Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver award flight changed - Will not rebook me into earlier service

Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I booked a milesaver BOS-JFK-LHR redemption a few months ago.

The JFK flight was cancelled and the connection was changed to LGA leaving BOS at 2pm. This was a pain but not the end of the world.

I then received another email a couple, stating that the flight had been changed again, putting me on a 5PM flight to JFK. Great I thought, perfect. Upon checking the app however the 5pm flight is actually still to LGA!

This only leaves me with 4 hours before my JFK-LHR which while may easily be long enough, is not as long as Id like to remove the stress factor for me.

I called to to request they moved me to an earlier flight but the lady I spoke to could not offer either the 3 or 4pm flight from BOS as no miler saver seats were available, instead offering an alternative itinerary via ATL.

Considering I originally booked to leave BOS at 12:30pm direct to JFK, should they not be open to putting me on an alternative flight from BOS, considering there is miles (if not Milesaaver) space on all flights?

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Jun 18, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I booked a milesaver BOS-JFK-LHR redemption a few months ago.

The JFK flight was cancelled and the connection was changed to LGA leaving BOS at 2pm. This was a pain but not the end of the world.

I then received another email a couple, stating that the flight had been changed again, putting me on a 5PM flight to JFK. Great I thought, perfect. Upon checking the app however the 5pm flight is actually still to LGA!

This only leaves me with 4 hours before my JFK-LHR which while may easily be long enough, is not as long as Id like to remove the stress factor for me.

I called to to request they moved me to an earlier flight but the lady I spoke to could not offer either the 3 or 4pm flight from BOS as no miler saver seats were available, instead offering an alternative itinerary via ATL.

Considering I originally booked to leave BOS at 12:30pm direct to JFK, should they not be open to putting me on an alternative flight from BOS, considering there is miles (if not Milesaaver) space on all flights?
HUCA situation. They dont need to have any award space to rebook you on their own metal. Try different agent
rumboj, wrp96, JDiver and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Classic illustration of why we use HUCA. It wasnt that she couldnt, its that she wouldnt.
seigex, iskingolf, chitink and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
May require a supervisor but definitely HUCA. The agent is treating it like a voluntary change, in which case there needs to be saver seats available. This was a schedule change so they should have much more latitude to fix it.
JDiver and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Saver inventory need not be available for applicable schedule or even equipment changes (equally true with regards to IRROPs).

HUCA can be especially helpful when dealing with a misinformed AA agent - just not so much with the spouse as I can attest to when I received a denial for an extra fun jaunt around a couple of continents in F. My subsequent attempts at HUCA with Mrs EnPremiere strangely elicited the same reaction from her.

I suppose its because she is not an avid devotee of the ways of FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Saver inventory need not be available for applicable schedule or even equipment changes (equally true with regards to IRROPs).

HUCA can be especially helpful when dealing with a misinformed AA agent - just not so much with the spouse as I can attest to when I received a denial for an extra fun jaunt around a couple of continents in F. My subsequent attempts at HUCA with Mrs EnPremiere strangely elicited the same reaction from her.

I suppose its because she is not an avid devotee of the ways of FlyerTalk.
For HUCA to work in your situation you must have several wives who answer the same phone but don't communicate with each other,
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
This thread emboldened me on a similar situation where the re-schedule made the connection too close for comfort and the initial agent basically stated 'Too bad; so sad!". I am a new devotee of HUCA.
JDiver and linglingfool like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I had something similar, a return CDG-JFK-PHL. AA cancelled JFK-PHL and rerouted me to CDG-JFK, SWF-PHL. Unable to get to a phone, I tweeted AA to see if I could get put on the non-stop CDG-PHL. No dice, since saver wasn't available. When I got a chance to call, the agent seemed surprised by such a connection (and the thought of changing JFK to SWF) and put me on the direct. They should be certainly be able to put you on an easier flight (or even reroute through another AA city such as PHL, ORD, CLT to LHR.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The agent just has to put a certain waiver code in (due to involuntary reschedule) to reissue the ticket to a revenue fare class.
JDiver and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
The agent just has to put a certain waiver code in (due to involuntary reschedule) to reissue the ticket to a revenue fare class.
Thanks for explanation, that makes sense why in these situations I have had the agent put me on hold for 2-3 minutes while they "get approval from a supervisor". They probably have to get someone to approve the use of the waiver code. My guess is that when you get an agent who just says no, they just don't want to go through those extra steps.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Thanks for explanation, that makes sense why in these situations I have had the agent put me on hold for 2-3 minutes while they "get approval from a supervisor". They probably have to get someone to approve the use of the waiver code. My guess is that when you get an agent who just says no, they just don't want to go through those extra steps.
And, when they do that, I would ask for a supervisor.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Just to update and close this off. I called back again today, they offered me a reroute via PHL, but it got in to LHR too early to be convenient for me. The fella I spoke to seemed more than happy to change my flight to one leaving BOS a couple of hours earlier though.

It did take 35 mins on the phone to conclude though! Not a problem for me, I just worked with a headset on, horrific for them though if it was actual time it was taking this guy and the person he was supposedly communicating with to fix!

Thanks again all who advised to HUCA
rumboj, JDiver, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Just to update and close this off. I called back again today, they offered me a reroute via PHL, but it got in to LHR too early to be convenient for me. The fella I spoke to seemed more than happy to change my flight to one leaving BOS a couple of hours earlier though.

It did take 35 mins on the phone to conclude though! Not a problem for me, I just worked with a headset on, horrific for them though if it was actual time it was taking this guy and the person he was supposedly communicating with to fix!

Thanks again all who advised to HUCA
Good to read about you finally got a more willing and competent agent to resolve the issue. A lot of the time is probably spent on the agent waiting to be connected to a supervisor, not the actual time to fix it. There are not many empowered agents i.e. Supervisors, so whenever a higher level of approval is needed the front line agent would be on hold waiting to get to a supervisor - essentially both you and the front line agent were on hold the same time.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.