Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying, Earning, Lounge etc. on oneworld Connect Fiji Airways / FJ 2019 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
On 5 December 2018, Fiji Airways became the first “oneworld connect” airline, offering benefits to members of oneworld airlines’ frequent flyer programs.

Fiji Airways adds seven countries and territories – its Fiji home and the neighbouring South Pacific states of Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Western Samoa - and nine destinations to the oneworld map.

BENEFITS flying one world Connect member Fiji Airways:

All oneworld FFP members will receive:

Customers with Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status in any one world member airline’s frequent flyer programme will be able to use Fiji Airways priority check-in desks, where available, and customers with Emerald or Sapphire oneworld status will be offered priority boarding.

Additional benefits are offered by Fiji Airways to FFP members of its oneworld sponsors airlines (American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas). An AA AAdvantage member with oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status flying Fiji Airways will receive
  • Baggage through-checked to their final destination (i.e. flying AA SAN-LAX and FJ LAX-NAN-SYD)
  • Earning Elite Qualifying Miles, Dollars and Segments, earning and redeeming AAdvantage award miles
  • Lounge access when flying FJ (for AA Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members regardless of class of service flown) (However, FJ flyers have no AA lounge access at this time. That may change.)

https://www.oneworld-connect.com/ Has some images that can be downloaded, including the (confusing) lounge table
https://www.oneworld-connect.com/wp-...lr-300x300.jpg
Chart c/o Business Traveller

Chart c/o The Points Guy

Note: Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF), as well as a oneworld Connect member with AA as a Sponsor (which seems not to have significant impact, compared to CX, JL)..

AAdvantage members earn EQ instruments and award miles flying FJ as follows:

Flying as an AA marketed (“codeshare”) flight, as if flying AA here.

Flying FJ marketed and operated flight, as the FJ chart here on aa.com (NO EQ M, D or S flying FJ as FJ; if flown as AA codeshare, earns as AA.)

No EQ miles if flown as other oneworld (such as CX marketed / codeshares) as FJ is not a full oneworld member).

Flown as a Qantas marketed (“codeshare”) flight, one did until recently earn as here, as if flying AF, but the wording on AA has changed.

Related Resources:

Link to aa.com Fiji Airways earning page

Link to oneworld connect - “a new way for airlines to link up to the world’s premier airline alliance – enabling customers to enjoy more services and benefits across an even more extensive global network.” oneworld web site

Link to introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world’s premier alliance - oneworld web site

Link to Fiji Airways to become first Oneworld Connect partner - Business Traveller

Link to “Fiji Airways Will Join Oneworld (With A Big Catch)” - One Mile At a Time

Link to There’s a New Airline in the Oneworld Alliance (Sort Of) - The Points Guy

Link to Oneworld connecting partner - FT oneworld forum

Link to Introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world's premier alliance - Markets Insider

Link to Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC) - FT British Airways | Executive Club forum

Link to “Fiji Airways becomes first-ever ‘oneworld connect’ member” - The Fiji Times

Link to Fiji Airways website oneworld Connect story.

More about Fiji Airways:

Air Pacific (46% Qantas owned, 51% Fiji government owned) rebranded as Fiji Airways (as of June 2013 - follow the topic and changes here: Air Pacific becoming Fiji Airways (again) & securing three A330-200s (2013) in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs. In 2016, an A330-300 initiated service NAN-LAX, and in 2017 NAN-SFO.

New aircraft, configuration, new baggage limits etc. we’re established in 2016 are in this FT thread.

Business (née Tambua) Class in both (three) A330-200 and (one) -300: 24 Zodiac / Weber 7811 8 degree from horizontal angled lie-flats with A/C and USB, 15.4" screen with Panasonic eX2 AVOD in 2 x 2 x 2 configuration. (The SQ leased 747 offered 28 Tabua seats - not much of a loss here.)

Economy (née Pacific Voyager) Class: 249 (289 in-300) Weber 5751 slim-line with IFE, A/C and USB power in a 2 x 4 x 2 configuration with 31-32" pitch and 7.5" total recline (6" seat back movement, 1.5" seat base movement) and 9" Panasonic touchscreen AVOD with controls in the seatback (not armrest). (747 offered 430 with 32" in Pacific Voyager, a major seat capacity reduction.)

Starting your trip in Nadi in Business Class you will be able to access the new Fiji Airways Premier Lounge (but as FJ is not a full oneworld airline, status other than on oneworld Sponsor airlines AA, BA, CX, QF won’t get you in if you’re in Economy).

"Bula", pronounced mboo-lah, short for "ni sa bula", merely is the typical Fijian "hello" and "welcome"; it's not a class of service. Fiji Airways Premier Lounge is the name for their NAN lounge and VIP club; it is costly and bureaucratically challenging to join - but if you're flying FJ a lot, it offers an additional checked in bag, lounge access and other perqs.

See below for FJ fleet information.

Air Fiji resource links:

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information

Link to Fiji Airways baggage allowance tables

Link to rebranding article showcasing new appearance, symbology, etc.

Link A330-200 seat diagram (PDF document)

The USA saw Fiji Airways A330-300 flight to Los Angeles on January 2016. See Link to article with photos; link to page with information, photos and video (Australian Business Traveller). And FJ serves SFO on select days.

Linkto Airline Reporter illustrated article on the new Fiji Airways A330-200 product

OUR FLEET
Fiji Airways flights are available on modern Boeing and Airbus aircraft, ranging from the 122 seat 737-700 to the brand new A330-200 seating 273. Passengers will enjoy the comfort of our modern fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft, or one of the new Airbus A330-200 aircraft (and new A330-300).

Boeing 737-800 (three, adding 737 MAX 8s)
Total capacity: 164
Saleable configuration: 8 Business Class | 156 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 48" pitch, 18" recline, in-seat video with
6 video channels and 10 audio channels
Economy Class seating: 32" pitch, 6" recline. Drop down screens
every 3 rows, with main screen video and 10 audio channels.

Airbus A330-200 (three)
Total capacity: 273
Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 249 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

Airbus A330-300 (one)
Total capacity: 313
Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 289 Economy Class
Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otters Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
Total capacity: 12

ATR 42-500 Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
Total capacity: 42

A350 XWB: Fiji Airways announced it will lease two new Airbus A350
XWB powered by Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines by the end of 2019 to
serve US and Australia routes. (FJ’s current widebody fleet consists of six
Airbus A330s.)

The FJ A350-900 XWB will feature
33 fully lie flat Rockwell Collins B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Class beds, with full aisle access for every seat
301 Recaro CL3710 seats long-haul economy class seats in Economy
Print Wikipost

Flying, Earning, Lounge etc. on oneworld Connect Fiji Airways / FJ 2019 on

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. You bought the ticket online from AA, but are the flights AA or FJ flightnumbers? Do not assume that fare class is the same with codeshares.
what I held was booked thru aa with aa flight numbers. The lax-nan segments have aa numbers and say “operated by Fiji Airways “. All show O.

I ended up deciding not not to do the trip for a number of reasons, one of many being no EQM incentive 😀 The coach price was decent but for 25+ hrs each way in coach I want a lot of eqms. Not the only reason but a big part.

I may may be looking at this in the future though so I am appreciative of advice. EQM strategy when booking is more complex than I realized.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by erdoran

what I held was booked thru aa with aa flight numbers. The lax-nan segments have aa numbers and say “operated by Fiji Airways “. All show O.

I ended up deciding not not to do the trip for a number of reasons, one of many being no EQM incentive �� The coach price was decent but for 25+ hrs each way in coach I want a lot of eqms. Not the only reason but a big part.

I may may be looking at this in the future though so I am appreciative of advice. EQM strategy when booking is more complex than I realized.
I fail to understand how you’d earn less than 2,402 EQM PHL-LAX and 5,519 EQM LAX-NAN one way on an O class American Airlines marketed fare operated by FJ? There’s something very awry with your calculations.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I fail to understand how you’d earn less than 2,402 EQM PHL-LAX and 5,519 EQM LAX-NAN one way on an O class American Airlines marketed fare operated by FJ? There’s something very awry with your calculations.
This is what the platinum rep told me when I called to ask. She pulled up some sort of a calculator and I heard her saying 300 + 312 plus....

I think one of the previous posters had it right. I asked clearly for EQMs, she must have given me EQDs, because afterwards when I thought about it there IS a 500 EQM/segment minimum, right? Other than basic economy, and I don’t think O class is that.

How do you get your calcs? I still don’t get the relationship between ticket price and EQMs? I know that governs the miles, but are EQMs always related to distance separate from ticket price, other than, of course, fare class? Sorry to seem ditzy here!
Old May 27, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

This is what the platinum rep told me when I called to ask. She pulled up some sort of a calculator and I heard her saying 300 + 312 plus....

I think one of the previous posters had it right. I asked clearly for EQMs, she must have given me EQDs, because afterwards when I thought about it there IS a 500 EQM/segment minimum, right? Other than basic economy, and I don’t think O class is that.

How do you get your calcs? I still don’t get the relationship between ticket price and EQMs? I know that governs the miles, but are EQMs always related to distance separate from ticket price, other than, of course, fare class? Sorry to seem ditzy here!
Economy AA flights with AA flight numbers will post as the actual distance flown. J is twice the distance, Basic Econony is half.

PHL-LAX Is longer than 1000 miles each way, so that's why we are confused as you would earn more.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

The information in this thread is nonsensical. The 35% figure is for redeemable miles, not EQM. For flights on booked into AA flight numbers, you earn EQMs as if it were an AA-operated flight. Doesn't matter that it's on FJ. That's it.

The obvious miscommunication here is that the phone agent was telling you EQDs instead of EQMs. No great sleuthing is required to determine that there is no reasonable alternative explanation.

See here for more:
Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Fiji Airways will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Antarius
see : https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ji-airways.jsp

AA allows earning on FJ. Since they arent OW, you cannot fly FJ and credit it to S7, for example, but since AA and FJ are partners, you can.

maybe partner EQM doesnt show up on aa.com? Still, PHL-LAX is > 1000 EQM, even in basic economy.
AA allows RDM earning on FJ-marketed flights, but the page cited above says nothing about EQM or EQD on such flights. It may be out of date as JDiver said, but typically if a table does not say you earn EQM/EQD then you don't earn it.

(and I did misread EQM as EQD, so some of what I said originally probably didn't make sense)
Old May 27, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

A PHL-LAX-NAN roundtrip booked as AA flight numbers in economy (O) would earn you 15,840 EQM. Additionally, since these are all AA flight numbers, you would earn EQD and RDM based on the fare paid (so ~$1300 minus taxes), not on some percentage calculation of the distance of each segment.

No idea where the agent was getting their information but it was very wrong as mentioned above. FYI, there is no PLT desk, only a PLT phone number that let's you jump the phone queue. Never rely on an AA phone agent for this kind of information, most will have zero training on the ins and outs of AAdvantage related stuff, especially something like an earning question on an obscure partner like FJ.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jridge
AA allows RDM earning on FJ-marketed flights, but the page cited above says nothing about EQM or EQD on such flights. It may be out of date as JDiver said, but typically if a table does not say you earn EQM/EQD then you don't earn it.

(and I did misread EQM as EQD, so some of what I said originally probably didn't make sense)
I don't think the table is out of date--Fiji is joining as a oneworld Connect member, but it doesn't seem like the process is far enough along to allow for EQM/EQD earning other than on AA codeshares.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
AA Connecting to FJ Fiji Airways: Lounge/Baggage/Checkin

Hi All,
I'll be flying DFW-LAX-NAN in September as a OW Sapphire (AA PLT). Wondering if this entitles me to use the FL lounge at DFW and OW lounge at LAX (as FJ is technically just a OW connect airline)?

Also, wondering if anyone else here has made a AA-FJ connection at LAX? I'm ticketed on FJ stock on one ticket from DFW-LAX-NAN and vv. Does anyone know if this means I'll have to go ground-side at LAX and check in with FJ or if AA can issue tickets and bags all the way to NAN (FJ says AA can do this, but AA says they can't)? If this should go to a different thread, apologies, and please move.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TexasAussie
Hi All,
I'll be flying DFW-LAX-NAN in September as a OW Sapphire (AA PLT). Wondering if this entitles me to use the FL lounge at DFW and OW lounge at LAX (as FJ is technically just a OW connect airline)?

Also, wondering if anyone else here has made a AA-FJ connection at LAX? I'm ticketed on FJ stock on one ticket from DFW-LAX-NAN and vv. Does anyone know if this means I'll have to go ground-side at LAX and check in with FJ or if AA can issue tickets and bags all the way to NAN (FJ says AA can do this, but AA says they can't)? If this should go to a different thread, apologies, and please move.

Thanks!
We’ve merged into a new thread with a Wikipost that answers some of your questions. I’m not sure as to the FJ boarding passes, though I’m fairly sure you can get them issued at the gate. If you can’t get both BPs at DFW, I’d suggest trying at the LAX A Club / Flagship Lounge, and if they can’t help have them call the FJ counter to verify they’ve got you manifested, you’re there and can collect your BP at the gate. You might have to go landslide, but I’d hope not because TBIT security can be a drag and you won’t get Pre Check flying on FJ AFAIK.

Lounge access should not be a problem: FL in DFW because AA is a Sponsor airline, as well as in LAX. oneworld Business lounge is uncertain because of the oneworld Connect status. If you try it, let us know; that lounge is certainly more convenient for the FJ TBIT departure.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TexasAussie

So all flight FJxxx? (Not AAyyy)
By " if AA can issue tickets" I guess you mean boarding passes.
AA will (should?) through check baggage when all one ticket
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So all flight FJxxx? (Not AAyyy)
By " if AA can issue tickets" I guess you mean boarding passes.
AA will (should?) through check baggage when all one ticket
Booked with FJ, on the AA app it shows up as AA2777 connecting onto FJ811. Don't know if that makes a difference, but when booked it was a FJ codeshare, operated by American (for the leg DFW-LAX and vv). And yes, my question was whether or not AA can issue me boarding passes for LAX-NAN, i assumed they at least have an interline for the baggage, although would like to confirm if anyone else has experience with AA-FJ connections.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Flagship Lounge Access at DFW/LAX when connecting to FJ

Are there any updates on Flagship Lounge access when flying FJ? I'm AA EXP, flying on Business class AA award ticket - AA to DFW-LAX then connecting FJ LAX-NAN. Wondering if I'll have Flagship Lounge access at DFW and LAX or One World Lounge access at LAX? It does not look like it based on the American or OneWorld websites.

I'm at least an Admirals Club member so at a minimum will be able to access Admirals Clubs day of travel.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Deleted
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:55 pm

Just saw there is another thread on this topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.