Wiki Posts
Search

Ignoring minimum connecting time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:27 pm
SBT
Original Poster

Ignoring minimum connecting time

I will be flying ATH-LHR-LAX in November. I've traveled a few times between terminal 5 and terminal 3 at LHR without incident. A schedule change has reduced my connecting time to AA to 85 minutes. Minimum connecting time is 90 minutes. If I ignore it (since AA won't notify me anyway) would I encounter any problem, retrieving boarding passes or checking in at ATH on BA?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA will pick it up and not permit the itinerary
Unterwegs, Often1 and AA100k like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:40 pm
SBT
Original Poster

Dave:

I am already ticketed. My ticket shows a 95 minute connection (legal). A recent schedule change reduced it to 85 minutes. Do you mean when I am in Athens they will cancel the return or simple put me on a later connecting flight?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
It means that at some point between now and your flight, AA is most likely to either change the flight/routing at their discretion, or flag it as 'please contact reservations' (whether or not they notify you is another question).
JDiver, CPRich, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:54 pm

Exactly - it will get detected and be invalid for travel. You would be best served by finding a suitable replacement option and contacting AA and seeing what it can do
JDiver, Unterwegs, chitink and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SBT
Dave:

I am already ticketed. My ticket shows a 95 minute connection (legal). A recent schedule change reduced it to 85 minutes. Do you mean when I am in Athens they will cancel the return or simple put me on a later connecting flight?
If you are lucky, AA or BA will reach out to you and advise you that you need to be rebooked. If you are unlucky, you will be notified at the counter on departure.

You will have more options and certainly better seat assignments if you deal with this sooner rather than later.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:50 pm

The last 2 posts covered it spot on.

Find out the best option(s) you want, then call in and have them switch you. It’s much better to be ahead of the game than to allow a computer to do the picking for you.

Granted, it’s still a long ways out and could change again, but you have an opportunity to get preferred flights if you would like. Although I would recommend something greater than 2 hours to be on the safe side. What would you have done if the connection hadn’t changed, but your ATH-LHR leg was 25 minutes late? For some it’s not a problem, they can spare the time. Others, not so much.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:16 pm

BA is not going to deny boarding at ATH.
BA is not going to cancel LHR-LAX on another airline on a ticket it doesn’t control.
if you present yourself at T3 FCC or the gate in time, you will fly.

i assume you are looking for some advice because you’ve already researched alternative flight options and nothing works well for your schedule. if that’s not the case, then by all means pick your desired new routing and avoid the stress.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
BA is not going to deny boarding at ATH.
BA is not going to cancel LHR-LAX on another airline on a ticket it doesn’t control.
if you present yourself at T3 FCC or the gate in time, you will fly.

i assume you are looking for some advice because you’ve already researched alternative flight options and nothing works well for your schedule. if that’s not the case, then by all means pick your desired new routing and avoid the stress.
If it is a ticket issued by American, they most certainly can reschedule him, with or without his permission to a later AA flight in order have a valid connection time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:08 pm

sure, an outsourced BA agent at Athens check-in is going to make it her mission in life to screw the OP in the hour & a half before departure. get real.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:49 pm

As already stated multiple times, they will involuntarily reschedule you at some point, so turning up for the BA flight is not an option (unless it is unchanged in the new schedule). The fact that you are "already ticketed" is irrelevant. What you want to do is research the legal alternatives, pick the best or least bad option, then call and ask for it. If you do not, what they pick is likely to not be what you would have wanted.

I was once able to change an award ticket that had me connecting in LHR, to a nonstop flight, because of a schedule change. I asked nicely, and they opened award inventory for me. They did this, they know they have to make it right (within reason).
ajeleonard and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Colin
sure, an outsourced BA agent at Athens check-in is going to make it her mission in life to screw the OP in the hour & a half before departure. get real.
The system will pick up the illegal connection and will rebook onto something valid - it will not be down to an agent in Athens

Earlier the passenger contacts and deals with the issue, the more options that will remain open ; leaving it will lead to having less options , but still will have an invalid ticket that will not be eligible to check in in Athens
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:04 am

I had a similar situation with an LHR connection a while back. It takes AA a while (weeks, not days) to recognize the problem. They will rebook you - possibly to something you don't like. Check if the AA system already shows the schedule change and check your reservation on their system. If you can see the change there better call now than later. And have alternatives ready when you call.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are better off proactively looking for the alternative you want and getting it fixed now rather than waiting for them to pick it up and facing something different with more limited availabiliy

Just ignoring it is not an a recommended strategy
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:31 am

i flew CUN-DFW-LAX last year after a schedule change 6 months before travel caused a below-MCT connection at DFW.

i kept it as-is to get the 772 flat bed DFW-LAX.

it was absolutely fine.

and i know it was below MCT for certain because AA.com would not sell the itinerary.

change it if you want to, OP. if you do decide to keep for whatever reason, you’ll be fine if flights ontime (and no bus transfer queueing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.