Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit Against AA-- Mistreatment of Pregnant Passenger, Emotional Support Dog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond

A lawsuit in the Southern District of Florida alleges an American Airlines flight attendant mistreated a pregnant passenger who tried to bring an emotional support service dog aboard the business-class section of a flight from Miami to Los Angeles in April 2019.

https://www.law.com/dailybusinessrev...7&utm_term=dbr
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by taxatty56
A lawsuit in the Southern District of Florida alleges an American Airlines flight attendant mistreated a pregnant passenger who tried to bring an emotional support service dog aboard the business-class section of a flight from Miami to Los Angeles in April 2019.

The link brought me to a page that allowed me to read the first paragraph of the story followed by this:

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Benefits of a Digital Membership:
  1. Free access to 3 articles* every 30 days
If I am going to have to register, I don't think that I will waste one of my precious 3 articles a month on this story

Given that I haven't been able to read the full story, from the OP and the intro on the website I think I have the gist of the story: The flight attendant shoved a full-term pregnant woman in a kennel and locked her in the bathroom while her emotional support dog ate trail mix in her Business Class seat - have I got that right?

Last edited by 3544quebec; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:32 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I used this link and it worked for me.

In any event, the full complaint is available here.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I used this link and it worked for me.

In any event, the full complaint is available here.
Thanks for the second link - that worked

What a coincidence that as I got towards the end there was a section titled - Prayer for Relief- that's exactly what I was engaged in at that instant
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by taxatty56

Was the passenger or dog mistreated? The thread title and above don't match. Or maybe both.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jridge
Was the passenger or dog mistreated? The thread title and above don't match. Or maybe both.
The complaint talks about the women claiming the dog was put in a small bathroom, and the FA hit the kennel with the lav door.
So, if the kennel was too big to fit into the lav without hitting it with the door, then the kennel was too big and didn't belong on the plane.
I find it odd that a pregnant women traveling with her husband and elderly father, requires an emotional support animal to fly.... but that's another rant.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:49 pm

I'm no defender of AA or any other airline but I can't believe an actual lawyer decided to file that lawsuit. Even if everything in that complaint is true (and at the very least a lot seems to have been left out), i to me doesn't rise to the level of a federal lawsuit.
chitink likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by haveric
I'm no defender of AA or any other airline but I can't believe an actual lawyer decided to file that lawsuit. Even if everything in that complaint is true (and at the very least a lot seems to have been left out), i to me doesn't rise to the level of a federal lawsuit.
Filing in federal court has to do with the amount of damages sought (more than $75k) and different states of domicile for plaintiff and defendant. It’s not necessarily related to the importance of the case.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:49 pm
C46

Wrapping the dog in one of the blankets...that tells me a lot about this pax!
And if husband & grandfather cannot provide sufficient emotional support to her, I feel sorry for the two guys, to be considered less important than a dog.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does pregnancy have to do with this? I'm confused.
RooseveltL and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
This is a terrible case where AA completely ignored the mental anguish of a passenger, ignored their own carrier agreement with passengers, and violated every standard of decency.

lol

Sounds like the preface of 33% of AA sub-forum threads!
asnovici, travelmad478 and jridge like this.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 8, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I didn’t make it past the “Parties” section of the complaint. My eyes had enough after seeing them call American “United” and repeatedly flub principle vs. principal.
haveric, C17PSGR, deeruck and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Family does seem to like dogs ...aka War Dogs ...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
oh great , another thread, that I will be paying too much attention too.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yeah, she was traveling with her husband and father? Emotional support animal? More like pet. I hope that the jury sees this. Time to put a stop to this nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.