FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:52 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shimps1
Interesting. How would that be handled? I'm going into the exact situation tomorrow. I have asked prior and a number of replies have said I essentially have no protection. Going DSM>(Eagle)>ORD, landing 2PM, departing ORD>(QR)>DOH>SEZ 6:10PM. I easily meet the MCT requirement, and it is OW to OW, so would I go to the AA customer service desk if they cause me to miss the QR departure?
In theory AA does offer protection across separate tickets as long as the other carrier is oneworld, as mentioned above. However in practice these situations are still very much YMMV depending on each specific incident. AA's separate ticket protection policy is certainly not very well publicized (buried in some travel agent docs, IIRC), and it's not as easy as just showing up at the ticket counter and getting rebooked 5 mins later.

I have misconnected several times on separate tickets over the years, but in all cases it was the AA flight I missed, so it was easy for AA agents to rebook me to my final destination. Things can get very tricky when it's a separate ticket on another carrier that a delayed AA flight has caused you to miss. In these cases, you'd have to find a very helpful/knowledgeable agent (most likely at an AC) that was willing to liaise with the other carrier to get you rebooked.