Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ignoring minimum connecting time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Feel free to wait and take your chances. This is a risk tolerance game which you are free to play.

Don't come back and start a thread ranting about how you wound up with a lousy connection and middle seats near the lav.

The ATH staff has nothing to do with this and may not even understand why they are inhibited from processing you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:58 am

Athens staff would not be prevented by the system from issuing an ATH-LHR boarding pass because the follow-on segment violates the at-ticketing-enforced MCT.

You may not get the LHR-LAX boarding pass at Athens.
I never check luggage, so perhaps that could be an issue.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Somewhat related - I have a 95 min connection in HKG. I booked on AA.com If something mechanical happens and I miss this connection would AA handle re-booking / accommodations at HKG or would I need to talk to Cathay?

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Somewhat related - I have a 95 min connection in HKG. I booked on AA.com If something mechanical happens and I miss this connection would AA handle re-booking / accommodations at HKG or would I need to talk to Cathay? Also, what if going back through security takes too long and I miss the flight, would I have any recourse?

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Somewhat related - I have a 95 min connection in HKG. I booked on AA.com If something mechanical happens and I miss this connection would AA handle re-booking / accommodations at HKG or would I need to talk to Cathay?

While it is technically AA's responsibility, if you were to arrive in HKG late just go straight to the CX desks, they will be able to rebook you no problem.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
While it is technically AA's responsibility, if you were to arrive in HKG late just go straight to the CX desks, they will be able to rebook you no problem.
Thank you, but who pays for the hotel if needed?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Regarding minimum connection times, why does AA list flights for sale that do not allow for a minimum connection time? Please see example provided:

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see anything in the example that indicates that AA is not adhering to MCT when selling tickets

The MCT seems to be 30 minutes according to EF

AA-AA DD .30 FLT 1 - 2949 - FLT 1 - 2949

and the connection time is 38 minutes. Looks like a valid connection to me
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see anything in the example that indicates that AA is not adhering to MCT when selling tickets

The MCT seems to be 30 minutes according to EF

AA-AA DD .30 FLT 1 - 2949 - FLT 1 - 2949

and the connection time is 38 minutes. Looks like a valid connection to me
indeed, and I suspect they’re only flagging it so that someone who has 10 kids in tow or a mother with a dicky knee can’t complain after the fact that they weren’t aware it would be tight
deeruck and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, "Please Note Connection Time" means the connection is short, not illegal.
nancypants and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If Mechanical, AA would
If Weather, You would

But who pays for the hotel is not dependent on who books you on the next flight
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Misconnecting in HKG will be a night and day different experience than your average misconnection in the US.

At HKG, for a late arriving AA flight there will be multiple AA and CX agents meeting the flight providing genuinely helpful assistance. Most all misconnecting pax will have already been rebooked, the agents will have new boarding passes in hand, in addition to hotel vouchers and instructions for anyone that now requires an overnight. They will take care of you.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:33 pm

if one can't afford his own hotel & incidentals during a misconnect, then he can't afford the trip

it's pretty crazy the airlines ever have to subsidize passenger's trip expenses - weather happens, parts break
Exec_Plat and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Colin
if one can't afford his own hotel & incidentals during a misconnect, then he can't afford the trip

it's pretty crazy the airlines ever have to subsidize passenger's trip expenses - weather happens, parts break
Oh stop it with your elitism. You should definitely keep those factors in mind with timing your trip but I certainly wouldn't have been to the place I've been to if I could "afford" my own hotel on every single trip.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin

No - It is more ridiculous that in the US, the airlines are allowed to get away with not providing accommodation et al

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.