Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Most EQM without hitting EXP EQD requirement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most EQM without hitting EXP EQD requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold
I’m projecting about 6.5-7k EQDs this year with about 55k EQM....

That’s fine with me as all I really care about in terms of elite benefits from DFW is the free same day standby and international lounge access... It’s not as if my upgrade % would go way up if I made PPRO.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
While I don't much care about status, it surprises me that AA doesn't offer a path to status that relies exclusively on spend.
I agree - if you’re spending $15k per year, you should hold top status. I’d hate to be the one who spends that much and ends up Platinum Pro or lower. Wonder if that happens?
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA100k

I agree - if you’re spending $15k per year, you should hold top status. I’d hate to be the one who spends that much and ends up Platinum Pro or lower. Wonder if that happens?
Yea.. no thanks. We dont need a flood of EXPs with half the qualifications.

If someone is short, they can take a nice MR vacation.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yea.. no thanks. We dont need a flood of EXPs with half the qualifications.
The very high spend but low mile types could just as easily argue that it's the high mile low spend ones who are flooding the EXP ranks.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
The very high spend but low mile types could just as easily argue that it's the high mile low spend ones who are flooding the EXP ranks.
Sure, but since EXP is and has been mileage based, this would be a marked departure from the program.

at 15k, you can't be that low spend, so the current program weeds out the high mile low spend people anyways.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AA100k

More $$ for AA: Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:58 pm

I’m always baffled when I see people posting that they’re hitting EXP with such low EQD. Or the outrage of the number of people who wouldn’t hit EXP with the new 15K EQD limit.

I don’t know how people manage to get the EQM on such low spends.

i finished last year on 80K EQM on about 18-20k EQD. But i was mainly domestic Y with a lot of last minute regionals.

I never see any J/F fares TATL or TPAC for $2.5K or any of the amounts I see posted on here.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thedeeg
I’m always baffled when I see people posting that they’re hitting EXP with such low EQD. Or the outrage of the number of people who wouldn’t hit EXP with the new 15K EQD limit.

i finished last year on 80K EQM on about 18-20k EQD. But i was mainly domestic Y with a lot of last minute regionals.

I never see any J/F fares TATL or TPAC for $2.5K or any of the amounts I see posted on here.
I agree. And I never find those cheapo J TATL or TPAC flights.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:16 pm

Easy. Many of us do a lot of long haul business travel for organizations that have a Y only travel policy. I am based in the US and travel to India and Europe frequently, and these trips are usually planned 1-2 months in advance (and get discounted fares). I will need to do at least two additional Premium Economy EQD runs (SFO-HKG-SFO and likely PRG-LHR-SFO-LHR-PRG) in order to keep EXP for 2020. My EQMs will likely be about 130-140k by year end. I also had to do a EQD run to hit EXP last year with the 12k minimum spend, and I had 138k EQMs.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

i’m currently at $14,286 EQD AND 128,181 EQM. The bulk of the earning came via...

WDH-JNB-LHR-JFK BA F ~$2.4k
JFK-LHR-ARN BA J (back half of an ex-ARN fare that was about $1.6k total fare)
ALG-MAD-LHR-JFK-MAD-ALG BA/AA/IB J ~$1.4k
SVO-HEL-JFK AY J (back end of a JFK-Moscow fare I started late 2018, about $1.8k total fare)
YYZ-JFK-HEL-SIN AY J (front end of YYZ-JFK-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL-LHR-YYZ) ~$2.5k total fare
HKG-DFW-MEX AA F (front end, return is CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG, was ~1.8k total fare in J, used SWU to F)

then of course a number of shorter flights.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Currently at 53K EQM / 50 EQS on just shy of $7K EQD. Mostly cheap CLT - New York flights, with some west coast mixed in. No international.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PPro
I didn't expect to be close to EXP because of the raise to 15k EQD But a couple of opportunities to book partner miles with the new earning rates gave me a fighting chance.

LAX-DOH-SGN on Qatar ($2800 ticket in J) 4861 EQD
YVR-LAX-LHR-VCE on AA vacations special fare - 3800 EQD (on a $2500 ticket)
SEA-LHR-TXL ($1200 PE ticket on British Air) yielded $2001 EQD
AKL-BNE-LAX-PDX ($1200 OW ticket on Qantas in PE) $1800 EQD

So with a couple of other flights I"m only 2k away and will get that done this summer.
Currently $13,000 EQD and 97,000 EQM...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
98K miles $10.9K.

I have a bunch of INTL later in the year that tend to bulk up my total spend.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Took AA 44 last night, now at 131,816 EQM and still only $14,666 EQD 😂 on 38 segments.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Took AA 44 last night, now at 131,816 EQM and still only $14,666 EQD 😂 on 38 segments.
Eh...this seems fine. It took me 146,808 EQM before I got past the $15K EQD.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.