Wiki Posts
Search

Overbooking question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: All
Overbooking question

I am booked on an AA RT that was originally on an A330-200 both ways. AA recently made an equipment change to an A321(v2) on the way out and 767-300 on the way back. Since both of these birds have less seats than the A330-200 (way less in the case of the A321), I am nearly certain that the flights will not be overbooked—perhaps severely so. This is especially the case for the flight out because it was nearly full when I booked it on the A330, and with the switch to the A321, there are now approx. 60 less seats. Both flights disappeared for new booking purposes when the equipment change was made. The flight is less than a week out, and AA has not contacted me or my traveling companion (she is booked on a different record locator) about alternative arrangements.

My question is whether I should do anything proactively in advance of my flight, and if so what? Alternatively, should I just start thinking about what I would want for a VDB? What is the most you think I will get? (The route is PHL-SFO if that matters). I am on the upgrade list w/ miles, so I am thinking I want to try to score a guaranteed seat up front (if that is available) and substantial cash or voucher comp even for a 2 hour bump. Is that unreasonable? I have flexibility in my schedule, and there are a half dozen other AA nonstops to my destination the same day.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flight may very well be overbooked, but that does not mean it will be oversold. Few flights really are.

AA uses fairly set offers and you may want to consider what it would take to get you to change. But, remember that it is a reverse auction and you don't control that. If AA needs one seat and offers $400, but you want $500, and someone else will take $400, you lose.

AA has tamped down its offers substantially. At one point, it was routinely offering $1,000 on micro-hop commuter flights. For your flight, I would expect an offer topping out at $400-500, rebooking, a meal voucher, and a hotel if the new flight is the next day. If not, it's just as easy for AA to pay out IDB and be done with it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If the flight is overbooked you may be given the ability to put in a VDB offer when you check in. If not get to the gate at T-1 and listen for announcements. But don't get your hopes up. I've seen flights overbooked by 12+ and not only were volunteers not needed in the end standbys were accommodated. You'd be surprised at the number of no shows, cancellations, changes and misconnects. Also you will likely be forced to wait to the end and if you are not needed you might be forced to check bags if all overhead space is gone. The bottom line is that there is no way to guarantee a VDB.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. It sounds like odds are low unless they really are overbooked by 60+ as a result of the equipment change. Maybe AA has even forced or requested changes from others if there was serious overbooking as a result of going from the A330 to the A321. I supposed my wife and I as Plat and EP would not be high on the list for a forced reaccommodation.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any elite is beyond unlikely to be IDB.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The flight may very well be overbooked, but that does not mean it will be oversold. Few flights really are.

AA uses fairly set offers and you may want to consider what it would take to get you to change. But, remember that it is a reverse auction and you don't control that. If AA needs one seat and offers $400, but you want $500, and someone else will take $400, you lose.

AA has tamped down its offers substantially. At one point, it was routinely offering $1,000 on micro-hop commuter flights. For your flight, I would expect an offer topping out at $400-500, rebooking, a meal voucher, and a hotel if the new flight is the next day. If not, it's just as easy for AA to pay out IDB and be done with it.
They don’t even have to pay IDB,

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

If the airline must substitute a smaller plane for the one it originally planned to use, the carrier isn't required to pay people who are bumped as a result.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Here is an update on this situation. AA called me to today to say they are overbooked and looking to re-accommodate me if I was willing. The rep noted that I was on the upgrade list (to be upgraded using miles), and asked if I would be willing to move to a flight 3 hours earlier or later if they confirmed me into first for free. I said I would be willing to do that, but also needed the same for my wife who was on a separate record locator. He said no problem, as they are looking for “more than one volunteer” (the way he said this made it sound like they needed A LOT of volunteers).

The upshot is that we are on a flight 3 hours earlier in complimentary J seats.

I am glad AA was proactive about this. It seemed to me they were going to be overbooked by as many as 60-80 seats, and it would have been a nightmare for gate agents and passengers if they left this to the day of the flight.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kethalmanden
Here is an update on this situation. AA called me to today to say they are overbooked and looking to re-accommodate me if I was willing. The rep noted that I was on the upgrade list (to be upgraded using miles), and asked if I would be willing to move to a flight 3 hours earlier or later if they confirmed me into first for free. I said I would be willing to do that, but also needed the same for my wife who was on a separate record locator. He said no problem, as they are looking for “more than one volunteer” (the way he said this made it sound like they needed A LOT of volunteers).

The upshot is that we are on a flight 3 hours earlier in complimentary J seats.

I am glad AA was proactive about this. It seemed to me they were going to be overbooked by as many as 60-80 seats, and it would have been a nightmare for gate agents and passengers if they left this to the day of the flight.

seems like a good outcome! Are you now in a J booking code for 3x EQM?!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink

seems like a good outcome! Are you now in a J booking code for 3x EQM?!

I am not sure how it will code for purposes of EQM. I hope it is 3x. If the guy had not caught me at work on my way to a meeting, I may have thought to ask for this. We shall see if it codes that way anyway.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I am not sure how it will code for purposes of EQM. I hope it is 3x. If the guy had not caught me at work on my way to a meeting, I may have thought to ask for this. We shall see if it codes that way anyway.
you can check online, load your reservation on AA.com using your first/last name and PNR (or sign in), then click the option to e-mail yourself the itinerary. The e-mail will show the booking code. You should see J (3x), I (2x), D (2x), C (1x) or R (1x).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

When they sent the new confirmation, it shows at J, but still not sure if this will land me 3x EQM. I sure hope so!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When they sent the new confirmation, it shows at J, but still not sure if this will land me 3x EQM. I sure hope so!
Don't necessarily count on the miles staying. AA technology is very good at ferreting out miles given in error.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Don't necessarily count on the miles staying. AA technology is very good at ferreting out miles given in error.
I don't believe I've ever had miles taken away when I've been rebooked in full-fare fare classes during IRROPs. That said, I can't recall a time where I was rebooked in a full-fare fare class in advance. Usually, the rebooking is in the same fare class that I originally booked. This sounds like a special case, however, where OP was upgraded during the rebooking process. I would have thought that AA would simply open up C space, but it sounds like that was not the case.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I don't believe I've ever had miles taken away when I've been rebooked in full-fare fare classes during IRROPs. That said, I can't recall a time where I was rebooked in a full-fare fare class in advance. Usually, the rebooking is in the same fare class that I originally booked. This sounds like a special case, however, where OP was upgraded during the rebooking process. I would have thought that AA would simply open up C space, but it sounds like that was not the case.
Up until last year when during IRROPS I would get rebooked into full Y and got 1.5x EQM. I never had them taken away and those extra EQM helped me just barely make EXP last year. Now full Y only earns 1x EQM, however AA offers EXPs free space available seats in premium economy on the day of departure and I have been getting 1.5x EQM on those. I’ve never had EQM clawed back.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink

Up until last year when during IRROPS I would get rebooked into full Y and got 1.5x EQM. I never had them taken away and those extra EQM helped me just barely make EXP last year. Now full Y only earns 1x EQM, however AA offers EXPs free space available seats in premium economy on the day of departure and I have been getting 1.5x EQM on those. I’ve never had EQM clawed back.
I’ve never had Eqms post as 1.5 after upgrading to PE😱 what am i doing wrong haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.