Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Pacific becomes Fiji Airways (again) & securing A330-200s (2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Air Pacific is rebranding with a new / old name and color scheme to Fiji Airways, as well as acquiring new Airbus A330-200s - expected completion the end of 2013. (One assumes they might return the two currently operated Singapore 747-400s on lease.)

Link

Fiji Airways
14 May 2012

FIJI’S NATIONAL AIRLINE ACHIEVES ANOTHER MILESTONE IN TURNAROUND STRATEGY

New name, new aircraft, increased frequency, and improved product

The latest initiatives in the turnaround strategy of Air Pacific, Fiji’s National Carrier, have been revealed, including a rebranding of the airline and a return to its 1958 name of ‘Fiji Airways’.

The move is the latest in a series of initiatives that are part of a 360 degree review and restructure of the airline, which has seen the flag carrier reverse losses, improve its schedules and network, and make significant investments in new aircraft and its onboard product.

After posting an improved operating performance in FY 2010/11 (an operating loss of F$3.6 million compared to F$91.8 million in FY2009/10) the additional changes at the airline are part of the final phase of activities designed to return the airline to sustainable profitability.

‘Fiji Airways’ was the name of the airline between 1958 and 1970. The name was changed to ‘Air Pacific’ in 1970 to reflect its greatly expanded regional presence. The new move will see the airline more closely aligned with its proud Fijian heritage and its role as Fiji’s largest inbound and outbound airline.

“Globally there is high consumer awareness of Fiji as a holiday destination. We want to strengthen that association and also promote Fiji in every country we fly to. Returning to ‘Fiji Airways’ will better reflect our role as Fiji’s national carrier, and also assist Fiji by growing tourism and interest in the nation,” said David Pflieger, Air Pacific’s Managing Director and CEO. “Our airline is one of Fiji’s largest companies employing 800 people directly and an estimated 8,000 or so indirectly, and we fly in over 60% of all visitors who come to Fiji, so it only makes sense for us to embrace our uniquely Fijian culture and spirit, characteristics which have seen Fiji consistently recognised by consumers as one of the world’s friendliest countries and no doubt helped us win a recent award as one of the top ten small airlines in the world.”

Pflieger added, “Our rebranding is part of an overall turnaround plan – a plan that is working well and should, with continued focus and effort, help us thrive and grow as the preferred airline of the South Pacific.

“In 2010/2011 Air Pacific and Pacific Sun carried a combined 1.1million passengers on 15,000 flights. This represents a year-on-year increase of 37,000 additional passengers which helped increase revenue by F$40 million – at the same time non-fuel costs were reduced by F$13 million.

“With a strong offering of outstanding resorts, hotel properties and diverse activities, we see a lot of opportunity to grow the profile of Fiji as both a final destination and a stopover destination for our long-haul services to Los Angeles and Hong Kong.”

“Our recent investment in new aircraft, a new inflight product, a new airport lounge, and better service, should also position us to capture more of Fiji’s high-end leisure travel market,” said Mr. Pflieger.

Today’s announcement marks another important milestone in the continued turnaround of Fiji’s national carrier, an effort that has already been marked by increased flights between Fiji and Sydney, an aircraft order for three brand new A330-200 aircraft, an order for Rolls-Royce’s Trent 700 engines, and other work focussing on revitalising and modernising the airline’s product and services.

Air Pacific’s transition to its new livery and brand will be a methodical and planned process, expected to be fully completed by the end of 2013. Air Pacific’s new fleet of A330-200’s, which are due to be delivered in 2013, will come equipped with the airline’s new brand and colour scheme, but the brand will be rolled out across the marketplace, ticket offices, check-in counters, airport lounge facilities, and the company’s official website and advertising over the upcoming 18 months.

###
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Revealed: Air Pacific’s new A330 livery & cabin

http://flymefunky.com/2012/10/reveal...ics-new-a330s/

After months of nail-biting anticipation, Air Pacific (or should we say Fiji Airways) has finally released details of its new aircraft livery and revamped cabin product to be delivered on its new A330 aircraft. The new birds are expected to take to the skies next year.

Dave Pflieger, Air Pacific's MD and CEO, today said:

"The unveiling of the new look and features of our soon-to-arrive A330's is the latest milestone in a series of initiatives that are a part of the Air Pacific's restructuring and rebranding. We couldn't think of a better way to honour Fiji's national day holiday than to share a first glimpse of the exciting things in store for Fiji and our passengers".
What do you think? I love the cabin and the product. Much nicer than the current offering (obviously) and will ensure a more comfortable ride for passengers. Wouldn’t mind a stop in Nadi if I’m ever flying to the US - hopefully Air Pacific's pricing stays just as competitive.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
looks quite nice.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
looks quite nice.
Stark contrast to the current offering - looking forward to giving it a whirl!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I have used the 747's many times and the occasional 767 and have to say the J product was not that bad, particularly for the SYD-NAN run. Longer distances maybe not so good but not that long ago (OK, 10 years) those 747 J seats were AN F then J seats to HKG. People thought they were pretty good then.

Sure the IFE leaves a lot to be desired on the old birds.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I have used the 747's many times and the occasional 767 and have to say the J product was not that bad, particularly for the SYD-NAN run.
Absolutely - have had a few great flights in the nose of the 747 and it really felt like stepping back in time. Nostalgic. The IFE certainly left a lot of be desired so thank god for iPads!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:21 pm

PS... I love how the airline has incorporated more of its heritage into the design rather than that gaudy island theme they currently have.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Do we know what routes they will be flying? Am hoping it will offer a CHC-NAN-LAX or CHC-NAN-HKG connection avoiding Auckland!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:53 pm

I believe the new bird will be on SYD, AKL, HKG and LAX.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bula! The really good news - during 2013, the newly branded and redesigned Fiji Airways will introduce three Airbus A330-200s into service, retiring the leased in SQ B-747-400s.

Video on new website (7 min) here and on youtube here.

The new Tabua Class, according to Australian Business Traveller, will have spiffy new Weber flat angled seats, like Virgin Atlantic's A330s have:

Economy / Pacific Voyager will have new Weber slimline seats with 7.5" recline and seatback IFE:

and a collage

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reason: add / update
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:50 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Looks way nicer than the FJ flight I took to Fiji seven or so years ago.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:04 pm

it will be interesting to see if Qantas Frequent Flyer earning on FJ changes given that this name change followed the removal of the Qantas reps on the airline board and effective full takeover by the Fiji government.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:05 am

BIGGITY-BUMP!!

Very nice as I will be flying PDX-LAX-NAN-SYD in Sept and am hoping I will be on this as opposed to the 747.

Anybody have any reliable info on the LAX-NAN-SYD routes flying on 330 metal? From all I have heard the Australia-AKL-HKG-LAX routes would be the first to get the 2/3 new 330s by the time I fly with the last coming in Nov, however they also say the 747s will be phased out in Dec 2013m leaving a few months of availability, or will the Australia-AKL-HKG-LAX routes get them all.

I figure worse comes to worst I would have a 66% chance, but does has anybody heard any definitive info?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I was checking for flights late this year from LA -- still listed as using the 747's.

My wife and I are looking at Fiji Airlines Business Class (via Alaska miles) for a trip LA/Brisbane (via Nadi), and then return Christchurch or Auckland (via Nadi).

14 months ago, we flew outbound LA/Nadi/Auckand and return Christchurch/Nadi/LA. Again, Business Class.

Fiji Airlines with the 330's and lie flats would move up our preference list for arranging the flights for 2014.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
I was checking for flights late this year from LA -- still listed as using the 747's.

My wife and I are looking at Fiji Airlines Business Class (via Alaska miles) for a trip LA/Brisbane (via Nadi), and then return Christchurch or Auckland (via Nadi).

14 months ago, we flew outbound LA/Nadi/Auckand and return Christchurch/Nadi/LA. Again, Business Class.

Fiji Airlines with the 330's and lie flats would move up our preference list for arranging the flights for 2014.
Yeah saw that too but they have said that they will be running the 330s from NAN to Australia-AKL-HKG-LAX with them set to recieve all 3 330s by november.

Looking on their website I do not see any flights that book the 330 as of yet, even in Dec when the 747s are due to be phased out and all 3 of the 330s should be operating on the above stated routes, I have not been able to find the 330s listed on the reservation page.

Dec 15-25th is the latest most routes will allow booking and they all still list the 747 as the plane, when it should be retired by then.

Anyways, signed up for the alert when the Fiji Air website pops up so hopefully when that goes live the routes will be updated and I can get good news on the 330s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.