF is showing C space and you call and they can't see it, a HUCA is in order.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by jridge View Post
Are you connecting? Any chance of some type of married segment logic causing the difference?
yes Iíve seen weird behavior tied to married segments. C available on a flight when viewed as part of a connecting itinerary but when searching for the segment alone doesnít show avail and when calling in they canít process upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..del already asked
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
I've also had this happen. The AA agents have told me that there is sometimes a lag between the AA inventory system updating, and the change being pushed to EF. I'm not sure I believe them though since usually after I redeem a SWU I see EF update instantly.
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:35 am
Original Poster

So I spoke with three different CK agents - all provided the same response - nothing available. One even escalated it and asked me to send in screen shots. So HUCA didn't work.

I've engaged the twitter social media team, and they've agreed to pass it to IT without admitting there is a problem. I asked how I could track the issue so I can understand what the issue is and pretty much got a "don't DM us we'll DM you" response.

I might try the CK desk again and escalate to a manager, but at this point I'm tipping at a windmill. There's clearly a bug (almost bait and switch since the site says you can use a SWU and then after you book you find out - nope no can do). I'm surprised and not surprised that AA doesn't seem to care that they're misleading or lying to customers.
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
If it is within 24 hours of when you booked, you could just cancel for a full refund. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but might be worth looking into.

Years ago, when I was a US CP (similar to AA EXP), I would call and speak with an agent to ensure there were upgrade opportunities on flights before booking. They would book for me, then immediately upgrade me. Might be worth calling when you see that system-wide upgrades are available to just call first, maybe book (while on the phone) after the agent verifies, then upgrade.
tacostuff, Zacnlinc and FAA1996 like this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Exactly, the systemwide availability link functionality at aa.com has been glitchy from the start, sometimes it's there sometimes it's not, etc. For future reference I would never rely soley on that for booking a flight. Call first, or at least put the flights you want on hold if possible then call to verify SWU space, etc.

Also, would be helpful to know the flights and exact EF search, many of us here would take a look and see if there might be something else going on.
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - I did call before booking based on this happening previously. Unfortunately, I have to be on this exact flight. It's short so I don't mind not getting the upgrade. I'm just trying to understand and point out to AA that there's a bug. I guess I thought this would be something AA would care about fixing - oh well.

Two friends (EXP and CK) have checked on aa.com and EF. Both see exactly what I see - still today more than 24 hrs after booking.

Presuming I hear something down the road (doubtful) - I'll post the result.
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
are you searching EF for a single segment, or are you searching a connecting routing?
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
are you searching EF for a single segment, or are you searching a connecting routing?
Single segment

Search this Thread