Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

If I miss connection on award ticket, what happens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Good Evening!

Flying international on AA with 4 people using miles. I know customs/immigration can take a while to clear before catching a connecting domestic flight. What are the chances AA would be able to rebook us on a later flight if we missed our connection due to customs without a fee?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
If you reasonably miss your connecting flight, it's not a matter of if AA will rebook you without a fee, it's just a matter of when there are available flights .
JDiver and AA100k like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: CK or bust
In other words American will treat the tickets like any revenue ticket without regard to award level to enable rebooking on the next available flight at no charge. In IRROPS and in misconnects alike, award inventory isn’t a concern.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nagemnna
Flying international on AA with 4 people using miles. I know customs/immigration can take a while to clear before catching a connecting domestic flight. What are the chances AA would be able to rebook us on a later flight if we missed our connection due to customs without a fee?
All AA flights, checked baggage and USA passports?
What is the time difference between scheduled arrival & scheduled departure?
If your flights were in 1 ticket what is the MCT (min connection time) for that airport/flights?
With separate tickets MCT is not applicable, but a starting guide. Then some extra time for check in, bag drop, security etc.

This flight? Customs at CLT vs MIA and layover time

Be generous with the time between flights. Do not try to push it.

AA thread--> AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
No difference missing a connection on an award ticket than a revenue ticket. But if you need to be overnighted, it will be at your expense
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by unionunionunion
But if you need to be overnighted, it will be at your expense
That is not true. As in any other case, it depends on the reason for the missed connection.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dls25
That is not true. As in any other case, it depends on the reason for the missed connection.
OP has already asked in the context of an immigration delay.

That is definitionally a delay controlled by the appropriate border agency, e.g. CBP for the US, and not AA. Any delay at immigration which requires an overnight will be at your expense unless you find an agent who will violate AA's policy and fudge it for you or you are CK in which case AA simply chooses to cover it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dls25
It's not a connection when you have separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.