Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
(updated 13 April 2019) - to reflect change in policy as retrieved from https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf wef Feb 2019
Note: The change does not address the situation where it is AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in Separate PNRs

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs (words in red wef Feb 2019)
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD- ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR (words in red wef Feb 2019)
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
NOTE: AA is one of the airlines (with BA, IB, QF and possibly others) that won’t through check checked baggage with separate ticketing. Such passengers will have to recover their checked bags at the first ticketed destination, and check it in for the second ticket with the further operating airline.

Examples: SMF-LAX on AA, DOH on Qatar, separate tickpeting: Outbound, passenger must go landslide, recover bags, proceed to appropriate terminal, check in with Qatar Airways. On return, QR will through check, but passenger must recover bags after immigration, process customs and turn in bags at customs baggage forwarding counter.

See Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage issues > 2016
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

My intention is to purchase the following tickets:

Cash fare: HAV-MIA

BA Avios redemption (following day): MIA-DCA

Looking through previous threads, it would appear that AA is unique in that it will offer protection for separately booked tickets in the event of a delay. Does this protection extend to partner redemptions?

I.e. if my evening flight from Havana is delayed or cancelled and I miss my morning flight onward from MIA, will AA get me to DCA (or IAD/BWI)?
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

Looking through previous threads, it would appear that AA is unique in that it will offer protection for separately booked tickets in the event of a delay. Does this protection extend to partner redemptions?

I.e. if my evening flight from Havana is delayed or cancelled and I miss my morning flight onward from MIA, will AA get me to DCA (or IAD/BWI)?
Yes -- but be aware that not all AA agents are aware of the policy, so you might have to escalate to a supervisor. If your HAV-MIA flight is cancelled, AA might even re-route you out of HAV, if it serves other U.S. airports besides MIA from HAV.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Yes--the policy covers oneworld ticketed/operated travel, regardless of method of payment.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: CK or bust
As long as MCT is satisfied at time of booking is met that helps too. If you intentionally ticket two OW segments that couldn’t be ticketed together due to an MCT violation it can make misconnects more difficult to deal with when pushing for application of official policy.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Thanks for the responses. I'll go ahead and get that booked.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:16 pm

Does this only apply if AA is the second carrier? As in, AA connecting to QR on separate tix, I miss the QR flight due to AA delay, QR is not required to protect me, correct?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1
Does this only apply if AA is the second carrier? As in, AA connecting to QR on separate tix, I miss the QR flight due to AA delay, QR is not required to protect me, correct?
The obligation rests with the carrier triggering the missed connection, not the carrier you are connecting to. If the delay involves an AA flight, AA bears responsibility to get you to your destination.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The obligation rests with the carrier triggering the missed connection, not the carrier you are connecting to. If the delay involves an AA flight, AA bears responsibility to get you to your destination.
Interesting. How would that be handled? I'm going into the exact

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 10:54 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
While that is the general policy, AA is unique in that it protects connections AA-AA, AA-OW and OW-AA. Thus, in the example of separate tickets QR-AA, AA would handle a reroute, while QR would not.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shimps1
Interesting. How would that be handled? I'm going into the exact situation tomorrow. I have asked prior and a number of replies have said I essentially have no protection. Going DSM>(Eagle)>ORD, landing 2PM, departing ORD>(QR)>DOH>SEZ 6:10PM. I easily meet the MCT requirement, and it is OW to OW, so would I go to the AA customer service desk if they cause me to miss the QR departure?
In theory AA does offer protection across separate tickets as long as the other carrier is oneworld, as mentioned above. However in practice these situations are still very much YMMV depending on each specific incident. AA's separate ticket protection policy is certainly not very well publicized (buried in some travel agent docs, IIRC), and it's not as easy as just showing up at the ticket counter and getting rebooked 5 mins later.

I have misconnected several times on separate tickets over the years, but in all cases it was the AA flight I missed, so it was easy for AA agents to rebook me to my final destination. Things can get very tricky when it's a separate ticket on another carrier that a delayed AA flight has caused you to miss. In these cases, you'd have to find a very helpful/knowledgeable agent (most likely at an AC) that was willing to liaise with the other carrier to get you rebooked.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Things can get very tricky when it's a separate ticket on another carrier that a delayed AA flight has caused you to miss. In these cases, you'd have to find a very helpful/knowledgeable agent (most likely at an AC) that was willing to liaise with the other carrier to get you rebooked.
Unfortunate, but not surprising. Apparently, there is a "Global Support" team at major oneworld stations. https://www.oneworld.com/global-support

Maybe a proactive agent with "problem" carrier could send a message to this team if one is booked in separate records to facilitate making a close connection or rebooking missed flights.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:34 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA's separate ticket protection policy is certainly not very well publicized (buried in some travel agent docs, IIRC), and it's not as easy as just showing up at the ticket counter and getting rebooked 5 mins later.
I think I remember a website link some time ago? Do we have the official policy document somewhere or know how to best reference it to an AA agent if necessary?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

I find this so confusing. They will not through-check a bag on separate award tickets within OW (ex, CUZ/LIM on LAN; LIM/DFW on AA) that meet MCT and have to purchased separately because of award availability, yet they will do this?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jackonferry
I find this so confusing. They will not through-check a bag on separate award tickets within OW (ex, CUZ/LIM on LAN; LIM/DFW on AA) that meet MCT and have to purchased separately because of award availability, yet they will do this?
Yes. That is AA's (current) policy.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
I posted my experience last fall with separate ticket protection going from AA to BA here: AA to BA protection separate booking - experience

AA flights were delayed by weather. I dealt with AA agents over the phone.

Key takeaway from the experience which might save time in the future...

AA needs to take over control of the other OW ticket, so the agent needs your ticket number. In my case, they merged it into my existing AA PNR, and I was rebooked as if a missed connection on that itinerary.
NYC Flyer and enpremiere like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.